Forum > Gaming Discussion > Dvaders summer gaming pass thread.
Dvaders summer gaming pass thread.
<< prevnext >>
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31189
News Posts: 1716
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Wed, 01 Jul 2009 23:01:51

Bionic Commando continues to be great. I just finished the second boss, not as good as the first but nobody does scale like Capcom. The first boss fight had you swinging around this rooftop fighting a helicopter. Imagine swinging on support beams as a hail of machine gun fire is trying to kill you. As you are swinging you are trying to lock on with your rocket laucher, you get the lock on, you fire and swing off to safety as missles hit the area you were just at. Its exhilarating combat at times.

Most shooters are planted on the ground, this game gives you the vertical space as well as the horizontal, there really isnt much like it. I have been trying to do all the challenges and find all collectables so its been a slow crawl through the game for me. It has been frustrating a few times, especially areas with snipers. I love challenges and this game gives me just the right amount. I honestly dont get the critic reviews on this one, this is one of the better games I have played this year.


660896.png
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31189
News Posts: 1716
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Thu, 02 Jul 2009 20:27:08

Bionic Commando is done, platinum. The ending had to be one of the most colossal failures in gaming history, and that includes the final "boss" or whatever that was. That aside its a great game, really unique combat style that kept me entertained to the very end.  Grin nailed the swinging mechanics because of that the game works. Could it have been better sure, I read GSs review in which it states that the levels are to empty at times, that the game teases you with possibilities. I guess it's accurate, it sort of stays in it's own comfort zone but I felt it had plenty of big set pieces and cool action moments.  While the levels are linear in nature the game provides maps with plenty of room to play around with. The gunplay is simple, I feel with some tweaks this game could easily be one of the best of the year and it starts with the gunplay. Maybe they should have added a sort of slow motion trigger, that way you can actually shoot decently while swinging. The guns definetely need more pop to them it feels like you got pea shooters. Perhaps some more variety to them. I did like that every single gun was useful in its own way, so many games give you a bunch of weapons you never use, this game makes sure to have a clear advantage for each.

I felt the game had a good length with plenty of side items and challenges to discover as well. The story is terrible, i dont understand what happened especially considering how simple a concept the original had. It worked for that game I dont get what they were trying to do with this one. Eh who cares about that anyway. There are some good boss fights but sadly they get progressively worse as the game goes on. Graphically I feel its on of the more beautiful games to look at not cause of graphical power but because of asthetics, it's very green with some beautiful vistas to look at.  Some areas seem like an homage to areas from the original.  The music is superb, think classical music mixed with the NES soundtrack. I hardly tried multiplayer, to be fair it was almost impossible to find a game but from what I played it seemed ok, nothing great.

Overall one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I have had this year. Sure the game could use a bit more polish, maybe some more enemy variety. They could improve the combat signficantly with a sequel (which will never happen with those sales... Sad ) but a very enjoyable first effort.  So glad I got to play it.

Overall Score: 8.5


660896.png
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31189
News Posts: 1716
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Thu, 02 Jul 2009 20:30:01
For my next game I rented CoD WoW. I missed out on it last year so I will try it out now.
660896.png
avatar
Country: NL
Comments: 9410
News Posts: 9625
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 02 Jul 2009 21:58:36

Dvader said:
For my next game I rented CoD WoW. I missed out on it last year so I will try it out now.

So, you plan to bore us to dead? Nyaa

On a more serious note, what games are available for renting? 

Edited: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 22:01:19
The VG Press
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31189
News Posts: 1716
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Fri, 03 Jul 2009 00:49:58

Iga_Bobovic said:

Dvader said:
For my next game I rented CoD WoW. I missed out on it last year so I will try it out now.

So, you plan to bore us to dead? Nyaa

On a more serious note, what games are available for renting?

Oh shut up.

Some of the games they have to rent (but of course I have to wait until someone returns it) that I have yet to play are Prototype, Red Faction, UFC, Overlord 2, Fight Night 4, Valkaria Chronicals, Wanted, Legends of Wrestlemania, Transformers,  Eat Lead, Afro Samurai, Turok.

For the Wii they have Indiana Jones, Up, Ghostbusters, Overlord Overkill, Endless Ocean, Transformers, Tenchu, Soul Calibur Legends, Medal of Honor all the Rabbids games, every crappy party game, cooking games.  All the really awesome Wii games are missing minus Nintendo games.

660896.png
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31189
News Posts: 1716
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Fri, 03 Jul 2009 00:52:44

Started WoW, what can I say other than its technically superb. Production values through the roof, perfect 60 FPS, amazing set pieces, perfect controls. The only issue is that its formulaic, it seems to be following the CoD guidebook on how to make a CoD game. So while its not new or interesting like Bionic Commando was, it does the linear roller coaster style FPS better than anyone. So far I like CoD4 better but this is no ugly step brother game, it's worthy of CoD name so far. Tried multiplayer for a little way, great but again I like CoD4 more. I am going to enjoy it for sure, it's such a well made game.

660896.png
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6343
News Posts: 411
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 03 Jul 2009 03:03:23
Dvader said:

Started WoW, what can I say other than its technically superb. Production values through the roof, perfect 60 FPS, amazing set pieces, perfect controls. The only issue is that its formulaic, it seems to be following the CoD guidebook on how to make a CoD game. So while its not new or interesting like Bionic Commando was, it does the linear roller coaster style FPS better than anyone. So far I like CoD4 better but this is no ugly step brother game, it's worthy of CoD name so far. Tried multiplayer for a little way, great but again I like CoD4 more. I am going to enjoy it for sure, it's such a well made game.

You really need to avoid referring to Call of Duty by the moniker "WoW"

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 15743
News Posts: 1040
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 03 Jul 2009 06:05:45

Dvader said:

Iga_Bobovic said:

Dvader said:
For my next game I rented CoD WoW. I missed out on it last year so I will try it out now.

So, you plan to bore us to dead? Nyaa

On a more serious note, what games are available for renting?

Oh shut up.

Some of the games they have to rent (but of course I have to wait until someone returns it) that I have yet to play are Prototype, Red Faction, UFC, Overlord 2, Fight Night 4, Valkaria Chronicals, Wanted, Legends of Wrestlemania, Transformers,  Eat Lead, Afro Samurai, Turok.

For the Wii they have Indiana Jones, Up, Ghostbusters, Overlord Overkill, Endless Ocean, Transformers, Tenchu, Soul Calibur Legends, Medal of Honor all the Rabbids games, every crappy party game, cooking games.  All the really awesome Wii games are missing minus Nintendo games.

All the really awesome wii games are bolded and available. Nyaa

    Children, our lives have been gongs striking; clamour and boasting; cries of despair; blows on the nape of the neck in gardens.

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31189
News Posts: 1716
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Fri, 03 Jul 2009 06:13:45

Yodariquo said:
Dvader said:

Started WoW, what can I say other than its technically superb. Production values through the roof, perfect 60 FPS, amazing set pieces, perfect controls. The only issue is that its formulaic, it seems to be following the CoD guidebook on how to make a CoD game. So while its not new or interesting like Bionic Commando was, it does the linear roller coaster style FPS better than anyone. So far I like CoD4 better but this is no ugly step brother game, it's worthy of CoD name so far. Tried multiplayer for a little way, great but again I like CoD4 more. I am going to enjoy it for sure, it's such a well made game.

You really need to avoid referring to Call of Duty by the moniker "WoW"

Oops. WaW, WoW same difference. Nyaa

660896.png
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31189
News Posts: 1716
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Fri, 03 Jul 2009 06:16:33

Foolz said:

Dvader said:

Iga_Bobovic said:

Dvader said:
For my next game I rented CoD WoW. I missed out on it last year so I will try it out now.

So, you plan to bore us to dead? Nyaa

On a more serious note, what games are available for renting?

Oh shut up.

Some of the games they have to rent (but of course I have to wait until someone returns it) that I have yet to play are Prototype, Red Faction, UFC, Overlord 2, Fight Night 4, Valkaria Chronicals, Wanted, Legends of Wrestlemania, Transformers,  Eat Lead, Afro Samurai, Turok.

For the Wii they have Indiana Jones, Up, Ghostbusters, Overlord Overkill, Endless Ocean, Transformers, Tenchu, Soul Calibur Legends, Medal of Honor all the Rabbids games, every crappy party game, cooking games.  All the really awesome Wii games are missing minus Nintendo games.

All the really awesome wii games are bolded and available. Nyaa

Oops again, I meant Overlord Wii which I got mixed up with HotD for some reason. No Overkill, just HotD 2 and 3.

660896.png
avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 15743
News Posts: 1040
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 03 Jul 2009 09:14:26
Call of Duty: World of Warcraft, and now House of the Dead: Overlord! When will it end?!

    Children, our lives have been gongs striking; clamour and boasting; cries of despair; blows on the nape of the neck in gardens.

avatar
Country: NL
Comments: 9410
News Posts: 9625
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 03 Jul 2009 09:19:29

Okay rent both Overlords, UFC and Fight Night

Buy Valkyria or hand in your Sega pas!

The VG Press
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46253
News Posts: 59731
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 03 Jul 2009 09:43:48

World at war is a decent game. It has issues with spawn points and linearity and the never ending grenade at the feet. It's very satisfying for its 6 hr running time and I played through it twice.

Kiefer shouting non-stop is annoying otherwise.

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31189
News Posts: 1716
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Fri, 03 Jul 2009 17:25:33

Foolz said:
Call of Duty: World of Warcraft, and now House of the Dead: Overlord! When will it end?!

My Blockbuster has unique games to rent. LOL

660896.png
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31189
News Posts: 1716
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Fri, 03 Jul 2009 17:26:34

Iga_Bobovic said:

Okay rent both Overlords, UFC and Fight Night

Buy Valkyria or hand in your Sega pas!

I am not renting Valkyria, thats still on the buy list. I will not get both Overlords, I am trying to get a fast turnaround with these games and I hear Overlord 2 is about a 20 hour game. Plus one is enough.

660896.png
avatar
Country: NL
Comments: 9410
News Posts: 9625
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 03 Jul 2009 18:03:04

Dvader said:

Iga_Bobovic said:

Okay rent both Overlords, UFC and Fight Night

Buy Valkyria or hand in your Sega pas!

I am not renting Valkyria, thats still on the buy list. I will not get both Overlords, I am trying to get a fast turnaround with these games and I hear Overlord 2 is about a 20 hour game. Plus one is enough.

 Then rent the Wii version. It's more streamlined, less frustrating and shorter!

P.S. I said buy Valkyria, and LKS. You can get that one for cheap, just hack your Wii!

The VG Press
avatar
Country: CY
Comments: 7370
News Posts: 30
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Fri, 03 Jul 2009 19:06:31
i want to buy valkyria chronicles at some point but i fear it will be like fire emblem: radiant dawn for me, in that by the time it's cheap enough for me to bite it will start being sold out everywhere.  same with disgaea 3.

call of duty games are too expensive.  i found modern warfare (ordinary edition not GotY) for £25 online but that may be still too much for a 6-7 hour FPS since i'd never really play online.

vader, do try endless ocean

___

Listen to Wu-Tang and watch Kung-Fu

The VG Press

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46253
News Posts: 59731
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 03 Jul 2009 19:36:44

LOL What the hell is point of renting Endless Ocean?

The main game lasted me 20 hrs and then I played for another 23 more.

He runs his wii through a HDTV too, so jag-city.

Jag city on whales.

Not a good combination.

avatar
Country: CY
Comments: 7370
News Posts: 30
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Fri, 03 Jul 2009 19:56:56
well, he's not going to buy it so he may as well rent it to see what he's missing.  and he won't exactly worry about not seeing the ending

___

Listen to Wu-Tang and watch Kung-Fu

The VG Press

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46253
News Posts: 59731
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 03 Jul 2009 20:03:13

bugsonglass said:
well, he's not going to buy it so he may as well rent it to see what he's missing.  and he won't exactly worry about not seeing the ending

He might as well buy Aquaria, it's only 10 hours long, has the HD graphics he likes and is multiregion. In fact you as a PS3 owner should have it too, while I suffer in silence Sad

<< prevnext >>
Log in or Register for free to comment
Recently Spotted:
*crickets*
Login @ The VG Press
Username:
Password:
Remember me?