Forum > Gaming Discussion > Dreamcast 10th Anniversary Celebration
Dreamcast 10th Anniversary Celebration
<< prevnext >>
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 16574
News Posts: 2680
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 10 Sep 2009 19:48:55

gamingeek said:

Ravenprose said:

gamingeek said:
The DC controller sucked? Then what the fuck is the 360 pad then?

Comparing the DC controller to the 360 controller is like comparing a dog turd to filet mignon.

So the Dreamcast controller is a filet mignon.

Agreed.

The 360 controller is a copy of the Dreamcast pad so if one sucks the other sucks too.

Wrong.

The VG Press

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47963
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 10 Sep 2009 20:12:23

Ravenprose said:

gamingeek said:

Ravenprose said:

gamingeek said:
The DC controller sucked? Then what the fuck is the 360 pad then?

Comparing the DC controller to the 360 controller is like comparing a dog turd to filet mignon.

So the Dreamcast controller is a filet mignon.

Agreed.

The 360 controller is a copy of the Dreamcast pad so if one sucks the other sucks too.

Wrong.

The main stick and d-pad, as well as diamond button config and the triggers too are all nearly identically placed. The shape may be different but its defintely more similar to the DC pad than any other controller out there.

And I like both. Although the original Xbox pad sucked as the buttons and sticks just weren't responsive enough.

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 18964
News Posts: 8990
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Thu, 10 Sep 2009 21:03:18
Until the XB S-Type controller the Dreamcast was my all time favorite.  Well placed analog stick, real triggers and a good size (for my hands). All it needed was a second analog.

I think the XB S is still my fave.


My problem with the current XB controller is that battery pack on the back. It aggravates my fingers after a few hours.

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 16574
News Posts: 2680
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 10 Sep 2009 22:26:41

aspro73 said:

My problem with the current XB controller is that battery pack on the back. It aggravates my fingers after a few hours.

I never even notice it during gameplay.


gamingeek said:

The main stick and d-pad, as well as diamond button config and the triggers too are all nearly identically placed. The shape may be different but its defintely more similar to the DC pad than any other controller out there.

And I like both. Although the original Xbox pad sucked as the buttons and sticks just weren't responsive enough.

I didn't have a problem with DC's button/stick layout, but it did have a lot of annoying issues:

  1. No second analogue stick: Granted dual-analogue wasn't quite standard at that time, but the PS1 had dual-analogue, and anyone with half a brain could see the benefits it offered for camera control.
  2. D-pad was crap: I hated that D-pad, especially after using the near-godly Saturn D-pad for years. The 360's D-pad isn't very good either, but I consider it to be about five times better than DC's.
  3. No built-in rumble: PS1 had it, but not the DC? WTF? This was really appalling to me since Sega charged $30 for the controller, and and additional $25 for their stupid Jump Pack. I'm sure they were just following what Nintendo did with N64, but they should've been following Sony's example instead since they were mostly competing with them during that time.
  4. Awkward shape: The way you had to grip the controller was very uncomfortable for me. I have a problem with wrist tendinitis, and that controller caused me a great deal of discomfort. So much so, that I ended up buying third-party controllers to play DC games.
Microsoft may have borrowed heavily on DC's button/stick layout, but they improved upon all of them greatly, especially in regards ergonomics.
Edited: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 22:30:26

The VG Press

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 2701
News Posts: 277
Joined: 2008-07-12
 
Thu, 10 Sep 2009 22:52:48
Got another rad Dreamcast memory.

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6467
News Posts: 413
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 11 Sep 2009 03:39:28
gamingeek said:

Ravenprose said:

gamingeek said:
The DC controller sucked? Then what the fuck is the 360 pad then?

Comparing the DC controller to the 360 controller is like comparing a dog turd to filet mignon.

So the Dreamcast controller is a filet mignon.

Agreed.

The 360 controller is a copy of the Dreamcast pad so if one sucks the other sucks too.

The oversized orignal Xbox controller that got panned and replaced was a copy of the Dreamcast controller.

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47963
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:40:32

Yodariquo said:
gamingeek said:

Ravenprose said:

gamingeek said:
The DC controller sucked? Then what the fuck is the 360 pad then?

Comparing the DC controller to the 360 controller is like comparing a dog turd to filet mignon.

So the Dreamcast controller is a filet mignon.

Agreed.

The 360 controller is a copy of the Dreamcast pad so if one sucks the other sucks too.

The oversized orignal Xbox controller that got panned and replaced was a copy of the Dreamcast controller.

Shit LOL The burger! I'd forgotten that one. So big it hurt peoples hands. What were they thinking?

Ravenprose said:

aspro73 said:

My problem with the current XB controller is that battery pack on the back. It aggravates my fingers after a few hours.

I never even notice it during gameplay.


gamingeek said:

The main stick and d-pad, as well as diamond button config and the triggers too are all nearly identically placed. The shape may be different but its defintely more similar to the DC pad than any other controller out there.

And I like both. Although the original Xbox pad sucked as the buttons and sticks just weren't responsive enough.

I didn't have a problem with DC's button/stick layout, but it did have a lot of annoying issues:

  1. No second analogue stick: Granted dual-analogue wasn't quite standard at that time, but the PS1 had dual-analogue, and anyone with half a brain could see the benefits it offered for camera control.
  2. D-pad was crap: I hated that D-pad, especially after using the near-godly Saturn D-pad for years. The 360's D-pad isn't very good either, but I consider it to be about five times better than DC's.
  3. No built-in rumble: PS1 had it, but not the DC? WTF? This was really appalling to me since Sega charged $30 for the controller, and and additional $25 for their stupid Jump Pack. I'm sure they were just following what Nintendo did with N64, but they should've been following Sony's example instead since they were mostly competing with them during that time.
  4. Awkward shape: The way you had to grip the controller was very uncomfortable for me. I have a problem with wrist tendinitis, and that controller caused me a great deal of discomfort. So much so, that I ended up buying third-party controllers to play DC games.
Microsoft may have borrowed heavily on DC's button/stick layout, but they improved upon all of them greatly, especially in regards ergonomics.

You didn't need a second stick for games back then, you dont need one now as the Wii controller shows. Just have a decent camera system developers. Maybe for FPS I guess. Nothing else really. I got a rumble and memory pack built into one from a 3rd party, did the job nicely.

The shape was fine for me, I dont think MS improved ergonimics until very recentely with the 360 pad. The predecessors were pretty horrible for me.

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 16205
News Posts: 1043
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 11 Sep 2009 12:04:09

^

I hated the Xbox S controller as well actually. I thought the design was good, but something about it really, really made my hands hurt. Probably the most painful controller (GBA: SP doesn't count) I've ever used, so the Dreamcast controller is automatically better.

And who doesn't love a controller where you can play mini games on the memory card?

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47963
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:16:48

Foolz said:

^

I hated the Xbox S controller as well actually. I thought the design was good, but something about it really, really made my hands hurt. Probably the most painful controller (GBA: SP doesn't count) I've ever used, so the Dreamcast controller is automatically better.

And who doesn't love a controller where you can play mini games on the memory card?

Yeah I got the S controller too and it didn't fit my hands right and the buttons were still unresponsive.

Anyhow, back to Dreamcast. I loved Jet Set Radio but felt no desire to buy the xbox sequel for some reason. The racers were great, MSR was Project Gotham, by the same team and the orignal soundtrack was a highlight. Daytona too was a legend and the fighters, Soul freaking calibur? DOA2? Just brilliant.

There were also some good lightgun games that I unfortunately never partook in. The game cases were so fragile though.

Even Sonic was okay back then. Okay, not great Nyaa

Skies of Arcadia was 45 hrs of pure fun. As someone who doesn't like all the complexity and faff and angst of modern rpgs, this was rpg nirvana. If you never played it get the GC version.

avatar
Country: CA
Comments: 13968
News Posts: 0
Joined: 2008-07-01
 
Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:27:25

The DC was a great system and there were a good number of games I enjoyed on it especially fighting games. For me the Xbox was a natural evolution of it along with the 360. I got into the Xbox late in it's lifetime so the only controller I used was the Type-S. I loved it though. I think dual analog sticks are fantastic and the way they were/are postioned on Microsoft's system is perfect. I find them quite comfortable and natural to hold. Aside from the d-pad the 360's controller is perfect IMO.

1176413.png

avatar
Country: CO
Comments: 11520
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:25:37

Archangel3371 said:

I find them quite comfortable and natural to hold. Aside from the d-pad the 360's controller is perfect IMO.

Of course the 360 controller is perfect. Don't mind these guys with girly hands.

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6467
News Posts: 413
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:29:24
SteelAttack said:

Archangel3371 said:

I find them quite comfortable and natural to hold. Aside from the d-pad the 360's controller is perfect IMO.

Of course the 360 controller is perfect. Don't mind these guys with girly hands.

Spherical buttons FTL

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31715
News Posts: 1717
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:44:03

Yodariquo said:
SteelAttack said:

Archangel3371 said:

I find them quite comfortable and natural to hold. Aside from the d-pad the 360's controller is perfect IMO.

Of course the 360 controller is perfect. Don't mind these guys with girly hands.

Spherical buttons FTL

This. Nyaa

660896.png
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47963
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 11 Sep 2009 19:04:21

SteelAttack said:

Archangel3371 said:

I find them quite comfortable and natural to hold. Aside from the d-pad the 360's controller is perfect IMO.

Of course the 360 controller is perfect. Don't mind these guys with girly hands.

No, I'm saying that the Xbox 1 controllers weren't perfect (Burger and S) and that the controllers themselves including the 360 controller owes a lot to the DC controller.

So dont mess with Dreamcast, cloud fetish man. Nyaa

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 18964
News Posts: 8990
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Fri, 11 Sep 2009 21:10:41
Concave buttons are the best. Everyone agrees yes?

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 2590
News Posts: 64
Joined: 2009-03-24
 
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 05:00:54

gamingeek said:

Ravenprose said:

gamingeek said:
The DC controller sucked? Then what the fuck is the 360 pad then?

Comparing the DC controller to the 360 controller is like comparing a dog turd to filet mignon.

So the Dreamcast controller is a filet mignon.

Agreed.

The 360 controller is a copy of the Dreamcast pad so if one sucks the other sucks too.

Both D-pads suck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now Playing: Golden Sun Dark Dawn, God of War Ghost of Sparta, and DKC Returns

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47963
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 14:50:46

ASK_Story said:

gamingeek said:

Ravenprose said:

gamingeek said:
The DC controller sucked? Then what the fuck is the 360 pad then?

Comparing the DC controller to the 360 controller is like comparing a dog turd to filet mignon.

So the Dreamcast controller is a filet mignon.

Agreed.

The 360 controller is a copy of the Dreamcast pad so if one sucks the other sucks too.

Both D-pads suck.

 But DCs D-pad was still better IMO. Most dpads suck in general. The DS D-pads and wii remote pad are pretty finnicky on the diagonals. The 360 pad with the circle under it is terrible. The broken dpad of the Playstation is tough to work. 

The SNES Dpad was good but so hard that if you played too often it could give you callouses. 

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 15297
News Posts: 475
Joined: 2008-07-03
 
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 15:00:00

I got Skies on the GC.  Very lengthy game.
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47963
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 15:07:45

travo said:

I got Skies on the GC.  Very lengthy game.

 That version had extra quests. Any good ones?

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 15297
News Posts: 475
Joined: 2008-07-03
 
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 15:09:02

gamingeek said:

travo said:

I got Skies on the GC.  Very lengthy game.

That version had extra quests. Any good ones?

I honestly can't remember. LOL

<< prevnext >>
Log in or Register for free to comment
Recently Spotted:
*crickets*
Login @ The VG Press
Username:
Password:
Remember me?