Forum > Gaming Discussion > Resident Evil 5 (360/PS3) GG Revival - 360 freezes - nerd rage commences
Resident Evil 5 (360/PS3) GG Revival - 360 freezes - nerd rage commences
<< prevnext >>
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 1751
News Posts: 65
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 22:08:24
7 Hours? Dear God. Seriously what's with this gen for consoles? What happened to 12 hours minimum? I still think around 20 hours is the sweet spot for most games. I mean fuck why did this game take 4 years to develop again?
Edited: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 22:09:58

One of the site's forefathers.

Play fighting games!

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 16060
News Posts: 1043
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 01:48:55
Wow, 7 hours? 

[vader]ah well I've got so much to play at least I'll get through it quicker[/vader]

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31512
News Posts: 1717
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 03:03:26

So one or two mags say its 7, others say its 17, it will probably be in the middle. RE4 took me 16 hours on my first go, now I can finish it in 5 or 6 easy.  It depends how you play.


660896.png
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47396
News Posts: 59768
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:24:33

Archangel3371 said:



Well I did try to look up her skirt a couple of times. Nyaa

I don't really know what I might have done so differently. Perhaps checking out the sites and managing my items I guess.

I tried to use the sniper scope to get a booby close up. No joy. Damn AI made her duck all the time.


Punk Rebel Ecks said:
7 Hours? Dear God. Seriously what's with this gen for consoles? What happened to 12 hours minimum? I still think around 20 hours is the sweet spot for most games. I mean fuck why did this game take 4 years to develop again?

teh graphics. The most powerful hardware with the bestest graphics.

“When we set out to make ‘Resident Evil 5,’ the guys knew that if you want to make the most powerful, most pretty game, the Wii isn’t the best choice. From a business perspective it may have been, but after making this game we are happy with the choice we made.” - Capcom’s Jun Takeuchi

Dvader said:

So one or two mags say its 7, others say its 17, it will probably be in the middle. RE4 took me 16 hours on my first go, now I can finish it in 5 or 6 easy.  It depends how you play.


I'm worried because they said that they didn't rush it and were just playing normally. As the days go by I'm not even sure this is day 1 anymore for me, mainly because I have so much other stuff to play.  

Edited: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:05:57

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47396
News Posts: 59768
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:52:33

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/02/23/four-million-demo-downloads-later-resident-evil-5-producer-talks/#more-20145

In a wide-ranging interview, Capcom’s Jun Takeuchi discussed player reaction to “Resident Evil 5“’s controls, the lack of a Wii version of the game, his expectations on the race issue and much more.

***

Last week in Las Vegas, I had what was probably my last chance to interview “Resident Evil 5” producer Jun Takeuchi prior to the game’s March 13 release on the Xbox 360 and PS3. It was a good opportunity to see how a top game developer reacts to the feedback he’s received from the demo of his game and hit some other issues one last time.

Right away I found out that the demo has performed superb, having been downloaded more than four million times on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 worldwide in just a matter of weeks.

Here’s what we ran through during our conversation…

Split-screen: One reaction we got to the “Resident Evil 5″ demo on MTV Multiplayer was a complaint about the demo’s split-screen options.  On a single TV, the co-op is rendered as two stacked  widescreen views of the game stacked unevenly, one pushed to the left and one aligned to the right. That leaves a lot of black space. (See it here.) Takeuchi explained the reason for that. “It was technically more difficult to make it like it is now than to split the screen in half,” he said through a translator. Other options were inferior. Eliminating the black space would have made the players’ view of the action to wide. And it introduced another problem. Without pushing one view to the left and one to the right, the lead characters stood in one column: “Having them on top of each other made it a little difficult to play,” Takeuchi said. “We felt that having the characters on different sides of the screen was the best way to play.”

Controls: The other complaint we fielded here about the demo was that even the new westernized “Resident Evil” controls had disappointed some gamers looking for a scheme similar to a “Gears of War.” “We knew it was going to come up,” Takeuchi said. “When you get your hands on the [full] game you’ll understand the choice we made with the controls.” He added: “We understand that there are many people who want to run and shoot at the same time, but it’s not the right alignment for the game.”

Race: Reactions to the depiction of black people in “Resident Evil 5″ have been wide-ranging, dating at least as far back as this blog’s interview with reporter N’Gai Croal about the “RE5″ debut trailer. Recent previews have suggested that the retail release of the game will trigger a round of mainstream criticism from people well outside the gaming press. Takeuchi disagrees. “I’m not expecting it,” he said. “When the game is out to the mainstream and on the shelves and being played by users, I’m not expecting it to be a problem. People will be able to play the game and see what it is for themselves.” And if people do complain, he said, “I guess we would respond to that and point out our intentions in making [the game].”

Loading Times: Write-ups of preview builds of the game have raised another issue with the game: frequent loading times. “I do think there is potential to improve them in the future,” Takeuchi said. “There are a lot of problems when you make a game like this. Loading times on Blu-Ray and DVD are not the same. The memory on the consoles are not the same. When it comes to having slightly longer load times or a worse gameplay experience, we’ll take longer loading times.” Takeuchi said that the finished game should have shorter loading times than the preview builds currently being written about. “No loading times, of course, is the ideal.”

After all that, I threw in three questions of my own:

The Wii: I wanted to know why “Resident Evil 5″ isn’t being released for the world’s most popular gaming platform. “When we set out to make ‘Resident Evil 5,’ the guys knew that if you want to make the most powerful, most pretty game, the Wii isn’t the best choice,” Takeuchi said. “From a business perspective it may have been, but after making this game we are happy with the choice we made.”

Mercenaries: One of the most-imitated parts of “Resident Evil 4” was the game’s bonus Mercenaries mode, which threw a rush of enemies at the player in the same way that “Gears of War“’s Horde Mode and “Left 4 Dead” would. Takeuchi wouldn’t say if it’s back, but did promise “some kind of bonus” for finishing the game.

Lonely ‘Resident Evil’: Lastly, I wanted to know if the introduction of online co-op into a core “Resident Evil” game meant that the days of lonelier single-character “Resident Evil” adventures were over. Can you have a single-player, single-character “Resident Evil” game in the future? Takeuchi replied: “Yes.”

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31512
News Posts: 1717
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 16:12:47

gamingeek said:

Archangel3371 said:



Well I did try to look up her skirt a couple of times. Nyaa

I don't really know what I might have done so differently. Perhaps checking out the sites and managing my items I guess.

I tried to use the sniper scope to get a booby close up. No joy. Damn AI made her duck all the time.


Punk Rebel Ecks said:
7 Hours? Dear God. Seriously what's with this gen for consoles? What happened to 12 hours minimum? I still think around 20 hours is the sweet spot for most games. I mean fuck why did this game take 4 years to develop again?

teh graphics. The most powerful hardware with the bestest graphics.

“When we set out to make ‘Resident Evil 5,’ the guys knew that if you want to make the most powerful, most pretty game, the Wii isn’t the best choice. From a business perspective it may have been, but after making this game we are happy with the choice we made.” - Capcom’s Jun Takeuchi

Dvader said:

So one or two mags say its 7, others say its 17, it will probably be in the middle. RE4 took me 16 hours on my first go, now I can finish it in 5 or 6 easy.  It depends how you play.


I'm worried because they said that they didn't rush it and were just playing normally. As the days go by I'm even sure this is day 1 anymore for me, mainly because I have so much other stuff to play.  

I'll let you know the truth GG when I play.

660896.png
avatar
Country: CA
Comments: 13497
News Posts: 0
Joined: 2008-07-01
 
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 16:19:35

Nice interview. Of course I'm really glad with the choice they made in putting RE5 on the 360/PS3 as well. Man I'm so pumped for this game. We're almost at the 2 weeks away point now. Woo hoo!

1176413.png

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47396
News Posts: 59768
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:07:30
Splitscreen is interesting. Sometimes the way you split the screen really affects how a game is played. The ratios and visible screen sizes. I prefer to have the choice per game.

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31512
News Posts: 1717
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:30:05

Archangel3371 said:

Nice interview. Of course I'm really glad with the choice they made in putting RE5 on the 360/PS3 as well. Man I'm so pumped for this game. We're almost at the 2 weeks away point now. Woo hoo!

As am I. *ducks behind Angel and lets him take the attack* Nyaa

660896.png
avatar
Country: CA
Comments: 13497
News Posts: 0
Joined: 2008-07-01
 
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:33:07

Dvader said:


Archangel3371 said:


Nice interview. Of course I'm really glad with the choice they made in putting RE5 on the 360/PS3 as well. Man I'm so pumped for this game. We're almost at the 2 weeks away point now. Woo hoo!


As am I. *ducks behind Angel and lets him take the attack* Nyaa

 



LOL Bring it on their 'waggeling' won't phase me. Nyaa

1176413.png

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47396
News Posts: 59768
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:45:44
Archangel3371 said:
Dvader said:
Archangel3371 said:
Nice interview. Of course I'm really glad with the choice they made in putting RE5 on the 360/PS3 as well. Man I'm so pumped for this game. We're almost at the 2 weeks away point now. Woo hoo!

As am I. *ducks behind Angel and lets him take the attack* Nyaa

LOL Bring it on their 'waggeling' won't phase me. Nyaa

But my angry penis jerking will!

*avoids spelling joke*

avatar
Country: CA
Comments: 13497
News Posts: 0
Joined: 2008-07-01
 
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:53:58

gamingeek said:

Archangel3371 said:



Dvader said:



Archangel3371 said:

Nice interview. Of course I'm really glad with the choice they made in putting RE5 on the 360/PS3 as well. Man I'm so pumped for this game. We're almost at the 2 weeks away point now. Woo hoo!


As am I. *ducks behind Angel and lets him take the attack* Nyaa


LOL Bring it on their 'waggeling' won't phase me. Nyaa

But my angry penis jerking will!



*avoids spelling joke*

 



LOL Ah so many funny things I could say about why your penis is angry.
Edited: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:54:36

1176413.png

avatar
Country: MX
Comments: 11508
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 22:06:51

Archangel3371 said:

LOL Ah so many funny things I could say about why your penis is angry.

You would be angry too if you had to sit there unwashed and unused, neglected for long periods of time.

avatar
Country: CA
Comments: 13497
News Posts: 0
Joined: 2008-07-01
 
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 22:25:51

SteelAttack said:

Archangel3371 said:

LOL Ah so many funny things I could say about why your penis is angry.

You would be angry too if you had to sit there unwashed and unused, neglected for long periods of time.

 



LOL And there's one of those jokes.

Still on your trips?

1176413.png

avatar
Country: MX
Comments: 11508
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 22:29:09

Archangel3371 said:

SteelAttack said:

Archangel3371 said:

LOL Ah so many funny things I could say about why your penis is angry.

You would be angry too if you had to sit there unwashed and unused, neglected for long periods of time.



LOL And there's one of those jokes.

Still on your trips?

Yeah, just stopped by to say hello before heading to south america, in my endless search of the Golden Phallus, a strange device that will grant me absolute power. LOL

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31512
News Posts: 1717
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Wed, 25 Feb 2009 00:12:13

New Polish review:

Score: 9-/10

- Outside of co-op, it's basically RE4 HD.
- Story info: The game explains how the virus came into existance, describes events that happened even before RE0 and sheds new light on a few things. Las Plagas are also involved into the African incident.

- The destructability of the environment has been somewhat improved but it's still limited to what the designers allow us to destroy.

- Sheva's AI is pretty good: she moves away from our line of fire, provides help when needed, pick up ammo and herbs that the player misses and so on.

- Co-op is fantastic and he really likes that a second player can join in at any given moment (though if a person does join us we are automatically brought back to the last activated checkpoint)

- There's no merchant in the game, all our weapon purchases/ upgrades are carried out in a menu accessed between chapters. On that note, you're always short on cash because there's a plethora of weapons to buy/ upgrade. (about the Upgrade system: you upgrade the Firepower, Reload Speed, Capacity and Critical Hit %)

- He says that the biggest "issue" in the game is the control system. It's a like it or leave it relationship. He, himself, states that at first he had a negative approach to this archaic control scheme but now he understands that it was a conscious design decision. This control scheme lets the enemies get the drop on us and makes the game more challenging.

- The context sensitive cover system is introduced along with the gun wielding Majini.

- He mentions that he wishes this game would have more trickier to take down foes like the Regenerators in RE4.

- The boss fights are a bit worse than in RE4.

- The says that the villige looks phenomenal (especially durning the day) but it goes downhill from there. The Factory and the Caves lack finesse, however, the latter can mesmerize you with its lightining effects and excellent texture work.

- The "puzzles" (if you can call them that) in RE5 boil down to go there, get the key, turn the velve and so on.

- The game looks a bit better on the Xbox360 but those are minute details which likely most people won't even notice.

- The character models are top notch.

- The characters themselves are rather bland personality-wise. The dialogues in the game are rather mediocre, however, the voice acting is fine.

- The story as a whole is rather bland, predictable and unispired but RE fans will be satisfied with it.

- It took him 12 hours to complete the game but he immediately returned to it because of the plentiful bonuses and unlockables.


Some side notes:
- Monsters from RE1 will make a comeback.

- They were forbidded by CAPCOM to write about a certain someone appearing in the game, the bonus mode and the other unlockables, certain locations in the game, print screenshots from the final chapter of the game or those showcasing QTEs.
660896.png
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31512
News Posts: 1717
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Wed, 25 Feb 2009 00:49:02

From a joystiq interview with Takeuchi:

Was creating the game as a fully co-op-compatible adventure always the goal, or was that something that was added mid-way?

It was I guess something that we included part way through the development of the game. I always had the idea that co-op was something that was going to be necessary in Resident Evil 5. But just when we started planning and making the game right at the start, the pressure to outdo Resident Evil 4 was so strong that it was difficult to get everybody in the team behind the idea of doing a co-op focused game.

Once we got everybody on the same page and decided that this was the way to go, things went pretty smoothly after that. But just getting everybody to realize that it was something that was necessary took a little bit of time.


Proof that co-op was added later.

Has the lack of Shinji Mikami involvement affected this game? Do you think it is something that he would want to play? Would he approve?
Obviously the fact that Mikami is not involved in the title, especially in the early stages of making the title, did have a big influence on us, and it put a lot of pressure on us right at the start. As for what he would say if he was to play the game, I guess I can't really say. Of course because he is not involved in the game, it has gone in a different direction than I am sure he would have taken it himself.

So I am not really sure I want to know actually what he thinks of it. Probably, he is the last person whose opinion I want to ask about the game.

LOL

He always says the reason they didn't go with the wii was cause they wanted to push the series as forward as they can and that does include graphics.


660896.png
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31512
News Posts: 1717
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Wed, 25 Feb 2009 06:32:43

Famitsu review:

Famitsu 10 / 10 / 9 / 9

That's perfect scores from 2 of the reviewers, and '9' from the other 2 reviewers.

Here's what they basically said:
- 20~25 hours play time
- The unlockables which you get for clearing the game are pretty good, probably have the best clear-game extras ever for a RE game
- No real evolution from Resident Evil 4
- Cooperative play is an important element

also

The review scores from Famitsu XBox and Dengeki (another Japanese gaming magazine) have surfaced too.

Dengeki: 85 / 85 / 85 / 85
Famitsu Xbox: 10 / 9 / 9 / 9

660896.png
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 16060
News Posts: 1043
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 25 Feb 2009 08:17:38
Is that 85 out of 100?

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47396
News Posts: 59768
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:37:05

Archangel3371 said:

SteelAttack said:

Archangel3371 said:

LOL Ah so many funny things I could say about why your penis is angry.

You would be angry too if you had to sit there unwashed and unused, neglected for long periods of time.



LOL And there's one of those jokes.

Still on your trips?

Don't mock me, wash me.

SteelAttack said:

Yeah, just stopped by to say hello before heading to south america, in my endless search of the Golden Phallus, a strange device that will grant me absolute power. LOL

LOL

Dvader, that polish review sucked for me. Yet still got a high score.

Was Takuechi trashing Mikami? Mikami cut his own head off and yet still lives, you dont want to mess with that shit. And pushing RE5 forward? RE4 HD is pushing? Feck off.

WTF is up with Degenki, all identical scores from seperate reviewers? Did they have a meeting, put all their hands on top of each other like some 80s movie and yell "85!" at the same time?

<< prevnext >>
Log in or Register for free to comment
Recently Spotted:
*crickets*
Login @ The VG Press
Username:
Password:
Remember me?