Forum > Gaming Discussion > Just another Mario game
Just another Mario game
next >>
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6351
News Posts: 411
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 04:57:06
0
I haven't played New Super Mario Bros. Wii as yet, but I'm curious as to the attitude of it being just another Mario game, and the suggestion that it's not a great deal different that the old 2D games.

How is this a complain?  It's been nearly 20 years since Super Mario World.  There is essentially no competition at all, even if you include handhelds the market for 2D platformers is rather barren.

They go with a stripped down approach with the DS games, complaints of not enough suits and it being too easy.  They crank up the difficulty and add more suits, and suddenly it's not different enough from Super Mario Bros 3. W-T-F?

I don't know about the rest of you, but once every 18 years isn't really pushing it, nor do I want Mario to add a great deal of complication.  Why does anyone else?

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31211
News Posts: 1716
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 05:23:30
0
I dont know if the amount of years means anything. All I know is that I play this game and it is not wow like those older games on, its not on that same level of greatness. I just judge the game like I do every other.
660896.png
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 14685
News Posts: 2158
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 05:33:51
0
NSMB Wii is a near-perfect Super Mario game, which easily holds its own against the older 2D games, IMO. The wow factor in the single player portion is lessened quite a bit due to it being so similar to the DS game, but the mulitplayer easily makes up for it, which has been the most fun I've had playing a game in a long time.
Edited: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 05:34:26

The VG Press

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 18098
News Posts: 8761
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 05:47:09
0

I'm holding judgment until I play it. My concerns about it pre-launch was my impression that it was a port of a handheld game with some different levels.  I've not been a fan of games ported from the PSP to the PS2, it's kinda cheap in my opinion and if they did that from DS to Wii same thing.

Now apparently it's not just a port, but something amazing (according to the world), so I'm going to buy it and find out for myself.  For those who have played it I'd like to see where it fits on the quality arc of Mario 2D games.

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 14685
News Posts: 2158
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 07:05:04
0

aspro said:

For those who have played it I'd like to see where it fits on the quality arc of Mario 2D games.

IMO:

  1. Super Mario World
  2. Super Mario Bros.
  3. Super Mario Bros. 3
  4. NSMB Wii
  5. NSMB DS
  6. Super Mario Bros. 2
  7. Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels

The VG Press

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31211
News Posts: 1716
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 07:14:41
0
1. SM3
2. SMW
3. NSMB Wii
4. SMB
5. NSMB DS
6. SMB 2
660896.png
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6351
News Posts: 411
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 07:20:57
0
Dvader said:
I dont know if the amount of years means anything. All I know is that I play this game and it is not wow like those older games on, its not on that same level of greatness. I just judge the game like I do every other.

Yes, but then the concern thereby transitions to level design and implementation, and not about it being just more Mario.  Just more running and jumping.  Just more koopas and goombas and bullet bill.  There's nothing wrong with taking them to task for implementation, but the concept that they weren't pushing things enough into this vague concept of future 2D platforming design that doesn't exist comes across as narcissistic and frivolous.

If the levels are too simplistic -- that's a problem.
If the physics are inconsistent -- that's a problem.
If the camera is misplaced -- that's a problem.

But suggesting the game is stuck in the past by following in the series footsteps, and in a genre that hasn't been competitive, and there has never been a new standard in, is in itself an impossible standard.  That is the issue.

Edited: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 07:21:13

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 18098
News Posts: 8761
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 07:43:44
0

Dvader said:
1. SM3
2. SMW
3. NSMB Wii
4. SMB
5. NSMB DS
6. SMB 2

Wow. #3? Then I may as well buy it now through the VGPress Store.

"This item is not available for purchase from this store.
Click here to go to Amazon to see other purchasing options."

Bummer, looks like I'll have to buy it direct.  But you think that highly of it eh? 

EDIT: Well that's f'd up. I went to buy it from amazon.com but it looks likr their stock is depleted. hey only have it from private parties (starting at $67).

Edited: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 07:47:37

avatar
Country: NL
Comments: 9419
News Posts: 9625
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 09:06:21
0

The only thing NSMBWii and NSMB(DS) have in common is the art style. The Wii version totaly destroys the DS version. Read my impressions in the thread. So far each and every level it totally distinct from each other. The difficulty is also much higher. I have died tons of times. This is all the single player portion. Then you still have the multi-player. People saying this is a port have no fucking idea what a port is. 

A platformer needs two things perfect controls which every Mario game has and good level design. NSMBWii has both in spades.

P.S. don't listen to Vader, he hates DKC 2 and loves games like Sonic Adventure 2. He clearly knows nothing about platformers.

*Read Hamsters post

Damn me and the rodent actually agree on something. More proof that the world is about to end.

@Aspro

NSMBWii is around SMB3/SMW/YI level. Where it stands exactly I do not know yet, because I have not finished it yet and I have to replay those games to be certain. But the early levels already throw crazy stuff at you. More that all the previous games except for Yoshi's Island.

The VG Press
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46392
News Posts: 59731
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 12:26:44

I will play it on Christmas day.

Don't ignore Yoshi's Island though or the DS Yoshi's island game or NSMB DS.

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 14685
News Posts: 2158
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 12:30:24

gamingeek said:

Don't ignore Yoshi's Island though or the DS Yoshi's island game or NSMB DS.

Who's ignoring them?

The VG Press

avatar
Country: MX
Comments: 11479
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:17:45

gamingeek said:

I will play it on Christmas day.

Same here.

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46392
News Posts: 59731
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:27:03

Ravenprose said:

gamingeek said:

Don't ignore Yoshi's Island though or the DS Yoshi's island game or NSMB DS.

Who's ignoring them?

Yoda said:

"How is this a complain?  It's been nearly 20 years since Super Mario World"

Also the grammar Nazi has been outed. Look! LOL

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 16004
News Posts: 720
Joined: 2009-02-25
 
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:28:21

gamingeek said:

I will play it on Christmas day.

Don't ignore Yoshi's Island though or the DS Yoshi's island game or NSMB DS.

The Yoshi games are so different though I don't even put them in the Mario category.  Not saying that in a bad way mind you, as I think they're some of the best platformers ever made.  But the way they handle give the games a very distinct feel unique to themselves, particularly Yoshi's Island DS.

As as far NSMB Wii goes, I love it.  I think SMW is still the best game of the series, but this is neck and neck with SMB3.  That's a decision that will have to come with time though, kind of like Iga said.  As far as difficulty though, the hardest levels in this game are harder than the ones in SMB3, but still not as tough as the Special Levels in World. . . and of course most of Lost Levels still kick every other Mario Level ever made in terms of difficulty (which is not always a good thing though).

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 14685
News Posts: 2158
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:28:33

SteelAttack said:

gamingeek said:

I will play it on Christmas day.

Same here.

Bah! I will have 100% completed it by then!

Instead, I will be eating lots of Christmas ham, stuffing, mash potatoes, deviled eggs, and egg nog. After which, I will be taking a long winter nap. Happy

Edited: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:32:57

The VG Press

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 14685
News Posts: 2158
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:30:47

robio said:

gamingeek said:

I will play it on Christmas day.

Don't ignore Yoshi's Island though or the DS Yoshi's island game or NSMB DS.

The Yoshi games are so different though I don't even put them in the Mario category.  Not saying that in a bad way mind you, as I think they're some of the best platformers ever made.  But the way they handle give the games a very distinct feel unique to themselves, particularly Yoshi's Island DS.

Agreed. Yoshi's Island is a completely separate series, IMO.

The VG Press

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46392
News Posts: 59731
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:31:14

Ravenprose said:

SteelAttack said:

gamingeek said:

I will play it on Christmas day.

Same here.

Bah! I will have 100% completed it by then!

Instead, I will be eating lots of Christmas ham, stuffing, mash potatoes, deviled eggs, and egg nog. After which, I will be taking a long winter nap. Happy

Just in time to start a new City Folk save file Happy

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 14685
News Posts: 2158
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:31:55

gamingeek said:

Just in time to start a new City Folk save file Happy

F*** City Folk!

The VG Press

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46392
News Posts: 59731
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:34:34

Ravenprose said:

gamingeek said:

Just in time to start a new City Folk save file Happy

F*** City Folk!

F*** you Scrooge McRaven!

Look at what you're missing Grinning

AnimalCrossing%20-%20eMagi.co.uk-13.jpg

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 14685
News Posts: 2158
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:35:31
I was there this time last year. I am missing nothing!

The VG Press

next >>
Log in or Register for free to comment
Recently Spotted:
*crickets*
Login @ The VG Press
Username:
Password:
Remember me?