Forum > Gaming Discussion > Just another Mario game
Just another Mario game
<< prevnext >>
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6343
News Posts: 411
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:08:31
Dvader said:

 Yes I love the second best platforming franchise in gaming, I am so weird.   

 That's like wanting to live on the second most inhabitable planet in the solar system.

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 14648
News Posts: 2156
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:15:08

Iga_Bobovic said:

Ravenprose said:
BTW, there is no gap! Only a tiny crevice.

My point exactly, there is no huge gap. And where you put the order of them is open to debate.

Right now, it's battling against SMB 3 for third place on my list. We'll see, but it will not dethrone SMW or the original SMB.

The VG Press

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31189
News Posts: 1716
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:17:59

Iga_Bobovic said:

Dvader said:

Iga_Bobovic said:

Dvader said:

aspro said:

Dvader said:
1. SM3
2. SMW
3. NSMB Wii
4. SMB
5. NSMB DS
6. SMB 2

Wow. #3? Then I may as well buy it now through the VGPress Store.

"This item is not available for purchase from this store.
Click here to go to Amazon to see other purchasing options."

Bummer, looks like I'll have to buy it direct.  But you think that highly of it eh?

EDIT: Well that's f'd up. I went to buy it from amazon.com but it looks likr their stock is depleted. hey only have it from private parties (starting at $67).


As I said before its a 9 level game for sure. But there is a HUGE gap between SMW and NSMB Wii. If allowed Yoshi's Island should be in between.

No there is not. Silence Sonic lover!

Yes I love the second best platforming franchise in gaming, I am so weird.

And yes there is a gap, while it is true that NSMB does many new things like the way it handles total darkness and some of the cool uses of the wiimote it still plays things safe. One of the best ways to see this is play one of the airship levels, clearly it is trying to be like SMB3 but take almost any of the SMB3 airship levels and they are flat out better, plus it did it first. The game still feels safe, which is something Galaxy didn't feel. Now the star world in NSMB is brilliant, if all levels were that wild then I would agree with you.



Sonic used to be 2nd best. Those days are long gone.

SMW and SMB3 had filler levels. Levels that had nothing special. All NSMBWii levels are distinct from each other, so far. Things are not repeated. And the airship levels had way more stuff happening in NSMBWii than in SMB32.

For instance there is only one level with bloopers. Just once, then they dropped it and used other enemies. This is done in every level. The boss fights are better also. So far I say NSMBWii is better than SMB3, but I will have to play SMW again to be certain. SMW has a much better world map. SMB3 and NSMBWii don't have a world map. All levels are separate.

P.S. watch the spoilers

P.P.S. yes, you are weird DKC2 hater

You fight Bowser at the end!!!

Yes NSMB keeps things interesting but again all stuff we have seen. SMB3 was insane. In the desert all of a sudden the sun would chase you and try to kill you! Or how about a level made of spikes and you had to hop into a boot and hop through it to stay alive. It had little big world, no world in NSMB is as genius as that one. How about Pipe world with its pipe mazes, nothing in NSMB is as inspired as that. Tanooki suit!

Miyamoto agrees with me on DKC2, Miya freaking moto. That means I am automatically right and you are wrong.

Edited: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:22:01
660896.png
avatar
Country: NL
Comments: 9411
News Posts: 9625
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:20:50

Dvader said:

Iga_Bobovic said:

Dvader said:

Iga_Bobovic said:

Dvader said:

aspro said:

Dvader said:
1. SM3
2. SMW
3. NSMB Wii
4. SMB
5. NSMB DS
6. SMB 2

Wow. #3? Then I may as well buy it now through the VGPress Store.

"This item is not available for purchase from this store.
Click here to go to Amazon to see other purchasing options."

Bummer, looks like I'll have to buy it direct.  But you think that highly of it eh?

EDIT: Well that's f'd up. I went to buy it from amazon.com but it looks likr their stock is depleted. hey only have it from private parties (starting at $67).


As I said before its a 9 level game for sure. But there is a HUGE gap between SMW and NSMB Wii. If allowed Yoshi's Island should be in between.

No there is not. Silence Sonic lover!

Yes I love the second best platforming franchise in gaming, I am so weird.

And yes there is a gap, while it is true that NSMB does many new things like the way it handles total darkness and some of the cool uses of the wiimote it still plays things safe. One of the best ways to see this is play one of the airship levels, clearly it is trying to be like SMB3 but take almost any of the SMB3 airship levels and they are flat out better, plus it did it first. The game still feels safe, which is something Galaxy didn't feel. Now the star world in NSMB is brilliant, if all levels were that wild then I would agree with you.



Sonic used to be 2nd best. Those days are long gone.

SMW and SMB3 had filler levels. Levels that had nothing special. All NSMBWii levels are distinct from each other, so far. Things are not repeated. And the airship levels had way more stuff happening in NSMBWii than in SMB32.

For instance there is only one level with bloopers. Just once, then they dropped it and used other enemies. This is done in every level. The boss fights are better also. So far I say NSMBWii is better than SMB3, but I will have to play SMW again to be certain. SMW has a much better world map. SMB3 and NSMBWii don't have a world map. All levels are separate.

P.S. watch the spoilers

P.P.S. yes, you are weird DKC2 hater

You fight Bowser at the end!!!

Miyamoto agrees with me on DKC2, Miya freaking moto. That means I am automatically right and you are wrong.

 Miyamoto also hates Sonic! True story!

The VG Press
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31189
News Posts: 1716
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:21:34
Damn it read my edit.
660896.png
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6343
News Posts: 411
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:23:14
Dvader said:

 Miyamoto agrees with me on DKC2

Incorrect.  Miyamoto dislikes Donkey Kong Country -- the first one.  The one you like.

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 36
News Posts: 0
Joined: 2009-11-29
 
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:25:36
I dislike everything a Sonic fan likes!
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 14648
News Posts: 2156
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:27:59

Miyamoto said:
I dislike everything a Sonic fan likes!

Even your own games?

The VG Press

avatar
Country: NL
Comments: 9411
News Posts: 9625
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:33:36

Dvader said:

 

Yes NSMB keeps things interesting but again all stuff we have seen. SMB3 was insane. In a desert all of a sudden the sun would chase you and try to kill you! Or how about a level made of spikes and you had to hop into a boot and hop through it to stay alive. It had little big world, no world in NSMB is as genius as that one. How about Pipe world with its pipe mazes, nothing in NSMB is as inspired as that. Tanooki suit!

 

 SMB3 also had no save feature. Making it practically impossible to finish the game without using the warp flutes. The Snes version fixed that, but they really should have build in save feature.

The pipe maze was boring to be honest. And most fortresses were just more difficult variations of each other. NSMBWii does new things like rotating en swivelling of platform that were not possible on the NES and had to use SuperFX on the SNES. Plus sometimes the level are so filled with enemies, it feels a bit like contra. 

The tanooki suit was not that fun to be honest, I like the penguin suit more. The best power-up is the cape, but also the most broken, so it is understandable that one is removed. I agree that Big World was awesome, though. That is the one I remember the most.

There are many levels now I can mention as brilliant in SMBWii, but I won't because some people are still playing it or have not played it yet. 

But who cares about the order you put SMW, SMB3, YI and NSMBWii. The is no huge gap in quality between them. You are letting nostalgia cloud your judgement.


The VG Press
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31189
News Posts: 1716
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:34:08

Yodariquo said:
Dvader said:

Miyamoto agrees with me on DKC2

Incorrect.  Miyamoto dislikes Donkey Kong Country -- the first one.  The one you like.

I don't like the first one.

660896.png
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6343
News Posts: 411
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:36:01
Dvader said:

Yodariquo said:
Dvader said:

Miyamoto agrees with me on DKC2

Incorrect.  Miyamoto dislikes Donkey Kong Country -- the first one.  The one you like.

I don't like the first one.

Ok, so you don't just suck specifically, you suck in general.

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31189
News Posts: 1716
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:45:26

Iga_Bobovic said:

But who cares about the order you put SMW, SMB3, YI and NSMBWii. The is no huge gap in quality between them. You are letting nostalgia cloud your judgement.


Maybe so, maybe not. I still believe that SMW, SMB3 and YI are all games that when released were considered amoung the very very very best games. NSMB is not and it is not just me, I dont see NSMB being in the discussion of best game ever, the other three are. Call it a change in the times or whatever but NSMB does not have me jumping out of my chair in amazement. You have to put the games in context as well, when SMB3 came out it was so far ahead of everything it was like Nintendo went into a time machine and brought a future game back. Years and years have gone by and all they can do is make a game that plays it safe. Yeah it is designed very well, it has a few neat new tricks and is high quality throughout but those other Mario games were groundbreaking,  this game isn't.

660896.png
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31189
News Posts: 1716
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:45:57

Yodariquo said:
Dvader said:

Yodariquo said:
Dvader said:

Miyamoto agrees with me on DKC2

Incorrect.  Miyamoto dislikes Donkey Kong Country -- the first one.  The one you like.

I don't like the first one.

Ok, so you don't just suck specifically, you suck in general.

What is this, the DKC I enjoy platformers with crappy level design defense force.

660896.png
avatar
Country: NL
Comments: 9411
News Posts: 9625
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:55:05

Dvader said:

Iga_Bobovic said:

But who cares about the order you put SMW, SMB3, YI and NSMBWii. The is no huge gap in quality between them. You are letting nostalgia cloud your judgement.


Maybe so, maybe not. I still believe that SMW, SMB3 and YI are all games that when released were considered amoung the very very very best games. NSMB is not and it is not just me, I dont see NSMB being in the discussion of best game ever, the other three are. Call it a change in the times or whatever but NSMB does not have me jumping out of my chair in amazement. You have to put the games in context as well, when SMB3 came out it was so far ahead of everything it was like Nintendo went into a time machine and brought a future game back. Years and years have gone by and all they can do is make a game that plays it safe. Yeah it is designed very well, it has a few neat new tricks and is high quality throughout but those other Mario games were groundbreaking,  this game isn't.

Check out the thread at Neogaf. Plenty of people think of it highly. The reason publications do not like it as much is simple. It is a 2D platformer, with fairly simplistic art style and no orchestrated music. No epic plot, no online and thematically it is 2 steps back. Read my impressions in the official thread. 

And yes SMB3 and World were more revolutionary, but there are plenty of little innovations in each level in Wii also. Not the big innovations of the previous ones, but the 2D platformer is simply perfected at this point. Besides crazy gravity effect (which are in Galaxy) there is not much they can do.

However there are some things in NSMBWii that the Galaxy team should learn from. 

The VG Press
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31189
News Posts: 1716
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Thu, 17 Dec 2009 00:09:41

Iga_Bobovic said:


Check out the thread at Neogaf. Plenty of people think of it highly. The reason publications do not like it as much is simple. It is a 2D platformer, with fairly simplistic art style and no orchestrated music. No epic plot, no online and thematically it is 2 steps back. Read my impressions in the official thread.

And yes SMB3 and World were more revolutionary, but there are plenty of little innovations in each level in Wii also. Not the big innovations of the previous ones, but the 2D platformer is simply perfected at this point. Besides crazy gravity effect (which are in Galaxy) there is not much they can do.

However there are some things in NSMBWii that the Galaxy team should learn from.

The 2D platformer can do a lot more. Time based mechanics as Braid showcased. LBP allows the 2D platformer to almost become any genre with vehicles, giant contraptions, or puzzles. Sonic did gravity way before Mario did and did it in 2D. Maybe the classic Mario formula is perfected by why does it need to be a by the book Mario game, SMB3 and SMW were cutting edge, and so was Yoshi's Island. Back then the standard Mario game was a revolutionary platformer, now the standard 2D Mario game is to walk in the shadows of those games. And until Nintendo says "fuck it, lets make the most fucking awesome 2D game ever made, lets destroy all preconceptions, lets surpass all expectations" I don't know if a new Mario game can ever match those games.

660896.png
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31189
News Posts: 1716
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Thu, 17 Dec 2009 00:33:16
Where are you, respond! Tear down my argument, challenge me!

Sad

The reality is that I have work to do and I am procrastinating cause this discussion has been fun. But you left. Sigh, guess I better get to work.
660896.png
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 36
News Posts: 0
Joined: 2009-11-29
 
Thu, 17 Dec 2009 01:03:49
Sonic sucks!
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 36
News Posts: 0
Joined: 2009-11-29
 
Thu, 17 Dec 2009 01:05:09
...oh and stop playing my Zelda games, Sonic-lover, you're tarnishing my series image!

...and Wesker is gay!
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6343
News Posts: 411
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 17 Dec 2009 01:45:55
Miyamoto said:
...and Wesker is gay!

Wouldn't he consider that a good thing?

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 36
News Posts: 0
Joined: 2009-12-15
 
Thu, 17 Dec 2009 02:03:58
Wesker isn't gay.  Well not in the sense that he has gay sex.  Wesker can't get it up, and he welded his butthole shut years ago in some strange experiment to become some kind of assless super zombie. He's an asexual pud who tries to stimulate himself by playing Chubby Cherub.
<< prevnext >>
Log in or Register for free to comment
Recently Spotted:
*crickets*
Login @ The VG Press
Username:
Password:
Remember me?