Forum > Gaming Discussion > The VG Press Redesign
The VG Press Redesign
<< prevnext >>
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6467
News Posts: 413
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 20 Feb 2009 02:24:36
Punk Rebel Ecks said:
Enough with this stupid newspaper design. Seriously it's a bad omen since newspapers are a dying media.

How about something more futuristic and stylish like this website?

That is just awful

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6467
News Posts: 413
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 06:11:49
Prototype of a new design:

New design prototype

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 16575
News Posts: 2680
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 06:37:41

Yodariquo said:
Prototype of a new design:

 I like it! That looks great. Happy

The VG Press

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 16205
News Posts: 1043
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 09:26:43
Love it, but it looks very GS. I find GS to be very readale, though, so take that as a compliment! Nyaa

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47964
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 12:13:55
Like gamespot.com

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 16575
News Posts: 2680
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 16:08:05

gamingeek said:
Like gamespot.com

 Color scheme is somewhat similar, but Yoda's design is a TON better.  

Edited: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 16:11:14

The VG Press

avatar
Country: EU
Comments: 9423
News Posts: 9625
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 16:20:19

Ravenprose said:

Yodariquo said:
Prototype of a new design:

 I like it! That looks great. Happy

 This settles it, if Raven likes it, then it is obviously not the right choice!

The VG Press
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 16575
News Posts: 2680
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 16:33:15

Iga_Bobovic said:

 This settles it, if Raven likes it, then it is obviously not the right choice!

 

The VG Press

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47964
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 17:17:12

Hard to tell from just thread titles what it will look like to read messages and blogs etc.

avatar
Country: EU
Comments: 9423
News Posts: 9625
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 17:41:54

I think there should be an option to do both dark and light colours, so each one of us can be happy. Perhaps we can do it like the Conduit and make it totally customizable. Each one of us can make it to suit there own needs.

P.S. what is going to happen with the frontpage?

The VG Press
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6467
News Posts: 413
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 21:48:25
Iga_Bobovic said:

I think there should be an option to do both dark and light colours, so each one of us can be happy. Perhaps we can do it like the Conduit and make it totally customizable. Each one of us can make it to suit there own needs.

P.S. what is going to happen with the frontpage?

Skins for the forum yes, everything else, probably not.

The front page will have multiple layouts to choose from each week so it's not the same all the time.  Anything more specific is still in progress.

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 1754
News Posts: 65
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 21:59:43

Yodariquo said:
Punk Rebel Ecks said:
Enough with this stupid newspaper design. Seriously it's a bad omen since newspapers are a dying media.

How about something more futuristic and stylish like this website?

That is just awful

Well I'm more so referring to the complexity of the site.

Yodariquo said:
Prototype of a new design:

New design prototype

Nice. I'm still not too found of the sites name "VG Press". And like some have said this looks a little too much like Gamespot.

Edited: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 22:00:38

One of the site's forefathers.

Play fighting games!

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6467
News Posts: 413
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 22:40:49
Here's a look at the colour-scheme in relation to the actual forum posts.

Forum

On serif versus san-serif, the tricky thing is that the more you have to read, the better serif is, provided the font-size is large enough.  Whereas san-serif is effective in shorter reads and smaller fonts.  The reason for selecting serif for this site on the initial design, aside from maintaining the paper aesthetic, was to avoid tldr; syndrome.

And I don't see when GameSpot got a monopoly on using the colour grey.  Because aside from that, I don't at all see where you're finding a similarity.

The goal of the redesign from my perspective is simplicity and elegance -- remove as much noise from the page as possible, which is very difficult for a forum and the complete opposite of GameSpot's monstrosity.

So, to issue a correction,

New Design = this + this + this
Edited: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 23:09:19

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 16575
News Posts: 2680
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 00:36:34

Yodariquo said:
Here's a look at the colour-scheme in relation to the actual forum posts.

 That really looks great, Yoda!  Happy

 

Yodariquo said:

And I don't see when GameSpot got a monopoly on using the colour grey.  Because aside from that, I don't at all see where you're finding a similarity.

Me neither. Gamespot's design is very cluttered, and it doesn't even fill my screen properly. The only thing I like about Gamespot's design is the dark grey background color.

The VG Press

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 18964
News Posts: 8990
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:49:22
Punk Rebel Ecks said:

Yodariquo said:
Punk Rebel Ecks said:
Enough with this stupid newspaper design. Seriously it's a bad omen since newspapers are a dying media.

How about something more futuristic and stylish like this website?

That is just awful

Well I'm more so referring to the complexity of the site.

Yodariquo said:
Prototype of a new design:

New design prototype

Nice. I'm still not too found of the sites name "VG Press". And like some have said this looks a little too much like Gamespot.

I like it.

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47964
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 20:02:57

Not bad Yoda. But please, the seriffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffs!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! *mind sex-plodes*

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6467
News Posts: 413
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 02:32:29

gamingeek said:

Not bad Yoda. But please, the seriffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffs!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! *mind sex-plodes*

 

Yodariquo said:

On serif versus san-serif, the tricky thing is that the more you have to read, the better serif is, provided the font-size is large enough.  Whereas san-serif is effective in shorter reads and smaller fonts.  The reason for selecting serif for this site on the initial design, aside from maintaining the paper aesthetic, was to avoid tldr; syndrome.


To avoid a response of merely "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" was why I wrote that.  It's not end-all point, but while sans-serif fonts are typically more flexible from a design perspective, there's a resultant challenge in maintaining readability in blocks of text, which is rather important given we deal primarily with blocks of text.
Edited: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 03:38:47

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47964
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:17:26

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I find sans serif easier full stop.

avatar
Country: EU
Comments: 9423
News Posts: 9625
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:26:30
Yoda, do we have a bigger plan? Like how we used to want to be like a newspaper. Is there a plan to where we are going, or is this just to improve the readability of the forums?
The VG Press
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6467
News Posts: 413
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 25 Feb 2009 02:58:36
Iga_Bobovic said:
Yoda, do we have a bigger plan? Like how we used to want to be like a newspaper. Is there a plan to where we are going, or is this just to improve the readability of the forums?

Yes, the theme is "We are awesome"

Oh, and I thought of the perfect slogan...

The VG Press: It is the spice of the life

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
<< prevnext >>
Log in or Register for free to comment
Recently Spotted:
*crickets*
Login @ The VG Press
Username:
Password:
Remember me?