Forum > Non-Gaming Discussion > The Ghibli Thread
The Ghibli Thread
<< prevnext >>
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47890
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 20 Jul 2009 16:40:26

Should I use the cash to buy the Studio Ghibli 20th anniversay concert dvd? £32?

Or will there be a region 3 version? Hmmmmmmmmm. A concert isn't like a film. It may be too specialised to be localised.

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 16197
News Posts: 1043
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 21 Jul 2009 05:07:12

Nope, you should use the cash to buy a microphone.

If not you should use the cash to buy The General. Not only is it one of the greatest films of all time, depending on which version you get, it also has by the same guy. So it's win-win even if you don't like the film!

avatar
Country: CY
Comments: 7370
News Posts: 30
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:12:43
I am sure everybody has seen this trailer but it seems appropriate to bring it up and perhaps talk about it in this thread.  to me studio ghibli + level 5 is truly a marriage made in heaven.  i will buy the japanese special edition for this with the beautiful box when it comes out (even if i won't be able to play the game in japanese).

Ninokuni - The Another World

___

Listen to Wu-Tang and watch Kung-Fu

The VG Press

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47890
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 21 Jul 2009 19:44:16
Ninokuni is kickass. BTW I saw that they are putting out all Takahatas pre-ghibli films like little norse prince on dvd. There is this film called Go Panda Go which is now on my rental list.

avatar
Country: CY
Comments: 7370
News Posts: 30
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Wed, 22 Jul 2009 00:58:23

gamingeek said:
Ninokuni is kickass. BTW I saw that they are putting out all Takahatas pre-ghibli films like little norse prince on dvd. There is this film called Go Panda Go which is now on my rental list.

go panda go was the picture i had in my sig a long time ago

___

Listen to Wu-Tang and watch Kung-Fu

The VG Press

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47890
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:37:31
Good?

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47890
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sat, 01 Aug 2009 15:04:23

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/hayao-miyazaki-talks-ponyo#extended

TECHNICAL ADVANCES
Question: After using computer technology on a couple of films, Ponyo marks your return to completely hand-drawn animation. Was there something specific to Ponyo that inspired that? Would you have done that with whatever your next film would have been?

Miyazaki: Actually, Studio Ghibli had dissolved the computer graphics section before we started production on Ponyo, so we had decided at that point to stick with hand-drawn animation. Just as John Lasseter and I are different, I think I can leave the computer animation to him.

WTF? We might never see Ghibli films that look as good as Howl and Spirited away again.

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47890
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sat, 01 Aug 2009 16:16:11

Okay, so I sold Conduit for £22 not bad considering it cost me £18 Happy

Ordered the Joe Hisaishi concert for £32 plus the Rhythm Heaven vocal album.

This concert is badass, for the 20th anniversary of Studio Ghibli they assembled this massive celebratory concert.

Video-here

And I spotted some excellent Spirited Away pictures here, check them out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flov/747925266/

I also thought you guys might like this wallpaper:


avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47890
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 03 Aug 2009 19:57:44

6a0109d0f3108b000f01101653156a860c-500pi

Ponyo_1.jpg

ponyo-6.jpg

Ponyo-masthead4.jpg

Ponyo-masthead3.jpg

avatar
Country: CY
Comments: 7370
News Posts: 30
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Mon, 03 Aug 2009 22:41:30

Iga_Bobovic said:

bugsonglass said:

Iga_Bobovic said:

bugsonglass said:
I will very soon order Tales from Earthsea

Don't seriously!

i have my expectations low from what you and gigi said about it but i have to get it for completeness at least, if nothing else

Fuck completeness, check it out on the net and buy Tokyo Godfathers, Millenium Actress or Perfect Blue instead.

i took your advice ... now i need more recommendations Grinning  it doesn't just have to be feature films, series are ok too so long as they're no more than 15-30 episodes.  i couldn't handle something like bleach or naruto

___

Listen to Wu-Tang and watch Kung-Fu

The VG Press

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 16197
News Posts: 1043
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 04 Aug 2009 03:41:45
Excel Saga, Excel Saga! Or Puni Puni Poemi which is two episodes long!

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6467
News Posts: 413
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 04 Aug 2009 03:52:26
The complete series of Sazae-san!

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47890
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 04 Aug 2009 10:04:58

If anyone is interested there are art books by Viz media on specific Ghibli films. I have the Spirited Away one, I saw it on amazon recentely for as little as £3 from sellers which is like $6 so snap that up. Its hardback, a couple of hundred pages long and full colour.

There are other ones from Totoro and Howl etc too. Just search for books "Studio Ghibli"

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47890
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:22:47

I got the concert DVD, watched half last night. Wow, if you are a fan of the music, just wow.

The choir and orchestra is so big it doesn't even fit on the freaking stage, its sprawled out on the back half of the stadium.

It's pretty amazing to watch. Its pretty long too, they cover all hisaishi Ghibli films but unfortunately no Isao Takahata films.

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 2701
News Posts: 277
Joined: 2008-07-12
 
Mon, 31 Aug 2009 01:19:38
So it turns out that not only is Ponyo being shown here, but that people have a choice in watching the Japanese version or English dub. And then I learnt that the dub has one of the fucking Jonas Brothers in it...

So I ask, for those who have seen the English dub? Is it still worth watching, or should I try find a cinema showing the Jap version?

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6467
News Posts: 413
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 31 Aug 2009 05:13:37
I watched Whisper of the Heart.  It introduced the characters that later became the focus of The Cat Returns, though it isn't fantastical.  It's a sweet story, though perhaps falling short of the ridiculously high bar set by other Ghibli titles.
Edited: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 05:14:45

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 16197
News Posts: 1043
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 31 Aug 2009 12:26:07

darthhomer said:
So it turns out that not only is Ponyo being shown here, but that people have a choice in watching the Japanese version or English dub. And then I learnt that the dub has one of the fucking Jonas Brothers in it...

So I ask, for those who have seen the English dub? Is it still worth watching, or should I try find a cinema showing the Jap version?

 Even if a Jonas Brother wasn't in it of course you should see the Japanese version.

avatar
Country: CO
Comments: 11520
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Mon, 31 Aug 2009 14:51:27

Foolz said:

darthhomer said:
So it turns out that not only is Ponyo being shown here, but that people have a choice in watching the Japanese version or English dub. And then I learnt that the dub has one of the fucking Jonas Brothers in it...

So I ask, for those who have seen the English dub? Is it still worth watching, or should I try find a cinema showing the Jap version?

Even if a Jonas Brother wasn't in it of course you should see the Japanese version.

OMG The Jonas Brothers! Who voices Ponyo? Hannah Montana?

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 267
News Posts: 13
Joined: 2009-04-25
 
Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:09:56
I finally got to see Ponyo this weekend and loved it... and actually, the english dub was just fine.  I think Disney usually does a great job getting voice actors for the Ghible dubs.  The only goofy part is the song that plays with the credits.  It is the most obnoxious and laughable song I've ever heard at the end of a movie.

Outside of that, Ponyo was just awesome.  I had a big stupid grin on my face through the whole movie.  Go see it.  Go see it as soon as you can.  You'd be dumb to skip seeing it on the big screen.  Very dumb.
Now Playing: King's Bounty, Demon's Souls, BF1943
Now Listening: Karl Blau- Zebra, Atlas Sound- Logos
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47890
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:45:34

darthhomer said:
So it turns out that not only is Ponyo being shown here, but that people have a choice in watching the Japanese version or English dub. And then I learnt that the dub has one of the fucking Jonas Brothers in it...

So I ask, for those who have seen the English dub? Is it still worth watching, or should I try find a cinema showing the Jap version?

I've only seen the Japanese version but from what I hear there are some innaccuracies with the translation. I'm curious to see what Ponyo's english voice will be like.

Who the hell are the Jonas Brothers?

Yodariquo said:
I watched Whisper of the Heart.  It introduced the characters that later became the focus of The Cat Returns, though it isn't fantastical.  It's a sweet story, though perhaps falling short of the ridiculously high bar set by other Ghibli titles.

I find it quite a strange juxtaposition of the fantastical and mundane. I really dont want to watch a film about a japanese schoolgirl in angst in boring reality. I kept wishing it would focus on the baron exclusively. It's pretty good but some of the music the characters play is horrid.

rragnaar said:
I finally got to see Ponyo this weekend and loved it... and actually, the english dub was just fine.  I think Disney usually does a great job getting voice actors for the Ghible dubs.  The only goofy part is the song that plays with the credits.  It is the most obnoxious and laughable song I've ever heard at the end of a movie.

Outside of that, Ponyo was just awesome.  I had a big stupid grin on my face through the whole movie.  Go see it.  Go see it as soon as you can.  You'd be dumb to skip seeing it on the big screen.  Very dumb.

You dont like the Ponyo theme tune? I hear it Japan, when I first heard it I hated it, like the Totoro theme, but it does grow on you. Check out the ponyo suite on dailymotion.

It is a film which has you grinning from start to finish. I love how Ponyo just wont be stopped! Grinning It makes me smile.

<< prevnext >>
Log in or Register for free to comment
Recently Spotted:
travo (10m)
Login @ The VG Press
Username:
Password:
Remember me?