Circa 2015 I got a message sharing a mutual love of terrible movies, and has been a struggle to make sure we can continue to be the Statler to the other's Waldorf.

This has involved meeting in the mutually accessible Chicago proper and delight in Costa Rican cuisine, only to find ourselves trapped in a dazed and confused uber that made me 30 minutes late to my return bus (which was even later).

A sudden and insane series of housing emergencies resulting in moving her from Wisconsin to Windsor in a weekend to stay for 5 months while waiting to start a PhD program.

Moving her in a little Kia hatchback with a trunk full of books via a 10 hour car drive, and stumbling into a strange unmarked diner/bar room where a patron remarked about Judy taking a swing at him, leading to be tired enough to find Pizza Hut enjoyable.

And navigating the American immigration system to get myself south of the border in a matter of 3 months.

So this weekend we made sure we made sure nomatter what happens, Monica and I will continue to make it through. This weekend we got married.

Us!
This is us!

In April we took a trip to Scotland, and stumbled upon tweed clothes which we immediately loved. Neither of us had goto really nice clothes, and Monica has zero interest in dresses, so we invested in these.

Signing the license
Doing the deed and signing the license. In Pennsylvania there are "self-uniting" marriage licenses which just mean you can solemnize the marriage with just signatures of the partners and witnesses, with no justice of the peace required. It comes from the Quakers, but due to the first amendment, has to be made available to everyone.

Shake on the Deal
We shake on a business deal well done.

Rather than a full crazy wedding us two introverts would hate, we had two little get togethers. One in Canada and one in the US, signing the license in the US.

Next up I'll be applying for an adjustment of status to change from a temporary work permit to a permanent resident green card.

I've had some serious ups and downs over the years, emphasis on the downs, but this place has been a rock to carry me forward, even if I've failed to keep up lately. Thank you to everyone here as I wouldn't have made such a life without you, and hope to continue to do so!
Posted by Yodariquo Sun, 15 Jul 2018 20:50:44 (comments: 17)
next >>

Sun, 15 Jul 2018 21:12:43

Congrats, man!

Sun, 15 Jul 2018 21:53:36

So happy for you!

So proud of you!

Best news I’ve heard in a long, long time!

❤️

Sun, 15 Jul 2018 22:56:42

That's awesome Yoda. Just great news.

It's pretty much the best thing in the world when and if we all find that soulmate whom we just click with on a different level from everyone else. It makes life A LOT easier. Congrats man.

Sun, 15 Jul 2018 23:00:13
So which one of the two is you?

Also, marriage... Me and the missus have been engaged for about 8 years now... We'll get there, some day. After the roof has been renewed, we bought a new car, do the facades of the house and extend it outwards on the back.

I guess what I'm trying to say is good on you for just going for it.

Sun, 15 Jul 2018 23:19:21
That's awesome, Yoda!Congratulations to you both!Grinning

Mon, 16 Jul 2018 01:13:16
Damn look at you and your female companion getting a marital contract! It warms my heart and makes the fine print reader in me glow knowing that you found a loophole to make it easier. And all in tweed! Such panache.

Well congrats to you and the missus. And if you PM me an address I'll send you the official Robio wedding present that I have been giving to all my friends who've gotten married over the last 20 years. It's an item no home should be without.

Mon, 16 Jul 2018 11:18:26

That's wonderful news, Yoda, congratulations to you both! Happy

Those are some pretty badarse fence posts, as well.

Mon, 16 Jul 2018 15:01:02

That’s awesome to hear Yoda! Congrats to you two and here’s to many more years of watching terrible movies together.

Mon, 16 Jul 2018 16:03:50

Love the outfits Yoda. Congratulations. Happy

We've missed your regular prescence here.

What is that yellow wooden building you hung your names on?

Mon, 16 Jul 2018 23:39:59
Thank you for all the warmth and congratulations!

gamingeek said:

What is that yellow wooden building you hung your names on?

That's my parents shed in the backyard.

Foolz said:

That's wonderful news, Yoda, congratulations to you both! Happy

Those are some pretty badarse fence posts, as well.

I have been victim to them more than once in my youth.

robio said:

With our relationship being international in nature, it is predicated almost entirely on working the system.

next >>
Log in or Register for free to comment
Recently Spotted: