Forum > Gaming Discussion > Switch: First Impressions
Switch: First Impressions
next >>
avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 17228
News Posts: 8641
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 09:43:35
+1

1. Small.

2. Wii U in reverse (computer in tablet, box on TV empty shell).

3. BOTW looks the same on U and Switch, so don't really have a read on if it's more powerful than U.

4. Joycons, when connected to tablet bend a fair bit.

5. Pro Controller is competant.

6. Meh. Waiting for Odyssey.


Twitter
: @gameunderphil

avatar
Country: BE
Comments: 4442
News Posts: 268
Joined: 2013-06-11
 
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 09:50:33
+1

Yeah, I'm worried about how the Joycons attach to the Swith as well.  I understand that it's impossible to get a perfect fit, but I worry about how it'll fair over the course of many years.  What worries me even more is that the Namco compilation encourages you to hold the device upright and use one joycon like you would hold a GameBoy.  That way you're really stressing the 'hinge' where both devices connect.

I tried to add you yesterday, but you didn't show up yet.  Have you linked your Switch to your account yet?

BotW also isn't the best showcase of what Switch is capable of.  I think graphics wise Switch and WiiU will never be worlds apart, but the Switch has a lot of extra bells and whistles on the hardware side that the WiiU didn't sport, and it's games that use those well that really let the system shine.  One example is the HD rumble.  Mario Kart does a lot of great stuff with it, but BotW hardly uses it.

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 17228
News Posts: 8641
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 10:18:36
0

I don't a Nintendo account. So I have to figure that out yet.

Also, one issue I am having is that the joy cons do not function unless they are disconnected from the tablet, so I'm grumpy about that as well. I don't now if it's broken or I'm a dumbshit (obviously the latter, which is why I want to throw this thing in the bin).

Adding to the frustration is I only have 5 to 7 minutes a day to work on this given my current life, so yeah. bullshit.


Twitter
: @gameunderphil

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 11303
News Posts: 247
Joined: 2008-07-03
 
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 10:39:41
+1

I think Mario + Rabbids is a must.  Even Splatoon 2

The VG Press

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 43100
News Posts: 54685
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 11:04:20
+1
aspro said:

I don't a Nintendo account. So I have to figure that out yet.

Also, one issue I am having is that the joy cons do not function unless they are disconnected from the tablet, so I'm grumpy about that as well. I don't now if it's broken or I'm a dumbshit (obviously the latter, which is why I want to throw this thing in the bin).

Adding to the frustration is I only have 5 to 7 minutes a day to work on this given my current life, so yeah. bullshit.

go to controller settings. Try to disconnect the controllers. Hold down the power button. Turn the power off. Restart and attach joycons. They should resync. Or try holding down the sync button on the sides of the joycons.

avatar
Country: BE
Comments: 4442
News Posts: 268
Joined: 2013-06-11
 
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 11:27:30
+1
aspro said:

Also, one issue I am having is that the joy cons do not function unless they are disconnected from the tablet, so I'm grumpy about that as well. I don't now if it's broken or I'm a dumbshit (obviously the latter, which is why I want to throw this thing in the bin).

I  had that happen to me too.  First thing that went through my mind is that it was pretty cool that they even bothered with 2 different modes when they coudl have just stuck with bluetooth.  I solved it the same way GG described.  Never had it happen again.

travo said:

I think Mario + Rabbids is a must.  Even Splatoon 2

Not too sure about Splatoon 2.  I find myself playing it a lot less than the original.

Edited: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 11:28:14
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 11303
News Posts: 247
Joined: 2008-07-03
 
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 11:39:45
+1

Yeah, same here.  I've moved on to other games.  My wife and son still play it though.

The VG Press

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 13897
News Posts: 213
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 11:52:56
+1
aspro said:

1. Small.

2. Wii U in reverse (computer in tablet, box on TV empty shell).

3. BOTW looks the same on U and Switch, so don't really have a read on if it's more powerful than U.

4. Joycons, when connected to tablet bend a fair bit.

5. Pro Controller is competant.

6. Meh. Waiting for Odyssey.

This is exactly what I think my impressions would be if I picked it up. I'm probably just going to wait for Metroid at this point unless Mario is some revolutionary masterwork.

1106628.png?51566395

avatar
Country: BE
Comments: 4442
News Posts: 268
Joined: 2013-06-11
 
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 13:26:40
+1
travo said:

Yeah, same here.  I've moved on to other games.  My wife and son still play it though.

I've noticed that with me having less time to invest in the game, I'm gravitating more towards Salmon Run as it's no fun getting beaten to a pulpo (hah!) in competitive modes while you know you're not on top of your game;

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 43100
News Posts: 54685
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 14:31:11
+1

Wusses.

avatar
Country: BE
Comments: 4442
News Posts: 268
Joined: 2013-06-11
 
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 14:37:58
+1
gamingeek said:

Wusses.

You come tell me that to my face in a game of Splatoon this evening.  angry  Oh, right.  You can't because you don't have the required app for voice chat!

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 11303
News Posts: 247
Joined: 2008-07-03
 
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 14:52:14
+1
gamingeek said:

Wusses.

You're too scared to try out Mario + Rabbids.

The VG Press

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 43100
News Posts: 54685
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 14:57:12
+1
SupremeAC said:

You come tell me that to my face in a game of Splatoon this evening.  angry  Oh, right.  You can't because you don't have the required app for voice chat!

Winphone Traitor.

aspro said:

1. Small.

2. Wii U in reverse (computer in tablet, box on TV empty shell).

3. BOTW looks the same on U and Switch, so don't really have a read on if it's more powerful than U.

4. Joycons, when connected to tablet bend a fair bit.

5. Pro Controller is competant.

6. Meh. Waiting for Odyssey.

You need a few games to play before judging it. BOTW has a higher resolution and more consistent frame rate on Switch over U. But there are other games with larger visual gains like FAST RMX and MK8.

Splatoon 1 vs 2 is a pretty big jump. ARMS also looks great.

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 43100
News Posts: 54685
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 14:57:47
+1
travo said:

You're too scared to try out Mario + Rabbids.

Too cheap.

There's a difference.  

avatar
Country: BE
Comments: 4442
News Posts: 268
Joined: 2013-06-11
 
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 15:09:55
+1
gamingeek said:
SupremeAC said:

You come tell me that to my face in a game of Splatoon this evening.  angry  Oh, right.  You can't because you don't have the required app for voice chat!

Winphone Traitor.

Winphone ambandonned me!

Also, I'm pretty sure those Salmon Run images are bullshots.  As far as I know, there's no depth of field during gameplay in Splatoon2.

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 43100
News Posts: 54685
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 20:21:58
+1
There is dof. That's my excuse when I get killed.

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 43100
News Posts: 54685
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 20:22:43
+1
Stop hamster balling me on splatoon. I'm trying to level up crappy equipment

avatar
Country: BE
Comments: 4442
News Posts: 268
Joined: 2013-06-11
 
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 20:33:22
+1
Ok, I'll go back to tentamissiles.
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 43100
News Posts: 54685
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 21:39:34
+1

Tried using a splat charger on Musselforge. Godamn they have screwed snipers in Splatoon 2. No sight lines whatsoever. Crappy specials

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 13897
News Posts: 213
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 14 Sep 2017 16:36:49
+2

Image result for sheena shaw lingerie

1106628.png?51566395

next >>
Log in or Register for free to comment
Recently Spotted:
*crickets*
Login @ The VG Press
Username:
Password:
Remember me?