Forum > Gaming Discussion > Robio's Handheld Extravaganza! - IT'S A WRAP - Final Reviews
Robio's Handheld Extravaganza! - IT'S A WRAP - Final Reviews
<< prevnext >>
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 2590
News Posts: 64
Joined: 2009-03-24
 
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 01:49:07

phantom_leo said:

ASK_Story said:
Am I weird for not liking TWEWY?

Yes. Yes you are. Let's just leave it at that and ignore the rest of what you wrote.   >: (


I guess to TWEWY fans, I'm prohibited to share my own opinion. Nyaa


Edited: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 01:50:46

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now Playing: Golden Sun Dark Dawn, God of War Ghost of Sparta, and DKC Returns

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 18292
News Posts: 2097
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 02:15:43

ASK_Story said:

phantom_leo said:

ASK_Story said:
Am I weird for not liking TWEWY?

Yes. Yes you are. Let's just leave it at that and ignore the rest of what you wrote.   >: (


I guess to TWEWY fans, I'm prohibited to share my own opinion. Nyaa


Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion...

...except when it is totally wrong...  Nyaa

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 15936
News Posts: 715
Joined: 2009-02-25
 
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 02:45:35

Okay so Boxlife is a pretty fun game.  It has a real quirky little intro that makes you smile, but sadly that doesn't transition into the rest of the gameplay.  Not to say it's bad, but it is basic. You are presented a board of squares that you have to cut into smaller pieces and turn them into cubes.  So far it doesn't change and I don't expect it to.  Adding some strange little backgrounds or cut-scenes would help keep things interesting, but I suppose that's kind of going against the the whole Art Style mantra of keeping it simple.

So I wouldn't put it in the upper eschelon of puzzle games, but for $5 this is worth it.  It's not exactly a "can't put it down" kind of puzzle game, but it does keep you coming back trying to finish up a level or retry one that you didn't quite pass.  Excellent time waster and something good to keep coming back to for a while.  

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46270
News Posts: 59731
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:36:40

ASK_Story said:
Am I weird for not liking TWEWY? I'm sorry to the fans who like this garbag--"I mean"--game, but it just didn't hook me like I wanted it too. I bought into the hype and wasted $40. Biggest waste of money on a game in my life, ever!

But Hotel Dusk was cool. That and the entire Pheonix Wright series drained away precious hours of my life. I felt so empty when I finished Trials and Tribulations. That's how much I was engulfed in the game.

You hate TWEWY and yet love Hotel Dusk. I haven't even played TWEWY and I still hate you 50% Nyaa


avatar
Country: US
Comments: 15936
News Posts: 715
Joined: 2009-02-25
 
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 18:13:21

Here's a neat feature that BoxLife has.  The game offers two modes.  R&D which is essentially the "complete 10 levels in XX minutes" and then Factory which is a giant sheet of squares that you have to make as many boxes as possible and leaving as little waste as you can.  When playing Factory you earn money if you create more boxes than waste, and as it accumulates you earn rewards:


What are the rewards?  See the top screen that has the farm background?  The rewards are new tiles to put into that space.  So far I've only unlocked 3 or 4 but it's a neat incentive to keep playing that mode.  And as you go, the unlockable tiles turn it from a farm to. . . well something more urban I guess.  Here's an example:

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 2590
News Posts: 64
Joined: 2009-03-24
 
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:57:04

gamingeek said:

ASK_Story said:
Am I weird for not liking TWEWY? I'm sorry to the fans who like this garbag--"I mean"--game, but it just didn't hook me like I wanted it too. I bought into the hype and wasted $40. Biggest waste of money on a game in my life, ever!

But Hotel Dusk was cool. That and the entire Pheonix Wright series drained away precious hours of my life. I felt so empty when I finished Trials and Tribulations. That's how much I was engulfed in the game.

You hate TWEWY and yet love Hotel Dusk. I haven't even played TWEWY and I still hate you 50% Nyaa


Ouch! That hurts right there!

But I just couldn't get into TWEWY. I  just couldn't. I tried but I gave up. Sold it the next day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now Playing: Golden Sun Dark Dawn, God of War Ghost of Sparta, and DKC Returns

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 18292
News Posts: 2097
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:34:52

ASK_Story said:

gamingeek said:

ASK_Story said:
Am I weird for not liking TWEWY? I'm sorry to the fans who like this garbag--"I mean"--game, but it just didn't hook me like I wanted it too. I bought into the hype and wasted $40. Biggest waste of money on a game in my life, ever!

But Hotel Dusk was cool. That and the entire Pheonix Wright series drained away precious hours of my life. I felt so empty when I finished Trials and Tribulations. That's how much I was engulfed in the game.

You hate TWEWY and yet love Hotel Dusk. I haven't even played TWEWY and I still hate you 50% Nyaa


Ouch! That hurts right there!

But I just couldn't get into TWEWY. I  just couldn't. I tried but I gave up. Sold it the next day.

You gave up on TWEWY...

...after...

...one...

...day...

...?!?...

You never even gave it a proper chance!

I didn't even like it the first day or two!

I hereby dub thee "Minuteman."

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 2590
News Posts: 64
Joined: 2009-03-24
 
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:50:13

phantom_leo said:

ASK_Story said:

gamingeek said:

ASK_Story said:
Am I weird for not liking TWEWY? I'm sorry to the fans who like this garbag--"I mean"--game, but it just didn't hook me like I wanted it too. I bought into the hype and wasted $40. Biggest waste of money on a game in my life, ever!

But Hotel Dusk was cool. That and the entire Pheonix Wright series drained away precious hours of my life. I felt so empty when I finished Trials and Tribulations. That's how much I was engulfed in the game.

You hate TWEWY and yet love Hotel Dusk. I haven't even played TWEWY and I still hate you 50% Nyaa


Ouch! That hurts right there!

But I just couldn't get into TWEWY. I  just couldn't. I tried but I gave up. Sold it the next day.

You gave up on TWEWY...

...after...

...one...

...day...

...?!?...

You never even gave it a proper chance!

I didn't even like it the first day or two!

I hereby dub thee "Minuteman."

Usually I warm up to games and find enjoyment, but I played TWEWY for hours and I just couldn't get into it. Too much Nomura I guess.

Hopefully Kingdom Hearts is better.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now Playing: Golden Sun Dark Dawn, God of War Ghost of Sparta, and DKC Returns

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 15745
News Posts: 1040
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 14 Jul 2009 06:18:55

ASK_Story said:

phantom_leo said:

ASK_Story said:

gamingeek said:

ASK_Story said:
Am I weird for not liking TWEWY? I'm sorry to the fans who like this garbag--"I mean"--game, but it just didn't hook me like I wanted it too. I bought into the hype and wasted $40. Biggest waste of money on a game in my life, ever!

But Hotel Dusk was cool. That and the entire Pheonix Wright series drained away precious hours of my life. I felt so empty when I finished Trials and Tribulations. That's how much I was engulfed in the game.

You hate TWEWY and yet love Hotel Dusk. I haven't even played TWEWY and I still hate you 50% Nyaa


Ouch! That hurts right there!

But I just couldn't get into TWEWY. I  just couldn't. I tried but I gave up. Sold it the next day.

You gave up on TWEWY...

...after...

...one...

...day...

...?!?...

You never even gave it a proper chance!

I didn't even like it the first day or two!

I hereby dub thee "Minuteman."

Usually I warm up to games and find enjoyment, but I played TWEWY for hours and I just couldn't get into it. Too much Nomura I guess.

Hopefully Kingdom Hearts is better.


 The original isn't! 

    Children, our lives have been gongs striking; clamour and boasting; cries of despair; blows on the nape of the neck in gardens.

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 15936
News Posts: 715
Joined: 2009-02-25
 
Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:50:37

Since the DSiware didn't produce anything worth a damn this week I went ahead and picked up Pictobits.  I was very iffy about this game at first.  Seemed to play like Tetris for toddlers at first.  No strategy seemed to be required and that was a big concern.  Then all of the sudden once you get to the 6th level or so it all hits you and everything gets hard and fortunately that's where it all gets good.  It's just one of those games that has no appeal until it becomes difficulty (like most puzzlers I suppose).

Tough game to explain how the gameplay works but essentially you're trying to match up blocks of the same color, and once they're matched up they become bits and move to the top of the screen and fill in the space to create an old 8 bit Nintendo character.  New blocks fall while a number of existing bits are already at the bottom of the screen.  

And like most DSi Art Style games this one has little bonuses as well.  This time you can buy music with the coins you win while playing the levels.  Not sure why you'd want it though as the music is pretty rough and doesn't always sound like the original.  

Anyway, it's another good $5 buy.  This week I'll probably be sticking with puzzlers and finish up The Minish Cap, and then next week move on to something new and a little meatier on the DS.

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46270
News Posts: 59731
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:17:09
Do you think that DSi is worth it robio?

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 15936
News Posts: 715
Joined: 2009-02-25
 
Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:52:54

It depends on two things:

1.  Do you care about the DSiware games?

2.  Do you still play a lot of GBA games?

I have a separate system for GBA games, and I've enjoyed most of the Art Style games so to me the extra $40 is worth the month.  Plus the extra screen size and brightness is really nice.  And the weight of it just feels right. It's a little heavier and not doesn't feel real plasticy. As far as the other features, I don't think the cameras are really worth a damn other than sheer novelty, and I haven't even touched the music application just yet.  

For me yes it was worth it, but I wouldn't go out and say everyone has to have this.  There isn't a killer DSiware app yet and if you have a DSLite then you're almost on par with the screen size and brightness.  

avatar
Country: CY
Comments: 7370
News Posts: 30
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Wed, 15 Jul 2009 14:11:08

robio said:

It depends on two things:

1.  Do you care about the DSiware games?

2.  Do you still play a lot of GBA games?

I have a separate system for GBA games, and I've enjoyed most of the Art Style games so to me the extra $40 is worth the month.  Plus the extra screen size and brightness is really nice.  And the weight of it just feels right. It's a little heavier and not doesn't feel real plasticy. As far as the other features, I don't think the cameras are really worth a damn other than sheer novelty, and I haven't even touched the music application just yet.  

For me yes it was worth it, but I wouldn't go out and say everyone has to have this.  There isn't a killer DSiware app yet and if you have a DSLite then you're almost on par with the screen size and brightness.  

my DSlite's touch screen is getting more and more "off", especially the bottom part of it.  i tried to calibrate it countless times but it doesn't help at all.  it's got worse over time to the point where i can now no longer play puzzle games (playing my beloved picross with the touch-screen is now infuriating) or other games which require precision with the touch-screen like trauma-center or ouendan.

i'm thinking about upgrading to the DSi but i won't if it has a shoddy touch-screen as well, i'd rather go back to my original DS which i never had a problem with, except it now feels too heavy and not bright enough.

___

Listen to Wu-Tang and watch Kung-Fu

The VG Press

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 15936
News Posts: 715
Joined: 2009-02-25
 
Sat, 18 Jul 2009 15:35:02

One big update and one big score for me this weekend.  

First, I've finished up The Minish Cap. Not the best Zelda game by any mean, but it's still a good adventure game all the same.  I think it was just a little too cutesy and that kind of made it feel less of a Zelda game than the others in the series.  Other criticisms would be that the boss battles are tremendously easy (though that seems to be a Zelda trend these days), the Kinstone matching quests are just pains in the ass more than anything else, and the overall game lacked series challenge (though there were some pretty rough spots I'll admit).

All that being said it was still fun and worth the time. An "okay" Zelda game is still better than 90% of the games out there you know?  Capcom did well enough with this one that they honored the franchise.  No question about that.  I would recommend it.  

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 15936
News Posts: 715
Joined: 2009-02-25
 
Sat, 18 Jul 2009 15:46:47

And now onto my big score.  Earlier today I was screwing around on Wikipedia looking for any updates on Dragon Quest IX and the DQ VI remake on the DS.  While doing that I came across a page on Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart.  I'd totally forgotten about this game. It was the third in the DQM series, and the only one never to be translated.  It was one of those games that got lost in the shuffle during the Square-Enix merger.  

I've always been bummed about that.  The game got good reviews in Japan and had an interesting story that actually linked Dragon Quest II and Dragon Quest VII .  Furthermore it was agreed by most people that the game had so much content in it that it was unlikely any translation group would want to try and tackle it.  Apparently this didn't dissuade the good people over at the KaioShin translation group.  It took them two years of work, but sometime in 2008 these guys got the job done and put out a translation patch.  

Long story short I now I have a translated version of this and will be playing it on the Dingoo for the next week or so.  Getting my hands on games like these and playing them how they were intended to be played was one of the big reasons I picked up the Dingoo.  I shall enjoy this.  

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46270
News Posts: 59731
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sat, 18 Jul 2009 21:03:33

Minish cap is great Happy

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 2590
News Posts: 64
Joined: 2009-03-24
 
Sat, 18 Jul 2009 22:07:21

gamingeek said:

Minish cap is great Happy

I agree. Much, MUCH better than Phantom Hourglass. Minish Cap is what PH should've been.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now Playing: Golden Sun Dark Dawn, God of War Ghost of Sparta, and DKC Returns

avatar
Country: CY
Comments: 7370
News Posts: 30
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Sat, 18 Jul 2009 23:36:17

ASK_Story said:

gamingeek said:

Minish cap is great Happy

I agree. Much, MUCH better than Phantom Hourglass. Minish Cap is what PH should've been.

how so?  minish cap is minish cap, it's a great game no more no less.  why should phantom hourglass be the same game all over again?

___

Listen to Wu-Tang and watch Kung-Fu

The VG Press

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 15936
News Posts: 715
Joined: 2009-02-25
 
Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:01:50
Blah, Phantom Hourglass was much much better than the Minish Cap.  PH actually added to the series in a meaningful way.  There were genuine challenges in the dungeons.  Exploring was rewarded with more than kinstones that unlocked. . . more kinstones.  Plus, and I will argue this until I'm blue in the face, the mapping system was the single best addition to the Zelda series since riding on horseback. Mapping felt natural, easy to do, and actually filled a need that the series had.  With as much as there is to do and see in Zelda games, mapping and making notes on a map just felt like the ultimate addition that was long overdue.
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46270
News Posts: 59731
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sun, 19 Jul 2009 17:03:13
I still dont know why PH is so divisive.

<< prevnext >>
Log in or Register for free to comment
Recently Spotted:
*crickets*
Login @ The VG Press
Username:
Password:
Remember me?