Forum > Gaming Discussion > Little Kings Story (Wii) the triple AAA reviews keep rolling in GOTY thread
Little Kings Story (Wii) the triple AAA reviews keep rolling in GOTY thread
<< prevnext >>
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47963
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 08 Jan 2010 21:17:54
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47963
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sun, 10 Jan 2010 13:22:21

Little Kings Story Interview Cubed 3 EditDelete

Apricot was an homage to Princess Peach.

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 16205
News Posts: 1043
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 11 Jan 2010 01:57:37

gamingeek said:

Little Kings Story Interview Cubed 3 EditDelete

Apricot was an homage to Princess Peach.

Duh! Nyaa

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47963
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 10 Sep 2010 12:10:28




     HD pics

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 18964
News Posts: 8990
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Sun, 19 Dec 2010 02:16:45

I just started playing this. The dialog is nice. It does in fact look good on a HD set. I like the use of classical music and the fake language.

I've read the manual from cover to cover and read all the in-game tutorial and so far the first hour has been a fairly poor gameplay experience.

EDIT: Okay my problem was that I read the manual. I was trying to assign jobs to my hopeless people before I had any job skill training centers.  I now have five farmers and enough money to buiold a military training academy.

Okay... four hours later. This game is like crack.  Holy Cow.  I've been playing it for four hours straight, I couldn't stop.

Edited: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 05:43:46

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47963
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sun, 19 Dec 2010 14:21:01
aspro said:

I just started playing this. The dialog is nice. It does in fact look good on a HD set. I like the use of classical music and the fake language.

I've read the manual from cover to cover and read all the in-game tutorial and so far the first hour has been a fairly poor gameplay experience.

EDIT: Okay my problem was that I read the manual. I was trying to assign jobs to my hopeless people before I had any job skill training centers.  I now have five farmers and enough money to buiold a military training academy.

Okay... four hours later. This game is like crack.  Holy Cow.  I've been playing it for four hours straight, I couldn't stop.

This game is so well paced, at one point you realise that you've only been pootling about a small area of the game, there is a huge map to explore.

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 18964
News Posts: 8990
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Sun, 19 Dec 2010 23:46:40

I am at a stand still for a moment in the game. I'm suppoed to be going after some dark Onii Prince to the south, but there is a graffitied wall blocking the way.  So I'm just making money to max out all possible town planning opportunities (only two left, the shopping arcade and some other thing).

One memorable moemtn for me so far, really early in the game when you clear the cemetary some nutjob appears wanting to buld a church.  I tried to get my Battle Team to kill him, they wouldn't.  I figured he was a bit loopy, so for the longest time I put off letting him build his church.

Also, when some soldiers accidently died in a mining accident, that was heartfelt. "Mike has kicked the bucket" NOT MIKE!!!!!  But then they turn up the next day anyway. I wish they had gone the Suikoden route and had permadeath for the citizenry.

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 16205
News Posts: 1043
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 20 Dec 2010 03:41:09
aspro said:

I am at a stand still for a moment in the game. I'm suppoed to be going after some dark Onii Prince to the south, but there is a graffitied wall blocking the way.  So I'm just making money to max out all possible town planning opportunities (only two left, the shopping arcade and some other thing).

One memorable moemtn for me so far, really early in the game when you clear the cemetary some nutjob appears wanting to buld a church.  I tried to get my Battle Team to kill him, they wouldn't.  I figured he was a bit loopy, so for the longest time I put off letting him build his church.

Also, when some soldiers accidently died in a mining accident, that was heartfelt. "Mike has kicked the bucket" NOT MIKE!!!!!  But then they turn up the next day anyway. I wish they had gone the Suikoden route and had permadeath for the citizenry.

They can die permanently, but they can also wash up on the beach! The funerals are fun when someone dies permanently.

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47963
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 20 Dec 2010 12:33:48
aspro said:

I am at a stand still for a moment in the game. I'm suppoed to be going after some dark Onii Prince to the south, but there is a graffitied wall blocking the way.  So I'm just making money to max out all possible town planning opportunities (only two left, the shopping arcade and some other thing).

One memorable moemtn for me so far, really early in the game when you clear the cemetary some nutjob appears wanting to buld a church.  I tried to get my Battle Team to kill him, they wouldn't.  I figured he was a bit loopy, so for the longest time I put off letting him build his church.

Also, when some soldiers accidently died in a mining accident, that was heartfelt. "Mike has kicked the bucket" NOT MIKE!!!!!  But then they turn up the next day anyway. I wish they had gone the Suikoden route and had permadeath for the citizenry.

Build the church, you need it to marry people and have kids. Kids can grow into adults or you can use them to climb blue trees and bring back artwork. Also, I think you go left at the path where that wall is and around.

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 18964
News Posts: 8990
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Thu, 23 Dec 2010 06:11:35

From EDGE magazine's preview (keeping in mind they are one of the few outlets that in their previews gives any negative input -- here they have none).

"Considering LKS' development pedigree - a dream team boasting DQ VIII, FF XII, Harvest Moon and Mario and Luigi RPG across their resumes (CV's) -- it's interesting to see Marvelous's monarch 'em up borrow mostly from a title absent from that list - Nintendo's Pikmin. You make kingly decrees to direct town management, but the meat of the adventure involves flinging citizens into professions and conquering foreign lands in the name of the almighty Alpolko.

Tagging along like Olimar's vegetable army, your chosen professionals are not directed with the precision of a tossed Pikmin. Instead, the game employs a context-sensitive line of sight. ... Where swarming tactics sufficed in Pikmin, this focuses on judicious use of retreats, strategic depth found in navigating attack patterns.

While mechanically sound, it's the queer sense of humor that will undoubtedly woo players onwards.... A brilliant localization holds it all together, one rival king setting the tone with smack talk aimed at the 'Kingdom of Al-Jerk-o'

In time spent away from the battlefield, Marvelous's rural Harvest Moon roots are felt.  There are funds to be raised, minerals to be mined and problems to be solved.  The toil is toned down a notch - there's no way way to lose, progress simply stalls - but it's good to see these ideas outside of a Moon spinoff.  Most impressively, it arrives at a time when new Wii IP tiredly veers between family fare and snaring the disenfranchised core gamer.  Charming and cheery, but never at the cost of scope, LKS proves these worlds needn't be exclusive.

1. GG please add this to the thread 01 index.

2. Robio, please tell me you;ve played this game.

Edited: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 06:14:37

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47963
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 23 Dec 2010 13:16:51
aspro said:

1. GG please add this to the thread 01 index.

2. Robio, please tell me you;ve played this game.

What index?

Dark Robio played and didn't like this game.

You have to pimp this to Dvader and Archie who poke at the game box like it was poop in a bag.

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 18964
News Posts: 8990
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:02:08

Yeah, Yoda too.  I think this is going to be one of those games that when we look back at the Wii library in the future will have that same gleam as a Panzer Dragoon Saga or Earthbound.  It's legend will grow -i aided by the demise of CING.

In the first post of this thread you have an index to content, you can link individual poasts to make it easy to find content later (like I did in the Skyrim thread).

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47963
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:11:24
aspro said:

Yeah, Yoda too.  I think this is going to be one of those games that when we look back at the Wii library in the future will have that same gleam as a Panzer Dragoon Saga or Earthbound.  It's legend will grow -i aided by the demise of CING.

In the first post of this thread you have an index to content, you can link individual poasts to make it easy to find content later (like I did in the Skyrim thread).

Oh that index.

Steel has to play this too. It's a crime the price you can get this game for and how many people ignored it on release. And also, I still can't see why the European reviews are so much higher than the US ones, is it because it's not a blockbuster type game? Going back to the start of this thread you can see the almost wholly positive reception the game got from European reviewers.

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 18964
News Posts: 8990
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:25:10

The only North American review I read was gamespot's and it was very favorable -- I think an 8.5.  They are the only NA reviews people I pay any attention to (because I "know" the five reviewers well enough that I know their biases and can factor that in).  I don't want to get into a conversation about review scores, but I don't think it's helpful to nationalise review score averages. To kill any argument all I'd have to do is point to a stack of profusely positive US Play magazines or unnecessarily picky UK EDGE magazines. (Toward the goal of illustratrating that discussions of review scores are pointless).

EDIT: In the next two days I'll transcribe EDGE's review of LKS into this thread for future reference.

Edited: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 20:01:56

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47963
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 24 Dec 2010 12:33:27
aspro said:

The only North American review I read was gamespot's and it was very favorable -- I think an 8.5.  They are the only NA reviews people I pay any attention to (because I "know" the five reviewers well enough that I know their biases and can factor that in).  I don't want to get into a conversation about review scores, but I don't think it's helpful to nationalise review score averages. To kill any argument all I'd have to do is point to a stack of profusely positive US Play magazines or unnecessarily picky UK EDGE magazines. (Toward the goal of illustratrating that discussions of review scores are pointless).

EDIT: In the next two days I'll transcribe EDGE's review of LKS into this thread for future reference.

You're like a year too late. The review is already up to read online.

I would nationalise reviews because look at the title of this thread. Over the first couple of weeks the 9/10 reviews kept rolling in one after the other, people loved it. When it came out in the US the 8/10s rolled in. The game is better than that, IMO the US reviewers are too preoccupied with graphics, online modes and tech. Little Kings Story is the antithesis of that. It's like if a SNES game was made using GC tech. It's all about charm and character.

Edited: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 12:34:02

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 18964
News Posts: 8990
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Fri, 24 Dec 2010 23:35:45

Back to the game...

There is quite a bit of room for improvement with this game, but that could be because I am playing it in large chunks, maybe if you were playing it 30 minutes a day these small things would not be as noticable.

- Warp cannon only works to very limited locations.  You can build them in some areas, but not others.

- Map is fairly useless, the names on the map don't always correspond with the names given in the citizen quests.  Also, being able to place a waypoint would be useful given the meandering and crowded course you have to take.

- When traveling in large groups it's often difficult not to lose at least a couple of troops when goin up the stairs to a higher region.  You can use the Evade formation, but even that doesnt always work.

- The game drags for hours at a time.  Nothing to do but citizen quests (and the citizens wuests are identical to each other).

- Manipulating different class types within a formation is too basic.  It battle you have to keep shuffling the non-fighting classes to the back.

EDGE complained about back-tracking, but I'm not finding it that much of a hassle.

- The music is amazing at first, but repetitive to a fault after hearing the same 3-4 tunes hundreds of times.

I'm 15 hours in now, hoping I can get this done with in under 25 (or alternately some kind of change in the game that will breathe new life into it).

Edited: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 06:26:37

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 18964
News Posts: 8990
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Tue, 28 Dec 2010 01:30:32

HELP!

Okay, I've opened up the Boney whatever place and have no clue as to what to do next.  I've gone over there and everythign is either closed off by a bunch of bones or some black slime, and I have nowhere else to conquer.

I think I fell off the rails with this game because I was waiting for it to prompt me to do the next thing (which this game never will) and wasted about 4 hours doing meaningless sidequests, so I am hoping someone can help me with some guidance as to what to do next.

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 17575
News Posts: 761
Joined: 2009-02-25
 
Tue, 28 Dec 2010 13:43:57

To answer your earlier question, yes I played it but I never got that into it. I got hung up on a particular boss battle and couldn't beat it for the life of me, so I just stopped playing it and never went back. No regrets though. It just never felt like my thing.

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 47963
News Posts: 59772
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 28 Dec 2010 17:52:57
aspro said:

HELP!

Okay, I've opened up the Boney whatever place and have no clue as to what to do next.  I've gone over there and everythign is either closed off by a bunch of bones or some black slime, and I have nowhere else to conquer.

I think I fell off the rails with this game because I was waiting for it to prompt me to do the next thing (which this game never will) and wasted about 4 hours doing meaningless sidequests, so I am hoping someone can help me with some guidance as to what to do next.

There is always something to do in the main game, you just haven't worked it out yet and you're wasting your time on the citizen's letter quests right?

I came to a point in this game too. You have to wander about, get into a fight with a boss or mid-level type boss and that clears the area which allows you to build your next area, get your new character class, and proceed. I had avoided a particular enemy as he seemed tough, because I avoided him I never beat him and cleared the area to build. Only the game never told me. Leo helped me - the key is with the quests you are mailed, the 5 star ones, the tough ones are usually bosses that you have to beat. Look in your letters, see if anyone wants you to beat a boss and make sure it isn't some 2 star piece of piss quest.

You may have to shuffle your quests about as you can only have a couple active at one time. Beat a GUARDIAN and then proceed, IIRC the letter should specifically mention a GUARDIAN.

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 18964
News Posts: 8990
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Tue, 28 Dec 2010 20:03:15

Thanks, I'll look through the suggesiton box and find some 5 stars.  I was able to storm through two bosses in quick succession once I found them, but since then it's been idling.  I'll get back into it this morning.

<< prevnext >>
Log in or Register for free to comment
Recently Spotted:
*crickets*
Login @ The VG Press
Username:
Password:
Remember me?