Forum > Gaming Discussion > Blogs. What is wrong with them?
Blogs. What is wrong with them?
next >>
avatar
Country: NL
Comments: 9410
News Posts: 9625
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 04 Jan 2010 00:50:36
0

Guys we had a discussion on Skype and we had reached consensus on various things like moderation, some basic rules about organization, etc. I will let someone else give you the more detailed explanation of what happened.

But we also started talking about the blogs. Vader mentioned why he rather post blogs in the forums.

It is easier to have a discussion on the forums than on the tiny blog comment boxes.

Obviously there are some problems with the blogs. We do not use them as much as we should be. Of course we can keep posting blogs in the forums, but that will not deal with the core problem we have.

So I ask you. What problems do you have with the blogs?

Just blurt it out, I will keep asking questions about it to get a clear understanding of the problems. Because if we know what the problem is, we can fix it. So we will probably start with some big vague problems, I will try to make them more detailed, and from there on, I will form requirements. 

This is important, with the requirement we know what a blog should have and be able to do. From there on, we can think of solutions. What type of solution can fulfil the requirements the best? The solution that fulfils the requirement the best will be our new blog structure.

So we will do it like design engineers

  1. Get you to state all the problems of our current blog system
  2. Make the problems concrete and form requirements
  3. Brainstorm solution that can fulfil the requirements
  4. Pick a solution

Important is to not think about solutions, we will get to that, think about the problem first. Basically we are structurally designing a new blog system.

In the meeting we already have talked about the solution and formed a certain consensus. But we do not know if that solutions fulfils all your problems. Or perhaps we will generate an even better and more elegant solution. In step 3 I will reveal our solution. And it will be judged like all the other solution by looking at the requirement. I am purposely not telling what it is because I don't want to influence you in any way. From my experience the less you know, the more original solutions we will form. 

And we are not to criticize someone ideas. That comes in step 4. Personally I like the Russian way of designing, which is best told in the following sentence. "Make it Simple, Make it Strong, Make it Work"

So let's do it, what are the problems you guys have with out current blog system? Why do you rather post in the forums?

 P.S. It's very late here, if I do not make any sense it is because sleep deprivation. So see you in the morning. 


The VG Press
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 14646
News Posts: 2156
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 04 Jan 2010 01:06:28
0
I'd like to be able to use the smilies in blogs. Other than that, it works just fine for my needs.

The VG Press

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 15743
News Posts: 1040
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 04 Jan 2010 02:26:14
0
The main problem with it is the comment box, and the suicidal apostraphes. Nyaa

In regards to the former quoting would be a major improvement, and so would a large area to post comments in, but that's probably going to be requiring something closer to a forum.


    Children, our lives have been gongs striking; clamour and boasting; cries of despair; blows on the nape of the neck in gardens.

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 18065
News Posts: 8760
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Mon, 04 Jan 2010 04:15:50
0

For the record, the only issue for my part is that if you bypass the homepage of the site (as I am sure many of us do) you miss the blogs. I'm for better promotion of them, however that may be.

For the actual tools, it'd be nice if I could quote another poster.  Other than that, I'm happy.

Oh and can we ban Leo for his last blog?

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 18292
News Posts: 2097
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 04 Jan 2010 04:20:59
0

aspro said:

Oh and can we ban Leo for his last blog?

Sorry. I now have to catch up with Iga's posting of man-ass on this site! Banning me now would mean he won and we can't have THAT, can we?

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 18292
News Posts: 2097
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 04 Jan 2010 04:21:38
0
Besides ass-pro, that was one PRO-ASS!
avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 18065
News Posts: 8760
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Mon, 04 Jan 2010 04:28:30
0

phantom_leo said:

aspro said:

Oh and can we ban Leo for his last blog?

Sorry. I now have to catch up with Iga's posting of man-ass on this site! Banning me now would mean he won and we can't have THAT, can we?

That's true, you have a lot to catch up to (you're a little behind).

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 18292
News Posts: 2097
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 04 Jan 2010 04:30:41
0

aspro said:

...you're a little behind.

It's true!

*tee-hee!*



Edited: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 04:31:10
avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 15743
News Posts: 1040
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 04 Jan 2010 05:19:52
0

aspro said:

For the record, the only issue for my part is that if you bypass the homepage of the site (as I am sure many of us do) you miss the blogs. I'm for better promotion of them, however that may be.

For the actual tools, it'd be nice if I could quote another poster.  Other than that, I'm happy.

Oh and can we ban Leo for his last blog?

A blog and review tab could be useful.

    Children, our lives have been gongs striking; clamour and boasting; cries of despair; blows on the nape of the neck in gardens.

avatar
Country: NL
Comments: 9410
News Posts: 9625
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 04 Jan 2010 07:47:19

Okay, so much generating alternative solutions. LOL 

Does not matter that much.

Okay I see some of you have problems with the small comments. What about the the placing of the comments? Do you like that you can already see them without scrolling down? Or does that not matter to you guys. Or would you rather have blog post on top, comments below like in a forum?

Foolz said:

aspro said:

For the record, the only issue for my part is that if you bypass the homepage of the site (as I am sure many of us do) you miss the blogs. I'm for better promotion of them, however that may be.

For the actual tools, it'd be nice if I could quote another poster.  Other than that, I'm happy.

Oh and can we ban Leo for his last blog?

A blog and review tab could be useful.

You are already thinking in solutions Nyaa 

The VG Press
avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 15743
News Posts: 1040
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 04 Jan 2010 08:03:49

Iga_Bobovic said:

Okay, so much generating alternative solutions. LOL

Does not matter that much.

Okay I see some of you have problems with the small comments. What about the the placing of the comments? Do you like that you can already see them without scrolling down? Or does that not matter to you guys. Or would you rather have blog post on top, comments below like in a forum?

Foolz said:

aspro said:

For the record, the only issue for my part is that if you bypass the homepage of the site (as I am sure many of us do) you miss the blogs. I'm for better promotion of them, however that may be.

For the actual tools, it'd be nice if I could quote another poster.  Other than that, I'm happy.

Oh and can we ban Leo for his last blog?

A blog and review tab could be useful.

You are already thinking in solutions Nyaa

I'm in Australia so I'm ahead of you remember. Nyaa

I was thinking about the scrolling down. I think the advantages of having them at the bottom might outweigh the disadvantages because you're going to get to them when you finish reading the blog anyway lol.

    Children, our lives have been gongs striking; clamour and boasting; cries of despair; blows on the nape of the neck in gardens.

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46253
News Posts: 59731
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 04 Jan 2010 15:22:32
I have no problems with blogs, apart from smilies. Would be nice to use them.

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 15927
News Posts: 715
Joined: 2009-02-25
 
Mon, 04 Jan 2010 22:04:02

My biggest issue with the blogs is that they are tough to find.  There needs to be some kind of easy access overview page where you can see the latest blogs.  Maybe a link in the upper navigation bar would be enough.  

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 36
News Posts: 0
Joined: 2009-12-15
 
Mon, 04 Jan 2010 22:06:20
Type face is way too small.  I have to shoot heroin into my eyeballs these days to get any kind of buzz and it's starting to affect my vision.  
avatar
Country: MX
Comments: 11479
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Mon, 04 Jan 2010 22:12:35
Perhaps adding a Blogs tab (like Foolz accurately stated, showing aussies do think ahead of the rest of us Nyaa), and having a dedicated blog page, and making the comment section a bit bigger would help.
avatar
Country: NL
Comments: 9410
News Posts: 9625
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 04 Jan 2010 22:16:58

Robio, did you know that you can see the latest blogs on the front page? You can also press see all to see them all. Is this what you had in mind?

By the way do you find it difficult to see if someone has reacted to your blog? You kinda need to remember your number of comments and if the number is higher you know you have a new comment. 

And Steel we will get to the solution phase real soon (spoiler we actually had the exact same idea in the Skype meeting)

The VG Press
avatar
Country: MX
Comments: 11479
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Mon, 04 Jan 2010 22:19:28
I can't believe you bitches chose to meet on Skype the exact day that I had to hit the road. Nyaa
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 15927
News Posts: 715
Joined: 2009-02-25
 
Mon, 04 Jan 2010 22:24:30

Iga_Bobovic said:

Robio, did you know that you can see the latest blogs on the front page? You can also press see all to see them all. Is this what you had in mind?

Yes I did know that.  I'm not really a fan of that front page though.  Too crowed.  Plus it only gives you the blog title, and when you're dealing with someone like Leo the title of the blog doesn't necessarily help.

avatar
Country: NL
Comments: 9410
News Posts: 9625
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 04 Jan 2010 22:28:15

robio said:

Iga_Bobovic said:

Robio, did you know that you can see the latest blogs on the front page? You can also press see all to see them all. Is this what you had in mind?

Yes I did know that.  I'm not really a fan of that front page though.  Too crowed.  Plus it only gives you the blog title, and when you're dealing with someone like Leo the title of the blog doesn't necessarily help.

Good point, we need more info than just the title. Perhaps a few sentences.  

The VG Press
avatar
Country: NL
Comments: 9410
News Posts: 9625
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 07 Jan 2010 18:16:45

Okay time for the second step.

The problems most of we have is

  • no smilies, no quoting, small  comment box and text
  • Blogs often skipped by people because of poor visibility
  • Difficult to see if a new comment has been made
  • not enough info about content of the blog

The Requirements would be

  • Add smilies and quoting options, increase size of comment box and comment text
  • Give additional information besides title
  • Make it so that it is very clear when a new comment is made in a blog
  • Make it so that the blogs are better promoted and more people read them


The VG Press
next >>
Log in or Register for free to comment
Recently Spotted:
*crickets*
Login @ The VG Press
Username:
Password:
Remember me?