Forum > Non-Gaming Discussion > The Blasphemy Thread
The Blasphemy Thread
<< prevnext >>
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 16205
News Posts: 1043
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sun, 09 Aug 2009 03:11:11
I'm glad to see The God Delusion in there too .WinkWink

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6467
News Posts: 413
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sun, 09 Aug 2009 03:36:59
Persecution Complex

The Internet

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: CO
Comments: 11520
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 00:19:15

Seems fitting.

Like this one:


avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47974
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 12:11:51

ASK_Story said:
It's still offensive. There are Christians on this site you know

I was only joking. But I understand why you feel that way.

Me and religion, I dont get involved.

avatar
Country: CO
Comments: 11520
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 14:02:20

gamingeek said:

Me and religion, I dont get involved.

I am your only religion. Worship me.

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 267
News Posts: 13
Joined: 2009-04-25
 
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 16:45:13
I guess I see it this way...  The internet is a place where not only do people have freedom of speech, they have the freedom not to be spoken to.  If you are Christian and know you are going to find this thread to be offensive, no one is going to grab your mouse and click on the thread but you.  If I was highly susceptible to being offended by stuff like this, the title of the thread is enough to know it isn't the place for me.

It is the same reason why I don't visit Shame-us's blog.  I know it will piss me off.  He has the right to say whatever he wants, and I have the right to not hear any of it.
Edited: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 16:45:29
Now Playing: King's Bounty, Demon's Souls, BF1943
Now Listening: Karl Blau- Zebra, Atlas Sound- Logos
avatar
Country: CO
Comments: 11520
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 17:13:00

rragnaar said:
I guess I see it this way...  The internet is a place where not only do people have freedom of speech, they have the freedom not to be spoken to.  If you are Christian and know you are going to find this thread to be offensive, no one is going to grab your mouse and click on the thread but you.  If I was highly susceptible to being offended by stuff like this, the title of the thread is enough to know it isn't the place for me.

It is the same reason why I don't visit Shame-us's blog.  I know it will piss me off.  He has the right to say whatever he wants, and I have the right to not hear any of it.

I am offended by your common sense.

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47974
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 18:18:39

SteelAttack said:

gamingeek said:

Me and religion, I dont get involved.

I am your only religion. Worship me.

The day your balls dropped was the day I stopped worshipping you.

avatar
Country: EU
Comments: 9423
News Posts: 9625
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 18:24:18

gamingeek said:

SteelAttack said:

gamingeek said:

Me and religion, I dont get involved.

I am your only religion. Worship me.

The day your balls dropped was the day I stopped worshipping you.

 The asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs was in fact one of Steel's ballz dropping. True story!

The VG Press
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47974
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 19:11:55

Iga_Bobovic said:

gamingeek said:

SteelAttack said:

gamingeek said:

Me and religion, I dont get involved.

I am your only religion. Worship me.

The day your balls dropped was the day I stopped worshipping you.

The asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs was in fact one of Steel's ballz dropping. True story!

When they realised what they were about to be covered with they all committed suicide beforehand.

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 16205
News Posts: 1043
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 11 Aug 2009 04:08:08

gamingeek said:

Iga_Bobovic said:

gamingeek said:

SteelAttack said:

gamingeek said:

Me and religion, I dont get involved.

I am your only religion. Worship me.

The day your balls dropped was the day I stopped worshipping you.

The asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs was in fact one of Steel's ballz dropping. True story!

When they realised what they were about to be covered with they all committed suicide beforehand.

 that's what she said.

avatar
Country: CO
Comments: 11520
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Tue, 11 Aug 2009 05:28:42
I am offended by all of your penises. They all pale in comparison to my girthy leviathan. Hop in, fellows, and I'll take you for a ride in the Wang-O-Mobile.
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47974
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:49:14

SteelAttack said:
I am offended by all of your penises. They all pale in comparison to my girthy leviathan. Hop in, fellows, and I'll take you for a ride in the Wang-O-Mobile.

 No thanks. 

avatar
Country: CA
Comments: 403
News Posts: 0
Joined: 2008-11-26
 
Thu, 13 Aug 2009 23:19:59


I'll just link to this one, because it's so big.

--------------------------------------------

Listen to Iced Earth and play Doom

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 16205
News Posts: 1043
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 14 Aug 2009 04:42:41
avatar
Country: EU
Comments: 9423
News Posts: 9625
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 20 Aug 2009 20:49:01

Found this on Sherdog

The VG Press
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 1754
News Posts: 65
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 21 Aug 2009 02:57:03

Yodariquo said:


This is not about individuals or individual groups.  It's not the "We hate Christians" thread, or the "Muslims suck" thread or the "Stupid Jainists" thread or the "Stone Atheists" thread.  It's the Blasphemy Thread.  Blasphemy is an imaginary concept; it's not offense to a human, it's offense to a deity.  Calling blasphemy offensive is in fact a misnomer, because to take offense is to take offense on behalf of a god.  It's not a slight to an individual, nor is it limited to anything specific.

I also don't really care how loosely the term blasphemy is taken.  Post some demolished PS3s as an affront to Ken Kutaragi.  It's that regardless of who takes offense, it's expression.  It's paper.  It's Jesus with Christmas lights.  It's a plush pig Mohammed.

Despite it being posted in jest, Iga finding offense in your offense is exactly the point.  The blasphemy law comes from religion taking its place on a pedestal when it comes to discussion, that because of this offense that people find from the most innocuous of comments, and is taken to the greatest extreme.  It ignores the offense that I may take at the attempted destruction of the American science education curriculum in the name of God, at the hands of ignorance.  Yet we do not silence them.

Umm.... bullshit. This thread is severely disrespecting things that people believe in not to mention has plenty of stereotyping in it as well. It's one thing to poke fun but totally another to go as far as many of these posts in this thread. Your not just disrespecting something that you think is nothing more than imagination, but people's values and lifestyle's as well.

Normally I'd just lock this thread right off the back, but I'd like to hear the opinions of some users first.


Edited: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 03:08:35

One of the site's forefathers.

Play fighting games!

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6467
News Posts: 413
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 21 Aug 2009 03:16:01
Actually, no.  I'm going by the dictionary definition of blasphemy here, "the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God."  It's taking offense on behalf of a god.

Oh, you're finding this thread offensive?  Really?  Why, that was SO not my intention...
Yodariquo said:
please take this opportunity to be as completely and utterly offensive as possible


It couldn't be that I'm using the opportunity to blatantly disobey--dare I say blaspheme--a ridiculous law, could I?  You're not exactly making me concerned that people are being offended in a thread devoted to offending people.
Edited: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 03:17:27

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6467
News Posts: 413
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 21 Aug 2009 03:31:52
On a more serious note, because the fact that this thread is offensive is just redundant because nobody's arguing.  But if this were full of pictures such as this:

Gamer Fanboys

Nobody would give a damn.  And if there were a law outlawing offense to gamers, sure as hell that'd be what we'd be doing right now.  But it's not, because the only time people get so up in arms about pointing out hypocrisy and idiotic ideas is religion.  Suddenly being offended on behalf of your imaginary friend is completely reasonable and legitimate, while being offended on behalf of your favourite gaming company isn't?

The only reason anybody cares is that it's religion.  The protected opinion that nobody can dispute, regardless of when that same religion is stomping on gay rights and corrupting public school science.  I'm plenty offended by religion's stupidity, but if you want to create a prayer thread, by all means, go right ahead.

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 1754
News Posts: 65
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:55:40

Yodariquo said:
Actually, no.  I'm going by the dictionary definition of blasphemy here, "the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God."  It's taking offense on behalf of a god.

Oh, you're finding this thread offensive?  Really?  Why, that was SO not my intention...

Which is thus offending the end user. This has NOTHING to do with "laws" being the reason why this stuff is offensive to people but more so their beliefs, values, and way of life. That's like saying the reason some people find racial slurs offensive is because there are laws against using them in public.


Yodariquo said:

The only reason anybody cares is that it's religion.  The protected opinion that nobody can dispute, regardless of when that same religion is stomping on gay rights and corrupting public school science.

So you essentially want to sink this site as low as those religion heads? Give me a break.




Don't get me wrong I see what you are saying, but the difference between this and that prayer thread is that prayer thread will most likely have some class and respect for others, while this is just a trolling circle jerk thread.

One of the site's forefathers.

Play fighting games!

<< prevnext >>
Log in or Register for free to comment
Recently Spotted:
*crickets*
Login @ The VG Press
Username:
Password:
Remember me?