Forum > Gaming Discussion > Robio's Handheld Extravaganza! - IT'S A WRAP - Final Reviews
Robio's Handheld Extravaganza! - IT'S A WRAP - Final Reviews
next >>
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 15926
News Posts: 715
Joined: 2009-02-25
 
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 15:29:24
0

I'll be damned if Vader and Iga are the only ones who are going to have their own vanity posts.  I'm jumping on board and I have damn good reason to.  Between picking the DSi and the Dingoo (portable emulator thingy) I've sort of shifted away from the Wii and am now hitting all sorts of handheld games.

The first round up is Hotel Dusk, The World Ends With You, and the Minish Cap.  Hotel Dusk has taken up most of my time and since I beat it last night that'll get my first review.

Overall it was a good adventure game, but it left me a little disappointed.  I sort of anticipated something a little more grim and gritty.  Between being a mystery game and it's art style I guess I was expecting something a little more noir, and that really wasn't the case.  Lots of happy endings and again, that wasn't what I expecting.  

Themes and moods aside it was still a very solid game.  For the most part it didn't fall into the trappings of a lot of adventure games where you're forced to stop playing and open up a guide or FAQ because you didn't do one very minor thing.  It did happen a few times, but it was very rare (twice in my case) and unfortunately that's just one of the flaws of point and click adventures.  For the most part everything was very logical and made sense so long as you were willing to think for a moment or two.  

So it gets my stamp of approval provided you're a fan of adventure/mystery games.  Check it out if you missed it.

Edited: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 00:36:00
avatar
Country: CY
Comments: 7370
News Posts: 30
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 15:35:54
0
those three games are all killer.  i understand your complaints about hotel dusk.  and you may have some minor annoyances about the world ends with you though i trust what you get from the game will far outweigh those (plus it is something of a god of trendy for games Nyaa )  minish cap is more than a great game, it's a great zelda.
Edited: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 15:36:26

___

Listen to Wu-Tang and watch Kung-Fu

The VG Press

avatar
Country: MX
Comments: 11479
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 15:40:27
0
Damn. I need to get Hotel Dusk and TWEWY as well.
The Minish Cap doesn't interest me in the slightest.
avatar
Country: NL
Comments: 9410
News Posts: 9625
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 15:48:26
0

SteelAttack said:
Damn. I need to get Hotel Dusk and TWEWY as well.
The Minish Cap doesn't interest me in the slightest.

 How many Zelda's and Metroids have you actually played?

The VG Press
avatar
Country: MX
Comments: 11479
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 15:54:02
0

Iga_Bobovic said:

SteelAttack said:
Damn. I need to get Hotel Dusk and TWEWY as well.
The Minish Cap doesn't interest me in the slightest.

How many Zelda's and Metroids have you actually played?

Metroid games? Zero. As in, nada.

Zelda games? I played a bit of the first NES one, a bit more of the second one, another bit of a LTTP and that's it. No 3D Zelda for me.


avatar
Country: CY
Comments: 7370
News Posts: 30
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 15:56:16
0

SteelAttack said:
The Minish Cap doesn't interest me in the slightest.

GASP

why?  what good reason could you possibly have not to be interested such a good game?

___

Listen to Wu-Tang and watch Kung-Fu

The VG Press

avatar
Country: MX
Comments: 11479
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 15:58:07
0

bugsonglass said:

SteelAttack said:
The Minish Cap doesn't interest me in the slightest.

GASP

why?  what good reason could you possibly have not to be interested such a good game?

How come you guys always manage to make me feel like a freak in a room full of them? LOL

I guess I'm not too keen on Zelda games. Nyaa

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 15926
News Posts: 715
Joined: 2009-02-25
 
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:07:04
0

SteelAttack said:
Damn. I need to get Hotel Dusk and TWEWY as well.
The Minish Cap doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Truth be told I wasn't interested in the game either. That's why I never bought it when I actually had a GBA or a DS with the GBA slot.  But I figured I had nothing to lose by playing on the Dingoo.  I'm surprised at just how good it is, though I really shouldn't have been.  It's a perfect mix of the light heartedness of Link's Awakening, the gameplay of Link to the Past, and the themes and music of the modern 3-D Zeldas.

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 15926
News Posts: 715
Joined: 2009-02-25
 
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:09:28
0

bugsonglass said:
those three games are all killer.  i understand your complaints about hotel dusk.  and you may have some minor annoyances about the world ends with you though i trust what you get from the game will far outweigh those (plus it is something of a god of trendy for games Nyaa )  minish cap is more than a great game, it's a great zelda.

The more I play the World Ends With You, the more I like it (lord help me I'm even starting to like the music).   The game has a much steeper learning curve than I'm used to so that's kind of put a damper on it at first. I mean for god's sake there's even a learning curve when it comes to how you earn your money from battles!!!  But I'm just starting Chapter 4 now, and it was pretty hard to put down.

avatar
Country: NL
Comments: 9410
News Posts: 9625
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:09:47

SteelAttack said:

Iga_Bobovic said:

SteelAttack said:
Damn. I need to get Hotel Dusk and TWEWY as well.
The Minish Cap doesn't interest me in the slightest.

How many Zelda's and Metroids have you actually played?

Metroid games? Zero. As in, nada.

Zelda games? I played a bit of the first NES one, a bit more of the second one, another bit of a LTTP and that's it. No 3D Zelda for me.


 Download Super Metroid now! Not sure what Zelda you should start with, but buy Twilight Princess for the simple fact that you can ride a horse. Your daughter should like it!

The VG Press
avatar
Country: CY
Comments: 7370
News Posts: 30
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 18:34:08

robio said:

bugsonglass said:
those three games are all killer.  i understand your complaints about hotel dusk.  and you may have some minor annoyances about the world ends with you though i trust what you get from the game will far outweigh those (plus it is something of a god of trendy for games Nyaa )  minish cap is more than a great game, it's a great zelda.

The more I play the World Ends With You, the more I like it (lord help me I'm even starting to like the music).   The game has a much steeper learning curve than I'm used to so that's kind of put a damper on it at first. I mean for god's sake there's even a learning curve when it comes to how you earn your money from battles!!!  But I'm just starting Chapter 4 now, and it was pretty hard to put down.

yep, i hope you listened to my advice the first time when i told you to lower your level to nothing more than what is absolutely necessary to survive 4 battles in a row at any given time, otherwise you won't be getting any decent drops.  also take care of the clothes you wear.  as the king of trendy it should come natural to you but do make sure you don't wear (or use pins of) the unpopular brands at any given area as that puts you at a disadvantage

___

Listen to Wu-Tang and watch Kung-Fu

The VG Press

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46248
News Posts: 59731
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 19:26:43

robio said:

I'll be damned if Vader and Iga are the only ones who are going to have their own vanity posts.  I'm jumping on board and I have damn good reason to.  Between picking the DSi and the Dingoo (portable emulator thingy) I've sort of shifted away from the Wii and am now hitting all sorts of handheld games.

The first round up is Hotel Dusk, The World Ends With You, and the Minish Cap.  Hotel Dusk has taken up most of my time and since I beat it last night that'll get my first review.

Overall it was a good adventure game, but it left me a little disappointed.  I sort of anticipated something a little more grim and gritty.  Between being a mystery game and it's art style I guess I was expecting something a little more noir, and that really wasn't the case.  Lots of happy endings and again, that wasn't what I expecting.  

Themes and moods aside it was still a very solid game.  For the most part it didn't fall into the trappings of a lot of adventure games where you're forced to stop playing and open up a guide or FAQ because you didn't do one very minor thing.  It did happen a few times, but it was very rare (twice in my case) and unfortunately that's just one of the flaws of point and click adventures.  For the most part everything was very logical and made sense so long as you were willing to think for a moment or two.  

So it gets my stamp of approval provided you're a fan of adventure/mystery games.  Check it out if you missed it.

Uh, I wouldn't class Hotel Dusk as having happy endings. I suppose it depends on what ending you saw. I would say the ending was more melancholic and reflective. I also thought it was quite brilliant the way the writing brought all the characters into relevancy.

SteelAttack said:

bugsonglass said:

SteelAttack said:
The Minish Cap doesn't interest me in the slightest.

GASP

why?  what good reason could you possibly have not to be interested such a good game?

How come you guys always manage to make me feel like a freak in a room full of them? LOL

I guess I'm not too keen on Zelda games. Nyaa

The first two are shit and you only played a little of a LTTP? Damn boyo, just download Ocarina on the VC and go from start to end. Or just buy Twilight Princess instead.

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 15926
News Posts: 715
Joined: 2009-02-25
 
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 20:36:31

gamingeek said:

robio said:

I'll be damned if Vader and Iga are the only ones who are going to have their own vanity posts.  I'm jumping on board and I have damn good reason to.  Between picking the DSi and the Dingoo (portable emulator thingy) I've sort of shifted away from the Wii and am now hitting all sorts of handheld games.

The first round up is Hotel Dusk, The World Ends With You, and the Minish Cap.  Hotel Dusk has taken up most of my time and since I beat it last night that'll get my first review.

Overall it was a good adventure game, but it left me a little disappointed.  I sort of anticipated something a little more grim and gritty.  Between being a mystery game and it's art style I guess I was expecting something a little more noir, and that really wasn't the case.  Lots of happy endings and again, that wasn't what I expecting.  

Themes and moods aside it was still a very solid game.  For the most part it didn't fall into the trappings of a lot of adventure games where you're forced to stop playing and open up a guide or FAQ because you didn't do one very minor thing.  It did happen a few times, but it was very rare (twice in my case) and unfortunately that's just one of the flaws of point and click adventures.  For the most part everything was very logical and made sense so long as you were willing to think for a moment or two.  

So it gets my stamp of approval provided you're a fan of adventure/mystery games.  Check it out if you missed it.

Uh, I wouldn't class Hotel Dusk as having happy endings. I suppose it depends on what ending you saw. I would say the ending was more melancholic and reflective. I also thought it was quite brilliant the way the writing brought all the characters into relevancy.

Every character came into that hotel with a problem. They all weren't solved, but by the end of the game they all were at least given hope that things were going to work out.  I'd say that's happpy enough.  At the end, everyone is feeling better, at least in the version that I saw.  

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 31188
News Posts: 1716
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 23:14:42

Hotel Dusk was pretty cool, I pretty much agree totally, I thought the story was more film noir style.  

Minish Cap is good, not my favorite handheld Zelda though.

660896.png
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 15926
News Posts: 715
Joined: 2009-02-25
 
Wed, 01 Jul 2009 02:21:34

Also worth mentioning is Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini's March Again.  It's. . .  ehhhhh.  Nothing special.  I didn't have to pay for it, as I got 1000 free DSi points when I registered it with Club Nintendo, but I probably wouldn't have been happy if I had to drop $8 for it.  

It's a very basic game. You set the minis out to go from Point A to Point B and there's obstacles in between them. You need to pick up coins, cards, and other stuff in between to get a Gold Star ranking.  Problem is, even in the advanced levels it all seems very basic.  It never gets that hard.  For the most part all you do is move blocks with the stylus so that they have platforms in spots where they need one.  As long as you're quick enough there's not much challenge.  

So serious puzzle fans will be disappointed.  My 3 year old on the other hand seems to like it, so I guess maybe that's the target.

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6343
News Posts: 411
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 01 Jul 2009 02:48:36
robio said:

Also worth mentioning is Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini's March Again.  It's. . .  ehhhhh.  Nothing special.  I didn't have to pay for it, as I got 1000 free DSi points when I registered it with Club Nintendo, but I probably wouldn't have been happy if I had to drop $8 for it.  

It's a very basic game. You set the minis out to go from Point A to Point B and there's obstacles in between them. You need to pick up coins, cards, and other stuff in between to get a Gold Star ranking.  Problem is, even in the advanced levels it all seems very basic.  It never gets that hard.  For the most part all you do is move blocks with the stylus so that they have platforms in spots where they need one.  As long as you're quick enough there's not much challenge.  

So serious puzzle fans will be disappointed.  My 3 year old on the other hand seems to like it, so I guess maybe that's the target.

I distinctly recall stating to avoid that game at all cost.

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46248
News Posts: 59731
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 01 Jul 2009 12:19:21

robio said:

gamingeek said:

robio said:

I'll be damned if Vader and Iga are the only ones who are going to have their own vanity posts.  I'm jumping on board and I have damn good reason to.  Between picking the DSi and the Dingoo (portable emulator thingy) I've sort of shifted away from the Wii and am now hitting all sorts of handheld games.

The first round up is Hotel Dusk, The World Ends With You, and the Minish Cap.  Hotel Dusk has taken up most of my time and since I beat it last night that'll get my first review.

Overall it was a good adventure game, but it left me a little disappointed.  I sort of anticipated something a little more grim and gritty.  Between being a mystery game and it's art style I guess I was expecting something a little more noir, and that really wasn't the case.  Lots of happy endings and again, that wasn't what I expecting.  

Themes and moods aside it was still a very solid game.  For the most part it didn't fall into the trappings of a lot of adventure games where you're forced to stop playing and open up a guide or FAQ because you didn't do one very minor thing.  It did happen a few times, but it was very rare (twice in my case) and unfortunately that's just one of the flaws of point and click adventures.  For the most part everything was very logical and made sense so long as you were willing to think for a moment or two.  

So it gets my stamp of approval provided you're a fan of adventure/mystery games.  Check it out if you missed it.

Uh, I wouldn't class Hotel Dusk as having happy endings. I suppose it depends on what ending you saw. I would say the ending was more melancholic and reflective. I also thought it was quite brilliant the way the writing brought all the characters into relevancy.

Every character came into that hotel with a problem. They all weren't solved, but by the end of the game they all were at least given hope that things were going to work out.  I'd say that's happpy enough.  At the end, everyone is feeling better, at least in the version that I saw.  

I see what you mean. They weren't happy HAPPY endings and most of the characters were pretty tragic. I think having a resolution, a journey for them from start to end was quite brilliant, the way the game was written. It has a few coincidences but the way the story is done, for a game is exceedingly good.

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 15926
News Posts: 715
Joined: 2009-02-25
 
Wed, 01 Jul 2009 13:05:28

Yodariquo said:
robio said:

Also worth mentioning is Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini's March Again.  It's. . .  ehhhhh.  Nothing special.  I didn't have to pay for it, as I got 1000 free DSi points when I registered it with Club Nintendo, but I probably wouldn't have been happy if I had to drop $8 for it.  

It's a very basic game. You set the minis out to go from Point A to Point B and there's obstacles in between them. You need to pick up coins, cards, and other stuff in between to get a Gold Star ranking.  Problem is, even in the advanced levels it all seems very basic.  It never gets that hard.  For the most part all you do is move blocks with the stylus so that they have platforms in spots where they need one.  As long as you're quick enough there's not much challenge.  

So serious puzzle fans will be disappointed.  My 3 year old on the other hand seems to like it, so I guess maybe that's the target.

I distinctly recall stating to avoid that game at all cost.

You did, but you never said why so I had to make sure you just weren't being a dick.

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 15743
News Posts: 1040
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 02 Jul 2009 05:19:50
I really need to finish The Minish Cap one day, but playing the GBA: SP gives me severe athritits.

    Children, our lives have been gongs striking; clamour and boasting; cries of despair; blows on the nape of the neck in gardens.

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 15926
News Posts: 715
Joined: 2009-02-25
 
Fri, 03 Jul 2009 15:46:02

Just finished up with the first 7 days of TWEWY.  I knew it wasn't going to be over yet, but for some reason I'm tweaked that I'm still playing.  It's not like in Okami where I felt I was done and didn't want to play anymore after the Orochi, but I'm not overly interested in the game now.  Part of it is due to the new unlikeable partner.  I get why I'm partnered with him, but he is so genuinally unlikeable that it's killing my interest in the game.  

I may switch over to Minish Cap for a while or maybe Riviera - The Promise Land.

next >>
Log in or Register for free to comment
Recently Spotted:
*crickets*
Login @ The VG Press
Username:
Password:
Remember me?