Forum > Gaming Discussion > Dvaders summer gaming pass thread.
Dvaders summer gaming pass thread.
next >>
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31738
News Posts: 1717
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 02:24:20
0
I just picked up a monthly pass at blockbuster so I will be renting a bunch of games, some of which will be terrible.  Since I have no limit I will just rent at will. When I went in yesterday there were no games I wanted to rent, stuff like Prototype, Red Faction, Bionic Commando, etc. So I ended up with Terminator Salvation, I have played for about 3 hours and I am almost done.

The game is crap, it is as generic a 3rd person shooter as I have ever seen. There is no hook to the gameplay, nothing unique to distinguish itself from the other shooters.  It plays like every damn shooter, and it has the average cover system. It has the usual weapons you see in every game. The whole game so far is a linear string of battles, these battles have about three types of enemies, It repeats ad nauseam, every once and a while there is a boring car chase. There are no hidden secrets, no real trophies, nothing extra at all. It is as basic a game that I have seen, no effort went into this at all.

At least for the most part it works, its a generic shooter but it works. There is a co-op component to the game, I will not try it but I can see how the game will work fine with it as some enemies require a distraction. Your partner AI is invincible, so no need to worry about them, they will do what is needed. The game does have a few weird glitches, sound issues and is frozen on me once. Oh and the game does not follow the movie at all, it doesn't even have Christian Bale as John Conner. Thank god its short.
660896.png
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 16219
News Posts: 1043
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 05:19:33
0
For a minute I thought i was reading about The Conduit. Nyaa

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31738
News Posts: 1717
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 06:38:56
0

And I finished it, took me about 6 hours, I died a lot or the game froze a few times. No final boss to speak of, its the same 3 enemies the ENTIRE game. No real strategy to anything, no inventiveness with the setpieces. It plays ok, its not like its broken. The lack of any effort into making this game interest me pisses me off more than if it was broken but at least tried something. Piece of shit.

My score:  4.5

660896.png
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31738
News Posts: 1717
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 06:49:44
0
I get to rent something new tomorrow. They have both Overlord 2 and Overlord Wii I'm not going to rent both, any reason I should choose the Wii one over the PS3 one.
660896.png
avatar
Country: CY
Comments: 7370
News Posts: 30
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 08:33:22
0
reviews have been mixed for both games.  around 7ish mostly.  both games sound like missed oppportunities

___

Listen to Wu-Tang and watch Kung-Fu

The VG Press

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 48106
News Posts: 59776
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 11:30:13
0
Sounds awesome. 

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 17735
News Posts: 764
Joined: 2009-02-25
 
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:48:32
0

Dvader said:
I get to rent something new tomorrow. They have both Overlord 2 and Overlord Wii I'm not going to rent both, any reason I should choose the Wii one over the PS3 one.

They're completely different games with completely different stories.  It's not like a Ghostbusters thing here where they've got minor differences, but essentially still the same.  

Of the three sources that have reviewed both games, IGN and Game Informer rated Overlord: DL better, while 1up rated Overlord 2 better.  

avatar
Country: CA
Comments: 14096
News Posts: 0
Joined: 2008-07-01
 
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:46:44
0

Yeah that pass is a pretty good deal. I'll probably be getting it sometime soon myself. There's some Wii games I'd like to rent like The Conduit, Madworld, Overkill, Deadly Creatures, and maybe even Castlevania Judgement. I'd also use it for some 360 that don't make my 'to buy' list because of lack of funds or even garbage games like Terminator. No not because it has easy achievements. Well ok that is why, who am I kidding. I'm such a whore. LOL

1176413.png

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 17735
News Posts: 764
Joined: 2009-02-25
 
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:49:35
0

Archangel3371 said:

Yeah that pass is a pretty good deal. I'll probably be getting it sometime soon myself. There's some Wii games I'd like to rent like The Conduit, Madworld, Overkill, Deadly Creatures, and maybe even Castlevania Judgement. I'd also use it for some 360 that don't make my 'to buy' list because of lack of funds or even garbage games like Terminator. No not because it has easy achievements. Well ok that is why, who am I kidding. I'm such a whore. LOL

Stay the hell away from Castlevania Judgment unless you just want to see firsthand how bad it is.  I do not understand how that game even got released. Controls are completely broken and looks like hell.  It's just painful to play.

avatar
Country: CO
Comments: 11520
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:55:53
+1

Archangel3371 said:

Yeah that pass is a pretty good deal. I'll probably be getting it sometime soon myself. There's some Wii games I'd like to rent like The Conduit, Madworld, Overkill, Deadly Creatures, and maybe even Castlevania Judgement. I'd also use it for some 360 that don't make my 'to buy' list because of lack of funds or even garbage games like Terminator. No not because it has easy achievements. Well ok that is why, who am I kidding. I'm such a whore. LOL


LOL Somewhere in London, Gamingeek just soiled his undergarments in a violent bowel explosion that reached 4.3 degrees in the Richter Scale.

avatar
Country: CA
Comments: 14096
News Posts: 0
Joined: 2008-07-01
 
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 18:23:58

robio said:


Archangel3371 said:


Yeah that pass is a pretty good deal. I'll probably be getting it sometime soon myself. There's some Wii games I'd like to rent like The Conduit, Madworld, Overkill, Deadly Creatures, and maybe even Castlevania Judgement. I'd also use it for some 360 that don't make my 'to buy' list because of lack of funds or even garbage games like Terminator. No not because it has easy achievements. Well ok that is why, who am I kidding. I'm such a whore. LOL

Stay the hell away from Castlevania Judgment unless you just want to see firsthand how bad it is.  I do not understand how that game even got released. Controls are completely broken and looks like hell.  It's just painful to play.

 

Yeah all reason tells me to avoid it but it's like some horrendous car crash I just gots to know.

SteelAttack said:

Archangel3371 said:

Yeah that pass is a pretty good deal. I'll probably be getting it sometime soon myself. There's some Wii games I'd like to rent like The Conduit, Madworld, Overkill, Deadly Creatures, and maybe even Castlevania Judgement. I'd also use it for some 360 that don't make my 'to buy' list because of lack of funds or even garbage games like Terminator. No not because it has easy achievements. Well ok that is why, who am I kidding. I'm such a whore. LOL

LOL Somewhere in London, Gamingeek just soiled his undergarments in a violent bowel explosion that reached 4.3 degrees in the Richter Scale.

Then my plan has worked and I have achieved victory. Achievement Unlocked. LOL

1176413.png

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 48106
News Posts: 59776
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 19:20:01

robio said:

Dvader said:
I get to rent something new tomorrow. They have both Overlord 2 and Overlord Wii I'm not going to rent both, any reason I should choose the Wii one over the PS3 one.

They're completely different games with completely different stories.  It's not like a Ghostbusters thing here where they've got minor differences, but essentially still the same.  

Of the three sources that have reviewed both games, IGN and Game Informer rated Overlord: DL better, while 1up rated Overlord 2 better.  

 1up gave Overlord 2 an A- and Dark Legend a B+. 

That's like a 7.9 vs an 8.1. 

Most reviews say that Dark Legend is better for people new to the franchise, but that its not challenging. 

Archangel3371 said:

robio said:


Archangel3371 said:


Yeah that pass is a pretty good deal. I'll probably be getting it sometime soon myself. There's some Wii games I'd like to rent like The Conduit, Madworld, Overkill, Deadly Creatures, and maybe even Castlevania Judgement. I'd also use it for some 360 that don't make my 'to buy' list because of lack of funds or even garbage games like Terminator. No not because it has easy achievements. Well ok that is why, who am I kidding. I'm such a whore. LOL

Stay the hell away from Castlevania Judgment unless you just want to see firsthand how bad it is.  I do not understand how that game even got released. Controls are completely broken and looks like hell.  It's just painful to play.

 

Yeah all reason tells me to avoid it but it's like some horrendous car crash I just gots to know.

SteelAttack said:

Archangel3371 said:

Yeah that pass is a pretty good deal. I'll probably be getting it sometime soon myself. There's some Wii games I'd like to rent like The Conduit, Madworld, Overkill, Deadly Creatures, and maybe even Castlevania Judgement. I'd also use it for some 360 that don't make my 'to buy' list because of lack of funds or even garbage games like Terminator. No not because it has easy achievements. Well ok that is why, who am I kidding. I'm such a whore. LOL

LOL Somewhere in London, Gamingeek just soiled his undergarments in a violent bowel explosion that reached 4.3 degrees in the Richter Scale.

Then my plan has worked and I have achieved victory. Achievement Unlocked. LOL

 You don't even deserve to rent Overkill. But yeah, Deadly Creatures is a solid RENTAL. 

I hope a chainsaw pops out of the Madworld box and cuts your hobo beard off. 

Pffft, let me know how Conduit is. 

avatar
Country: CA
Comments: 776
News Posts: 0
Joined: 2009-05-09
 
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 20:31:21
Hey has anybody tried dawn of discovery yet? That's a rental at least.
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 19117
News Posts: 9141
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 22:11:35

angrymonkey said:
Hey has anybody tried dawn of discovery yet? That's a rental at least.

I've not got my copy yet. So you've played it?

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31738
News Posts: 1717
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:51:46

Archangel3371 said:

Yeah that pass is a pretty good deal. I'll probably be getting it sometime soon myself. There's some Wii games I'd like to rent like The Conduit, Madworld, Overkill, Deadly Creatures, and maybe even Castlevania Judgement. . LOL

Not one of those games are at my Blockbuster. I would rent ALL of those, but my BB only carries games made by Nintendo, games with a major license, or kiddie crap.

660896.png
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31738
News Posts: 1717
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:52:06

My second game is Bionic Commando. Its awesome! I love it so far, swinging around is a blast. The guns do kind of suck but I use my arm mostly so its no big deal. There is nothing like swing up to a rooftop, throw a grenade into a pile of enemies and quickly jump off the building and swing away. Or pulling a street sign down on enemies. My favorite aspect is that the game has a ton of side missions to complete as you play, stuff like kill X amount of enemies using melee attacks, or do consecutive swings, basically stuff you would see for achievements. Here its tied into the game so as you earn them you get bonuses. The area of the game has hidden items which I love finding, some require great swinging technique to grab. Its almost like the BC rearmed challenges but incorporated into the main game.


660896.png
avatar
Country: CA
Comments: 776
News Posts: 0
Joined: 2009-05-09
 
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 04:55:34

aspro73 said:

angrymonkey said:
Hey has anybody tried dawn of discovery yet? That's a rental at least.

I've not got my copy yet. So you've played it?

I just picked it up and played the tutorial. Just like I expected from reviews. Nicely done interface, good voice acting, just haven't played it enough to judge the gameplay. I think it will be an enjoyable resource game - pretty good deal for the price.

Possible downside -  I've enjoyed games like sim city, tropico, civilization, etc and dawn may not have enough novelty or complexity or challenge to keep me interested for multiple attempts. But it's a very polished effort so far. This would definitely be the game I would show to anyone that wanted an intro to the whole city building resource genre.

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 19117
News Posts: 9141
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 05:12:33

angrymonkey said:

aspro73 said:

angrymonkey said:
Hey has anybody tried dawn of discovery yet? That's a rental at least.

I've not got my copy yet. So you've played it?

I just picked it up and played the tutorial. Just like I expected from reviews. Nicely done interface, good voice acting, just haven't played it enough to judge the gameplay. I think it will be an enjoyable resource game - pretty good deal for the price.

Possible downside -  I've enjoyed games like sim city, tropico, civilization, etc and dawn may not have enough novelty or complexity or challenge to keep me interested for multiple attempts. But it's a very polished effort so far. This would definitely be the game I would show to anyone that wanted an intro to the whole city building resource genre.

Thanks for the capsule. I'm basically looking for Simcity on a console (think either the original through Simcity 3000),  so hopefully that's it. I don;t want too much complexity in a console simulation.

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 48106
News Posts: 59776
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 09:59:09

angrymonkey said:
Hey has anybody tried dawn of discovery yet? That's a rental at least.

It's a buy in quiet period. I'm going to wait on a price drop but it's a solid 8.4 game by most counts. Looks really good and I have to try it eventually. In fact I'm going to search online for it today. It's cheaper in the US though, $30 I hear.

angrymonkey said:

aspro73 said:

angrymonkey said:
Hey has anybody tried dawn of discovery yet? That's a rental at least.

I've not got my copy yet. So you've played it?

I just picked it up and played the tutorial. Just like I expected from reviews. Nicely done interface, good voice acting, just haven't played it enough to judge the gameplay. I think it will be an enjoyable resource game - pretty good deal for the price.

Possible downside -  I've enjoyed games like sim city, tropico, civilization, etc and dawn may not have enough novelty or complexity or challenge to keep me interested for multiple attempts. But it's a very polished effort so far. This would definitely be the game I would show to anyone that wanted an intro to the whole city building resource genre.

I hear that once the main game is done you are into free mode, where the game really begins. I dont want a complex sim game, I hear this game is polished, intuitive and faster paced, as well as addictive. This is what I want.

avatar
Country: CA
Comments: 776
News Posts: 0
Joined: 2009-05-09
 
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 19:40:14
Played some more, not even halfway through the story/tutorial mode yet. Think I'll turn the hints down, they're  a little too much. 
"place your farm..NOW" 
look around the island
"place your farm..NOW" 
check out the warehouse
"place your farm..NOW" 

aspro73 said:

Thanks for the capsule. I'm basically looking for Simcity on a console (think either the original through Simcity 3000),  so hopefully that's it. I don;t want too much complexity in a console simulation.

 You'll like this point from a review I found then 

"What this reminded us most of was the first SimCity, before the series became bogged down in uninteresting details and was still fast paced enough that any console owner could enjoy it."

next >>
Log in or Register for free to comment
Recently Spotted:
*crickets*
Login @ The VG Press
Username:
Password:
Remember me?