Forum > Gaming Discussion > The VG Press Greatest Games Ever list.
The VG Press Greatest Games Ever list.
<< prevnext >>
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46253
News Posts: 59731
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 11:05:26

aspro said:

Ravenprose said:
Don't forget Stranglehold! GG LOVES Stranglehold!

Gg loves Stranglehold? I thought I was the only one?

You ARE the only one.

Damned freak.

I hope you've seen all the heroic bloodshed movies, Hard Boiled, Better tommorrow etc.

avatar
Country: MX
Comments: 11479
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 14:10:26
Hmm, GG likes Stranglehold? I might pick up a SE copy I saw at my BB yesterday then.
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46253
News Posts: 59731
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 16:09:00

SteelAttack said:
Hmm, GG likes Stranglehold? I might pick up a SE copy I saw at my BB yesterday then.

Dont listen to the nefarious lies!

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 18065
News Posts: 8760
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 19:45:59

gamingeek said:

aspro said:

Ravenprose said:
Don't forget Stranglehold! GG LOVES Stranglehold!

Gg loves Stranglehold? I thought I was the only one?

You ARE the only one.

Damned freak.

I hope you've seen all the heroic bloodshed movies, Hard Boiled, Better tommorrow etc.

 I'll go ahead and cancel the Stranglehold Fan Club letterhead then Sad  Nope, I have not seen those films, the game stands on it's own in terms of narrative and theme.  It was Uncharted before Uncharted.  

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 18065
News Posts: 8760
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 19:55:25

aspro said:

I just went through my collection and I've narrowed my top 25 to 70 games.  Now comes the hard part.

I just went through the list after a night's sleep, and I still can't take any of these 70 off the list, let alone put them in order. How did you guys do this?

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6343
News Posts: 411
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 20:03:14
aspro said:

aspro said:

I just went through my collection and I've narrowed my top 25 to 70 games.  Now comes the hard part.

I just went through the list after a night's sleep, and I still can't take any of these 70 off the list, let alone put them in order. How did you guys do this?

Not all of us have 2,200 games to go through Nyaa

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 18065
News Posts: 8760
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:03:27
1     resident evil 4     Wii
2     dragon quest heroes: rocket slime     ds
3     god of war     ps2
4     no more heroes     wii
5     SMB 3     nes
6     doom     pc
7     chrono cross     ps
8     final fantasy tactics      ps
9     final fantasy II     snes
10     metal gear solid     ps
11     soul calibur     dc
12     skies of arcadia     dc
13     harvest moon back to nature     ps
14     super mario world     snes
15     animal crossing     gc
16     gears of war     360
17     river raid     2600
18     gran turismo 2     ps
19     burnout 3     xb
20     simcity 3000     pc
21     Yakuza     ps2
22     uncharted 2     ps3
23     tetris     gb
24     Tom Clancey's Splinter Cell     xb

25     super mario rpg     snes



Edited: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 04:20:18

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6343
News Posts: 411
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:18:15
aspro said:

4     no more heroes     wii

WTF?

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 18065
News Posts: 8760
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:22:30

Yodariquo said:
aspro said:

4     no more heroes     wii

WTF?

I'm surprised you got that far.

I'm a complicated man, what can I say?

It took me and Mrs. Aspro 2 hours to cut down that list.

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6343
News Posts: 411
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:25:58
aspro said:

I'm surprised you got that far.

I'm a complicated man, what can I say?

It took me and Mrs. Aspro 2 hours to cut down that list.

 I have no opinion on the game as I haven't played it, but I'm just surprised because I've never heard it spoken that highly of, as compared to the rest on the list where there's at list a little of that for each.

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

aspro said:

24     Tom Clancey's Splinter Cell     xb
25     super mario rpg     snes

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: NL
Comments: 9410
News Posts: 9625
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:30:16

Yodariquo said:
aspro said:

4     no more heroes     wii

WTF?

Pfttt that is nothing, you should see what he has not put on his list. Like Super Mario Galaxy! Aspro, can you send me your top 70 list. I can use it to make the ultimate top 50 game list.

The VG Press
avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 18065
News Posts: 8760
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Sat, 12 Dec 2009 00:06:19

Iga_Bobovic said:

Yodariquo said:
aspro said:

4     no more heroes     wii

WTF?

Pfttt that is nothing, you should see what he has not put on his list. Like Super Mario Galaxy! Aspro, can you send me your top 70 list. I can use it to make the ultimate top 50 game list.

Yep. SMG was close. Here is what the next batch was:

26unreal tournament pc

27halo Xb

28super mario galaxy Wii

29Panzer dragoon saga saturn

30suikoden 2 p2

31the world ends with you ds

32Elder Scrolls III, The Morrowind xb

33advance wars gba

34ico ps2

35valkyrie profile ps

36scarfacec xb

37shadow hearts covenant ps2

38Legend of Zelda OoT

39wario ware inc: mega microgames gba

40chronicles of riddick xb

41sim citys nes

42lemmings pc

43seaman dc 

(and no top 70 for you Iga, I was dictating the list to the missus as we did it and she deleted the outliers, so I only have the top 46).  We did it brackets style ("Is Battlecars better than 1942? Is 1942 better than Baseball Advance?  and so on...)

Edited: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 03:58:03

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 31189
News Posts: 1716
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Sat, 12 Dec 2009 04:42:28
I want a few more before actually doing something with these lists.
660896.png
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46253
News Posts: 59731
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sat, 12 Dec 2009 19:58:59

aspro said:

gamingeek said:

aspro said:

Ravenprose said:
Don't forget Stranglehold! GG LOVES Stranglehold!

Gg loves Stranglehold? I thought I was the only one?

You ARE the only one.

Damned freak.

I hope you've seen all the heroic bloodshed movies, Hard Boiled, Better tommorrow etc.

I'll go ahead and cancel the Stranglehold Fan Club letterhead then Sad  Nope, I have not seen those films, the game stands on it's own in terms of narrative and theme.  It was Uncharted before Uncharted.  

Holy poop!

So Uncharted is actually shite? Nyaa

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 18065
News Posts: 8760
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Sat, 12 Dec 2009 20:04:46

gamingeek said:

aspro said:
I'll go ahead and cancel the Stranglehold Fan Club letterhead then Sad  Nope, I have not seen those films, the game stands on it's own in terms of narrative and theme.  It was Uncharted before Uncharted.  

Holy poop!

So Uncharted is actually shite? Nyaa

 Well, it's awesome, but it's highly derivitive of Stranglehold.  Seriously though, I think with Stranglehold, as is the case with a lot of my favorite games, is that I went into it with low expectations, and except for the opening scene, which is poor,  there is a lot of fun mechanics and action filled set pieces in the game to make it a worthwhile play through.

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 46253
News Posts: 59731
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sat, 12 Dec 2009 20:46:36

aspro said:

gamingeek said:

aspro said:
I'll go ahead and cancel the Stranglehold Fan Club letterhead then Sad  Nope, I have not seen those films, the game stands on it's own in terms of narrative and theme.  It was Uncharted before Uncharted.  

Holy poop!

So Uncharted is actually shite? Nyaa

Well, it's awesome, but it's highly derivitive of Stranglehold.  Seriously though, I think with Stranglehold, as is the case with a lot of my favorite games, is that I went into it with low expectations, and except for the opening scene, which is poor,  there is a lot of fun mechanics and action filled set pieces in the game to make it a worthwhile play through.

Really? I'm intrigued by this.

How does Stranglehold relate to Uncharted in how it did "it" before Uncharted then?

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 18065
News Posts: 8760
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Sat, 12 Dec 2009 22:08:11

gamingeek said:

aspro said:

gamingeek said:

aspro said:
I'll go ahead and cancel the Stranglehold Fan Club letterhead then Sad  Nope, I have not seen those films, the game stands on it's own in terms of narrative and theme.  It was Uncharted before Uncharted.  

Holy poop!

So Uncharted is actually shite? Nyaa

Well, it's awesome, but it's highly derivitive of Stranglehold.  Seriously though, I think with Stranglehold, as is the case with a lot of my favorite games, is that I went into it with low expectations, and except for the opening scene, which is poor,  there is a lot of fun mechanics and action filled set pieces in the game to make it a worthwhile play through.

Really? I'm intrigued by this.

How does Stranglehold relate to Uncharted in how it did "it" before Uncharted then?

The highly cinematic feel of the game, the direction of the camera: (This shot is in game, from the perspective you would see if you were playing it). The variety of tasks and settings.

 great set peices, here you grind down an ornamental balustrade in a casino and must shoot your enemies as you go:

Variety of settings, here you must destroy a network of shanty drug labs on a remote island:


And the awesome bullet time face-offs that Woo stole back from Max Payne. Youtube is full of great scenes from the game if you want to check them out.

John Woo was involved in the game design pretty thoroughly and it shows, it's a quality game.  Now, it did not make my top 70, I'm not saying it is the best game of all time or anything, but it is certainly worth the time to play it if you have a 360 or PS3 and you can get it new these days for under $15 USD.


avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 14646
News Posts: 2156
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sat, 12 Dec 2009 22:16:55
Stranglehold is a great game. I enjoyed it a lot.

The VG Press

avatar
Country: MX
Comments: 11479
News Posts: 1163
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Sat, 12 Dec 2009 22:30:02
Godfuckingdammit. I'm getting it tomorrow. I can't love Uncharted so much and let a game like this pass unnoticed, Gamingeek be DAMNED! LOL
avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 18065
News Posts: 8760
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Sat, 12 Dec 2009 22:34:07

SteelAttack said:
Godfuckingdammit. I'm getting it tomorrow. I can't love Uncharted so much and let a game like this pass unnoticed, Gamingeek be DAMNED! LOL

Just remember my warning about the first level. It sucks. Get passed that and you won't be dissapointed though. 

Edited: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 22:34:31

<< prevnext >>
Log in or Register for free to comment
Recently Spotted:
*crickets*
Login @ The VG Press
Username:
Password:
Remember me?