Forum > Gaming Discussion > I'm kinda tired of C-list celebrities and Xtreme Sports stars making cash off my hobby
I'm kinda tired of C-list celebrities and Xtreme Sports stars making cash off my hobby
next >>
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46964
News Posts: 59765
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:01:33
0

Does it annoy anyone else?

In the real world, people like Dave Mira, Tony Hawks and Shaun White, they're on the same sporting level of fame as a darts champion. 

Then a gaming company grabs their name, does all the hard work of designing a game and said sports "star" ends up rolling in cash like a pig in filth, for a couple of live appearances and interviews. 

It was Shaun White's recently announced skateboarding game that prompted this post. Had you heard of these characters in any meaningful way before the games were made?

Could game publishers have made up a name and fictional character, hired an actor and got the same character kudos? Lenny White's Snowboarding for instance. Here's Lenny in his snowboarding get up, looking kinda cool doing his thang. 

But the new wave of adverts using C-list celebs who I object to already, them being paid money, my money that I've been using to buy games for years before these people were famous. It irks me. 

Seeing Ant and Dec or any number of lame C-list celebs, or Leona Lewis pretending to play and love FFXIII, it's painful. I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't my money going to them, but every time I buy a product that I've wanted, that they just happen to be advertising..... grrrrr. it happens. 

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6408
News Posts: 412
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:22:10
0
It all goes way back.  Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! being an example.  It's the same reason we see athletes on the Wheaties box or Disney channel kids hawking clothing; it sells.

If it's specifically about the obscurity, there are two things.  One is to get an in with the ones most likely to buy the product (those who like the sport), and the other is that if they approach the game like a sports game, it's almost taboo not to have a cover athlete, whether or not they're actually providing the game any credence.

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: CY
Comments: 7370
News Posts: 30
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:26:10
0

i can't stand ant and dec, but i'm pleased if adam and joe make a little money through wii infomercials etc because they were hilarious doing their bedroom show on channel 4 all those years ago (and the "... go tokyo" series wasn't bad either).

on the whole i very much agree with you though

___

Listen to Wu-Tang and watch Kung-Fu

The VG Press

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46964
News Posts: 59765
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:46:22
0

Yodariquo said:
It all goes way back.  Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! being an example.  It's the same reason we see athletes on the Wheaties box or Disney channel kids hawking clothing; it sells.

If it's specifically about the obscurity, there are two things.  One is to get an in with the ones most likely to buy the product (those who like the sport), and the other is that if they approach the game like a sports game, it's almost taboo not to have a cover athlete, whether or not they're actually providing the game any credence.

 Mike Tyson was huge though, Tiger Woods is huge. 

A BMX biker going up and down ramps.... isn't.

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6408
News Posts: 412
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 05 Mar 2010 14:11:00
0
gamingeek said:

Yodariquo said:
It all goes way back.  Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! being an example.  It's the same reason we see athletes on the Wheaties box or Disney channel kids hawking clothing; it sells.

If it's specifically about the obscurity, there are two things.  One is to get an in with the ones most likely to buy the product (those who like the sport), and the other is that if they approach the game like a sports game, it's almost taboo not to have a cover athlete, whether or not they're actually providing the game any credence.

 Mike Tyson was huge though, Tiger Woods is huge. 

A BMX biker going up and down ramps.... isn't.

Edited: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 14:11:26

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: CO
Comments: 11507
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Fri, 05 Mar 2010 14:11:16
0
Megan Fox. Argh!
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46964
News Posts: 59765
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 05 Mar 2010 14:18:47
0

Part of the reason Jessica Chobot annoys me is that she got famous for licking a PSP. 

I think IGN then interviewed her and hired her. 

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6408
News Posts: 412
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 05 Mar 2010 14:34:27
0
gamingeek said:

Part of the reason Jessica Chobot annoys me is that she got famous for licking a PSP. 

I think IGN then interviewed her and hired her. 

Shouldn't you have the problem with IGN, then?  Not really her fault.

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46964
News Posts: 59765
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 05 Mar 2010 14:37:36
0

Yodariquo said:
gamingeek said:

Part of the reason Jessica Chobot annoys me is that she got famous for licking a PSP. 

I think IGN then interviewed her and hired her. 

Shouldn't you have the problem with IGN, then?  Not really her fault.

 It wasn't Peer Schneiders tongue on that PSP. 

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6408
News Posts: 412
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 05 Mar 2010 14:57:21
gamingeek said:

Yodariquo said:
gamingeek said:

Part of the reason Jessica Chobot annoys me is that she got famous for licking a PSP. 

I think IGN then interviewed her and hired her. 

Shouldn't you have the problem with IGN, then?  Not really her fault.

 It wasn't Peer Schneiders tongue on that PSP. 

Then your problem is with the action, and not the reaction >_>

Edited: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 14:57:28

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46964
News Posts: 59765
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 05 Mar 2010 15:31:13

Yodariquo said:
gamingeek said:

Yodariquo said:
gamingeek said:

Part of the reason Jessica Chobot annoys me is that she got famous for licking a PSP. 

I think IGN then interviewed her and hired her. 

Shouldn't you have the problem with IGN, then?  Not really her fault.

 It wasn't Peer Schneiders tongue on that PSP. 

Then your problem is with the action, and not the reaction >_>

 Why must you tell me what I have a problem with, when I've already told you what I have a problem with?

Should I tell you what you have a problem with? Grammar Nazi!

Nyaa

avatar
Country: CA
Comments: 403
News Posts: 0
Joined: 2008-11-26
 
Fri, 05 Mar 2010 17:12:13

gamingeek said:

It was Shaun White's recently announced skateboarding game that prompted this post. Had you heard of these characters in any meaningful way before the games were made?

Yes.

(off the top of my head, no Wikipedia) Shaun White is an Olympic athlete and gold medalist, and Tony Hawk is the first skateboarder to land a 780 spin on a half pipe, the first skateboarder to complete a whole fullpipe rotation, and was in the Guinness Book of World Records for the highest ollie.

Edited: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 17:14:01
--------------------------------------------

Listen to Iced Earth and play Doom

avatar
Country: CA
Comments: 13053
News Posts: 0
Joined: 2008-07-01
 
Fri, 05 Mar 2010 18:17:59

No it doesn't bother me at all and really why should it. These people have their fans and if those fans enjoy playing games with them in them then who am I to deny them this even if I'm not a fan. Shaun White and Tony Hawk are certainly more well known then a "darts champion". Also who cares how Jessica Chobot got the job she does a fantastic job doing it and after all that's really the only thing I care about.

1176413.png

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 18377
News Posts: 8781
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Fri, 05 Mar 2010 20:11:16

I don't mind people making money for who they are off the back of my hobby for two reasons:

1. I don;t begrudge anyone for making a buck however they can and, more importantly, 

2. There are plenty of closet gamers out there who don't yet realize they are gamers.  If a someone buys Jillian Micheals Fitness and a Wii because they watch The Biggest Loser and want to lose some weight, it's pretty likely that somewhere down the road they'll want a second game to break up the boredom and justify their purchase of a $200 appliance.  So they'll go to a department store and ask the clerk what else is good and buy a copy of Mario Kart with Wii Wheel or Wii Sports Resort and so on...  

Most people will probably stop there, but there will be some who discover our hobby for the first time and end up buying more rewarding and diverse games (thus my middle aged mid-western female friend to whom I sent a copy of NMH2).

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46964
News Posts: 59765
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 05 Mar 2010 20:46:11
I pity someone who buys a Wii just to play Jillian Michaels fitness. They should get a refund and a free gut punch on Iwata. Nyaa
Archangel3371 said:

 Also who cares how Jessica Chobot got the job she does a fantastic job doing it and after all that's really the only thing I care about.

 We all know you're a Chobot fan/serial killer/stalker. Perving over all her videos.

What the hell job does she do? But then there are far worse game journalists out there so...

Coopersville said:

gamingeek said:

It was Shaun White's recently announced skateboarding game that prompted this post. Had you heard of these characters in any meaningful way before the games were made?

Yes.

(off the top of my head, no Wikipedia) Shaun White is an Olympic athlete and gold medalist, and Tony Hawk is the first skateboarder to land a 780 spin on a half pipe, the first skateboarder to complete a whole fullpipe rotation, and was in the Guinness Book of World Records for the highest ollie.

 So do you know the name of the current Olympic Pentathlon champion or the Guiness book world record holder for climbing the highest building off hand? The point being that there are a shitload of gold medal winning athletes and a shit load of world record holders, especially in the Guiness Book of World Records. 

avatar
Country: CA
Comments: 13053
News Posts: 0
Joined: 2008-07-01
 
Fri, 05 Mar 2010 21:01:49

Well I'm most definitely a Jessica Chobot fan but the serial killer/stalker bit kind of creeps me out although she can stalk me anytime. Nyaa As to what job she does I'm not sure of everything that she does but she does do a really good job of doing hints and tips video segments that I like to watch. She's very personable and does a great job doing it. So the question I ask is what's so wrong about that?

1176413.png

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 15952
News Posts: 1043
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sat, 06 Mar 2010 03:07:49
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6408
News Posts: 412
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sat, 06 Mar 2010 03:35:11
gamingeek said:

 Why must you tell me what I have a problem with, when I've already told you what I have a problem with?

Should I tell you what you have a problem with? Grammar Nazi!

Nyaa

 You have a problem with ending sentences with prepositions.

Edited: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 03:35:22

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 15088
News Posts: 2266
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sat, 06 Mar 2010 06:59:06

gamingeek said:

Does it annoy anyone else?

Nope.

The VG Press

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 2590
News Posts: 64
Joined: 2009-03-24
 
Sat, 06 Mar 2010 07:16:21
Well, those guys are popular in the U.S., but I do see what you're saying.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now Playing: Golden Sun Dark Dawn, God of War Ghost of Sparta, and DKC Returns

next >>
Log in or Register for free to comment
Recently Spotted:
Login @ The VG Press
Username:
Password:
Remember me?