Forum > Gaming Discussion > Spoiler Free Heavy Rain Thread
Spoiler Free Heavy Rain Thread
<< prevnext >>
avatar
Country: CO
Comments: 11507
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:49:14

gamingeek said:

SteelAttack said:

Just finished it. Fuuuuuuu. I did not see that coming.

Nice ride, flaws and all. If you have the system and enjoy adventure games, this one is well worth a try.

You give us an initial impression, and then your next post you've finished it.

You guys. Sad

It's impossible to give impressions on this game without spoiling anything! All strenghts and weaknesses of this game are within its story. This game lives and dies by its plot. There's no gameplay involved here whatsoever besides limited interaction and QTEs.

avatar
Country: CO
Comments: 11507
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:51:13

Besides, it's a really short game, I think the playthrough took me about 10 hours.

I can tell you one thing, though. The movie references are abundant in here, and not only the blatant ones like Seven, but also unexpected ones like Saw or The Shining.

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46964
News Posts: 59765
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:54:09

SteelAttack said:

gamingeek said:

SteelAttack said:

Just finished it. Fuuuuuuu. I did not see that coming.

Nice ride, flaws and all. If you have the system and enjoy adventure games, this one is well worth a try.

You give us an initial impression, and then your next post you've finished it.

You guys. Sad

It's impossible to give impressions on this game without spoiling anything! All strenghts and weaknesses of this game are within its story. This game lives and dies by its plot. There's no gameplay involved here whatsoever besides limited interaction and QTEs.

WTF? No gameplay? So it is like an interactive movie? Surely there has to be a little exploration or some puzzles? You investigate the environment or something yeah?

avatar
Country: CO
Comments: 11507
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:04:12

Yes, there is exploration. It has the same gameplay that point and click adventure games, in which you explore a room looking for something unusual, to examine or use, environments are fantastically detailed, but sadly, there aren't many things available to interact with. There are no puzzles, though, at least not evident ones.

You have no inventory, if you find something usable, you need to use it almost immediately. You also jump from character to character (there are 4 playable ones) in small chapters, which helps giving the game a faster pace and flow.

VA is a mixed bag, some characters are nicely done, others are cringe-inducing. Some of the scenes are remarkably constructed. I can honestly said some of the things I had to do in this game had me actually questioning myself.

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46964
News Posts: 59765
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:15:18

SteelAttack said:

Yes, there is exploration. It has the same gameplay that point and click adventure games, in which you explore a room looking for something unusual, to examine or use, environments are fantastically detailed, but sadly, there aren't many things available to interact with. There are no puzzles, though, at least not evident ones.

You have no inventory, if you find something usable, you need to use it almost immediately. You also jump from character to character (there are 4 playable ones) in small chapters, which helps giving the game a faster pace and flow.

VA is a mixed bag, some characters are nicely done, others are cringe-inducing. Some of the scenes are remarkably constructed. I can honestly said some of the things I had to do in this game had me actually questioning myself.

Sounds sort of like Shattered Memories, no inventory, point and click gameplay. It has puzzles and action though, but the basic exploration sounds good.

Are you going to replay this game to see what changes you can get?

avatar
Country: CO
Comments: 11507
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:28:26

I'd love to. Even though I kept all my characters alive (that's another change, you can't fail at this game, if you lose your characters, the story goes on without the dead ones, and eventually resolves in a different way), I'd say I'm still missing about 30% of the trophies.

Without trying to spoil things, in one scene, I had to kill someone with one of my characters, but I couldn't; if I had killed it, the game would have ended in a different note.

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46964
News Posts: 59765
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:31:24

SteelAttack said:

I'd love to. Even though I kept all my characters alive (that's another change, you can't fail at this game, if you lose your characters, the story goes on without the dead ones, and eventually resolves in a different way), I'd say I'm still missing about 30% of the trophies.

Without trying to spoil things, in one scene, I had to kill someone with one of my characters, but I couldn't; if I had killed it, the game would have ended in a different note.

Can you kill all the characters? How many endings are there? Is it as rigid as 4 endings for 4 charactes or are there like many levels of change?

I mean how many pivatol scenes are there which are game changing?

avatar
Country: CO
Comments: 11507
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:45:53
gamingeek said:

SteelAttack said:

I'd love to. Even though I kept all my characters alive (that's another change, you can't fail at this game, if you lose your characters, the story goes on without the dead ones, and eventually resolves in a different way), I'd say I'm still missing about 30% of the trophies.

Without trying to spoil things, in one scene, I had to kill someone with one of my characters, but I couldn't; if I had killed it, the game would have ended in a different note.

Can you kill all the characters? How many endings are there? Is it as rigid as 4 endings for 4 charactes or are there like many levels of change?

I mean how many pivatol scenes are there which are game changing?

I guess you can. There is at least one chapter for every character where death is a very possible option. But it's not just deaths which can alter the outcome of the game, a number of chapters have pivotal scenes that can change things whether by themselves or in unison.

There are a number of definite endings, three or four at least, but there are more because the ending is handled as a combination of epilogues, depending on who lived, who died, if the kid was saved or died, and if the killer goes unpunished or not.

Something at the end makes me think we'll probably (and hopefully) get another game with at least a couple of characters, provided the "good" ending gets to be considered canon.

I just looked it out and there are like 18 possible epilogues.

avatar
Country: NL
Comments: 9419
News Posts: 9625
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 23:25:45

Is Vader dead yet?

Yes, the Dutch are making a flying car. It will go in production soon (2011)

For more info, go here


The VG Press
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31370
News Posts: 1717
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Sat, 13 Mar 2010 01:26:02

Iga_Bobovic said:

Is Vader dead yet?

Yes, the Dutch are making a flying car. It will go in production soon (2011)

For more info, go here


I think you are in the wrong thread. Sweet, still a helicopter, no, I need hover technology.

660896.png
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46964
News Posts: 59765
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sat, 13 Mar 2010 14:07:19
So is it like those old books that had you reading, they ask you a question like: "Will you save the maiden? If so go to page 63."

avatar
Country: CO
Comments: 11507
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:07:46

gamingeek said:
So is it like those old books that had you reading, they ask you a question like: "Will you save the maiden? If so go to page 63."

OMG I loved those books! I used to have  fuckload of them. I had several that required a dice and pen and paper to wage battles, manage your inventory and progress through the book.

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46964
News Posts: 59765
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:38:47
Some games that have me breaking out a notepad and pen make me smile. 

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 15952
News Posts: 1043
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sun, 14 Mar 2010 03:28:58

gamingeek said:
Some games that have me breaking out a notepad and pen make me smile.

Get Hotel Dusk. Now.

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46964
News Posts: 59765
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sun, 14 Mar 2010 21:49:38

Foolz said:

gamingeek said:
Some games that have me breaking out a notepad and pen make me smile.

Get Hotel Dusk. Now.

 I already got it, awaiting the sequel. 

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 15952
News Posts: 1043
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 15 Mar 2010 03:41:35

gamingeek said:

Foolz said:

gamingeek said:
Some games that have me breaking out a notepad and pen make me smile.

Get Hotel Dusk. Now.

I already got it, awaiting the sequel.

But Cing bankrupt! Sad

So how come you hated Another Code? Aren't they very similar?

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46964
News Posts: 59765
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 15 Mar 2010 11:01:52

Foolz said:

gamingeek said:

Foolz said:

gamingeek said:
Some games that have me breaking out a notepad and pen make me smile.

Get Hotel Dusk. Now.

I already got it, awaiting the sequel.

But Cing bankrupt! Sad

So how come you hated Another Code? Aren't they very similar?

 Nope. 

And I didn't hate it, its just excrutiatingly slow to play. And a little finnicky too. The story is nowhere near as good either. 

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 15952
News Posts: 1043
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:16:55
Wow, must be a terrible story then. Nyaa

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46964
News Posts: 59765
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:22:27

Foolz said:
Wow, must be a terrible story then. Nyaa

 It pales in comparison to your Dvader Wesker cum on glasses story. 

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 15952
News Posts: 1043
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:37:13

gamingeek said:

Foolz said:
Wow, must be a terrible story then. Nyaa

It pales in comparison to your Dvader Wesker cum on glasses story.

That's why my standards so high.

I wonder where that got to....

<< prevnext >>
Log in or Register for free to comment
Recently Spotted:
*crickets*
Login @ The VG Press
Username:
Password:
Remember me?