Forum > Gaming Discussion > The Official Animal Crossing GOTY Hype Thread
The Official Animal Crossing GOTY Hype Thread
<< prevnext >>
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 14033
News Posts: 2111
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 01 Dec 2008 02:49:03
Dvader said:
So how is this game?

Awesome. Especially now that I've figured out how to work Wii Speak. I just had an hour long online session with a friend of mine, and it was really cool.

At first, I was a little put off because it's very similar to the DS version, but the more I play it, the better it becomes. I can now see a lot of the advancements in the game over the DS version. It's a lot of fun transforming the town. I planted a bunch of flowers in an attempt to crossbreed them; I'm trying to get some black roses. I also spent 3 hours just fishing today, and adding them to my museum's aquarium.

If you've never played the game, this probably doesn't sound like fun, but it actually is. In fact, it's downright addictive. The game is all about relaxing, hanging out with friends online, and collecting as much cool/rare stuff as possible.

Here's a pic of Mii holding a Bitterling in front of my house.

Here's Mii again sitting on my throne.

Edited: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 03:39:33

The VG Press

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 44156
News Posts: 57330
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Mon, 01 Dec 2008 20:08:22
I'm really quite perplexed about how you even begin to approach reviewing this game? I mean you wont be able to experience annual events because of the real time calender. I mean they must have missed Halloween, the acorn festival, the summer festival and all that jazz. Do reviewers literally change the date on their wiis to check out each and every event? Do they have unlocked copies?

Dvader, the game will be better for newcomers than for veterens as the reviews say that it's too similar to past games. That bothers me, but I sold off Wild World months ago in anticipation of this so it's not like I'll be owning the same thing. I'm not sure you would like it, but it's the kind of game that grows on you over a long period of time. For the first few days of playing the DS version I was like: "WTF is this?" I felt like I had wasted my money. Because its based on a real time calender its something you should check each day for 30 minutes, not a game you will sit with for 2 hours and progress as it were.

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 14033
News Posts: 2111
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 02 Dec 2008 02:28:16
gamingeek said:
I'm really quite perplexed about how you even begin to approach reviewing this game? I mean you wont be able to experience annual events because of the real time calender. I mean they must have missed Halloween, the acorn festival, the summer festival and all that jazz. Do reviewers literally change the date on their wiis to check out each and every event? Do they have unlocked copies?

Dvader, the game will be better for newcomers than for veterens as the reviews say that it's too similar to past games. That bothers me, but I sold off Wild World months ago in anticipation of this so it's not like I'll be owning the same thing. I'm not sure you would like it, but it's the kind of game that grows on you over a long period of time. For the first few days of playing the DS version I was like: "WTF is this?" I felt like I had wasted my money. Because its based on a real time calender its something you should check each day for 30 minutes, not a game you will sit with for 2 hours and progress as it were.

I agree that's how most people should play AC, but I've actually been playing it for 2 or 4 hours a day since I bought it. LOL

The VG Press

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 14033
News Posts: 2111
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 02 Dec 2008 07:18:59

Tom Nook in his PJ's!Laughing

I just found this video clip in an AC forum. There's a special Japanese-only version of the Gamecube AC where you can visit the store after hours.

Edited: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 07:27:01

The VG Press

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 44156
News Posts: 57330
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Tue, 02 Dec 2008 10:42:09
Cool^ I love that opening music.

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 14033
News Posts: 2111
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 03 Dec 2008 09:13:13

Nook was selling this in his store today:

Yup, that right. The Hamster now owns a hamster!  You can't see it in the pic, but that hamster is actually running on a wheel. Sealed

Edited: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 09:21:20

The VG Press

avatar
Country: NL
Comments: 9368
News Posts: 9625
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 03 Dec 2008 10:03:33
Ravenprose said:

Nook was selling this in his store today:

Yup, that right. The Hamster now owns a hamster!  You can't see it in the pic, but that hamster is actually running on a wheel. Sealed

Hamster owning a Hamster, that's slavery!! And BTW I can see the hamster clearly in your pic.

The VG Press
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 44156
News Posts: 57330
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 03 Dec 2008 10:57:55
The game should be out this month over here. I have to go check when.

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 14033
News Posts: 2111
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 04 Dec 2008 04:11:31

Dammit to hell! I just caught a Stringfish, one of the more rare fish in Animal Crossing, and the damn game crashed when I tried to save a pic to my SD card. I also lost about an hours worth of work, and got chewed out by Resetti for not saving my game too. Duh? I couldn't save it, you moron! Yell

EDIT: Okay, I'm not mad at the game anymore. Happy

Edited: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 06:25:39

The VG Press

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 14033
News Posts: 2111
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 04 Dec 2008 06:24:41

This is Avery's house, a resident in my town, and I found this pic to be particularly funny. LOL



KABOOOM!!!

Edited: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 06:47:01

The VG Press

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 44156
News Posts: 57330
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 04 Dec 2008 15:58:19
I recognise all of the items from the past games? Any new stuff yet? Sad

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 14033
News Posts: 2111
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 04 Dec 2008 18:09:00
gamingeek said:
I recognise all of the items from the past games? Any new stuff yet? Sad

Well, I've seen a lot of items that I've never seen before in either the GC or ACWW games.

EDIT: I will say this for ACCF, they made the animals converstations a LOT better than they were in past games. It's a far more natural now.

Edited: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 18:55:36

The VG Press

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 44156
News Posts: 57330
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 04 Dec 2008 19:03:00
Show some pics of new items please Happy

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 14033
News Posts: 2111
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 04 Dec 2008 22:14:40
gamingeek said:
Show some pics of new items please Happy

Well, I can't be sure the items I've seen are in fact new to ACCF. It's possible that I just never saw them in AC or ACWW.

Edited: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 07:41:21

The VG Press

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 44156
News Posts: 57330
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 05 Dec 2008 11:33:51
I was watching these videos on the nintendo channel. It's depressing me now, it looks identical to wild world. I don't know if I want this now, but my addiction will force me to pick it up.

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 44156
News Posts: 57330
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 05 Dec 2008 17:59:52
I got the game and played for 3 hours straight today. Grinning

Friend code: 4597 3215 8585

So I thought the online connectivity would rival Mario Kart, no such luck so far, it seems to be tucked away? I hear you can send messages to other people's Wii message boards? All I wanted to do was send out automatic invites like Mario kart, how do I do this?

Bugs needs to get this as well as people (especially people) who have never played an AC game before. I will give impressions later but this is for my money like Galaxy/Smash/Zelda/MP3/Mario Kart in that it delivers the best ever version of a popular franchise. It is a missed opportunity in many, many ways, but still a great game regardless.

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 44156
News Posts: 57330
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 05 Dec 2008 18:02:41
How are you getting your pics online Raven? I can save them to SD, but then? Forward to email?

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 14033
News Posts: 2111
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 05 Dec 2008 18:38:36
gamingeek said:
How are you getting your pics online Raven? I can save them to SD, but then? Forward to email?

I have an SD card slot on my laptop, so I just plug it in there, and upload them. And to TinyPic.com they go!

gamingeek said:
I got the game and played for 3 hours straight today. Grinning

Friend code: 4597 3215 8585

So I thought the online connectivity would rival Mario Kart, no such luck so far, it seems to be tucked away? I hear you can send messages to other people's Wii message boards? All I wanted to do was send out automatic invites like Mario kart, how do I do this?

Bugs needs to get this as well as people (especially people) who have never played an AC game before. I will give impressions later but this is for my money like Galaxy/Smash/Zelda/MP3/Mario Kart in that it delivers the best ever version of a popular franchise. It is a missed opportunity in many, many ways, but still a great game regardless.

Here's the new FC: 4855-0123-8328
Town: Loontown
Native Fruit: Pears

I'm very glad you're enjoying the game, GG. Yeah, I agree that ACCF is a missed opportunity, but it's still a TON of fun.

I need to know your town's name. It's required in order to put you on my Friends List.

There isn't a in-game invite system that I know of. You can send letters to your friends town, but that can take up to a day to reach them.  I've never heard of sending messages from AC to other peoples Wii message boards. I've sent several letters to my friend, and there wasn't any option to send it anywhere else except to his town.

Everyone should at least try Animal Crossing once. It's nearly impossible to explain the game's appeal. A person just has to play it for themselves to see if they like it or not.

Edited: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 18:40:18

The VG Press

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 44156
News Posts: 57330
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 05 Dec 2008 19:00:22
Friend code: 4597 3215 8585
Town name: Fortress

I saw an option in the town hall that said you can send messages to Wii's or something. And that Cat Rover when he is telling you about options all that says that you can send messages to other peoples wii message boards. I seriously thought that Mario kart was some kind of turning point in nintendo's online connectivity. It's not perfect but pretty slick and easy and works well. Why are they reverting?

They NEED to embed a general online channel on the wii dashboard for christsakes.

Who else do you have on your friends lists that I know?

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 14033
News Posts: 2111
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 05 Dec 2008 19:24:15
gamingeek said:
Friend code: 4597 3215 8585
Town name: Fortress

I added you.

What fruit do you have? I have TONs of pears, and I recently planted a cherry tree that a friend gave me; it hasn't fully grown yet, though.

gamingeek said:

I saw an option in the town hall that said you can send messages to Wii's or something. And that Cat Rover when he is telling you about options all that says that you can send messages to other peoples wii message boards. I seriously thought that Mario kart was some kind of turning point in nintendo's online connectivity. It's not perfect but pretty slick and easy and works well. Why are they reverting?

Damn, I must be blind! I never noticed that in the Town Hall before. That sounds like a really cool feature. I never listen to Rover; he/she/it is annoying.

gamingeek said:

Who else do you have on your friends lists that I know?

Unfortunately, nobody.

The VG Press

<< prevnext >>
Log in or Register for free to comment
Recently Spotted:
SupremeAC (5m)
Login @ The VG Press
Username:
Password:
Remember me?