Forum > Non-Gaming Discussion > I am baffled - Can you solve my mouse problem?
I am baffled - Can you solve my mouse problem?
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6340
News Posts: 411
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 01:53:13
0
I have a wireless laser mouse (Logitech MX620).  Great mouse, generally works just fine.  However, there is one issue: the occasional dead spot.  Just while using it, once and a while it will find a spot where it doesn't seem to read (like an optical mouse on a glass surface).  Slight movements over the same spot show the dead zone, but it's small and inconsistent.

I have tried the following:
-Changing surfaces
-Changing lighting
-Changing batteries
-Changing USB ports
-Changing Operating Systems
-Moving the entire computer
-Disabling Wi-Fi
-Getting a warranty replacement mouse

Nothing fixes this.  Switching USB ports is the only thing that seemed to have some effect, but I can't really confirm it because it's not consistently repeatable.

So the source of the problem is entirely unknown.
Edited: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 01:56:08

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 46004
News Posts: 59728
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 13:41:15
0
Weird, no idea. I thought you were talking about our own rodent infestation, damn Hamster.

avatar
Country: CA
Comments: 403
News Posts: 0
Joined: 2008-11-26
 
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:20:24
0
My mouse was doing this last week. It fixed itself, so I don't know what the problem was.
--------------------------------------------

Listen to Iced Earth and play Doom

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 46004
News Posts: 59728
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 17:32:47
0
Yo, while I'm here do you know where I can get a very large or scalable mouse cursor to use all over windows vista for my father. He has bad eyesight.

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6340
News Posts: 411
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 18:34:31
0
gamingeek said:
Yo, while I'm here do you know where I can get a very large or scalable mouse cursor to use all over windows vista for my father. He has bad eyesight.

In the control panel there will be an icon (at least in Classic view) for Mouse settings.  There you can change the cursor including different sizes.

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 46004
News Posts: 59728
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 19:25:14
0

Yodariquo said:
gamingeek said:
Yo, while I'm here do you know where I can get a very large or scalable mouse cursor to use all over windows vista for my father. He has bad eyesight.

In the control panel there will be an icon (at least in Classic view) for Mouse settings.  There you can change the cursor including different sizes.

I did that but you can only get the cursor roughly 2.5 times bigger. I want one that's like an inch large. We're talking baaaad eyesight.

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 46004
News Posts: 59728
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 19:36:04
0

This looks cool.

http://download.cnet.com/CursorFX/3000-2317_4-10070056.html#editorsreview

CursorFX is a program for Windows XP and Windows Vista that enables users to vastly improve the visual appearance and functionality of the Windows mouse cursor. Once installed, users can choose between hundreds of different mouse cursors with fluid animations, smooth edges, unique sizes, and more system event behaviors. In addition, CursorFX supports features such as smooth motion which the default Windows mouse cursor does not.

Version 2.01 adds additional cursors and more options.

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 17922
News Posts: 8727
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 20:43:53
0
Yoda, I tried posting yesterday but my non-standard browser was not liking the new CSS. (No need to think about it, it was an ancient browser).

On the mouse, I've only had that with regular ball mice, never with laser mice (the remedy was to remove the disgusting gum that had built up on the sensors).


Twitter
: @gameunderphil

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6340
News Posts: 411
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 21:07:46
0
aspro said:
Yoda, I tried posting yesterday but my non-standard browser was not liking the new CSS. (No need to think about it, it was an ancient browser).

On the mouse, I've only had that with regular ball mice, never with laser mice (the remedy was to remove the disgusting gum that had built up on the sensors).

Oh I just couldn't handle going back to a rollball mouse.  Optical and laser mice just make a world of difference.

On the browser front, I pretty much designed this site with complete disregard for IE6 and earlier.  The downside is that it comes up sometimes, mostly with an IT deparment at work who is afraid of anything made in the last 8 years.  The upsides are many, including much more elegantly designed markup and simply just time savings.

I was thinking about possible solutions, though, yesterday.  There are aspects of the site where I'm not entirely sure it's actually possible to make it work without essentially just swapping the markup all out for tables.

Depending on how ancient, though, it simply may not be compatible.  IE4 and earlier would not work with the required JavaScript HTTP requests.

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 17922
News Posts: 8727
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 21:25:36
^Yeah, old old version of firefox.

I've been a trackball man for about 10 years now. Less stress on the wrist.


Twitter
: @gameunderphil

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6340
News Posts: 411
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 21:29:20
aspro said:
^Yeah, old old version of firefox.

I've been a trackball man for about 10 years now. Less stress on the wrist.

Firefox or Firebird?  Honestly, I don't think I've seen it rendered Gecko 1.8, so that is actually an important note.

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6340
News Posts: 411
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 22 Oct 2009 00:09:30
Good eye on that one aspro, there were some issues with the Gecko 1.8 (Firefox 2.0) rendering.  The overflow-x attribute was wreaking havoc for unknown reasons (all better now).  I also took a look in IE6 and the site holds up surprisingly well now.
Edited: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 00:12:44

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 17922
News Posts: 8727
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Thu, 22 Oct 2009 05:10:34

Yodariquo said:
Good eye on that one aspro, there were some issues with the Gecko 1.8 (Firefox 2.0) rendering.  The overflow-x attribute was wreaking havoc for unknown reasons (all better now).  I also took a look in IE6 and the site holds up surprisingly well now.

yeah, I'm looking at this in firfox 2.0.0.2 right now and it's all good again. I'm having a hell of a time installing opera on this distro. It goes through like it's working, but in the end nothing.  I'l spend time on it later.


Twitter
: @gameunderphil

avatar
Country: US
Comments: 6340
News Posts: 411
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 22 Oct 2009 05:43:04
aspro said:

Yodariquo said:
Good eye on that one aspro, there were some issues with the Gecko 1.8 (Firefox 2.0) rendering.  The overflow-x attribute was wreaking havoc for unknown reasons (all better now).  I also took a look in IE6 and the site holds up surprisingly well now.

yeah, I'm looking at this in firfox 2.0.0.2 right now and it's all good again. I'm having a hell of a time installing opera on this distro. It goes through like it's working, but in the end nothing.  I'l spend time on it later.

Just use the tarball.  Go to the Opera downloads page and for Ubuntu change the compression method to .tar.gz.  Once downloaded, navigate to the directory (if you're using dolphin, you can press F4 to bring up a command line dialogue right there in the GUI) to run this command line action to extract the files (filename may vary):

tar -xzf opera-10.00.gcc4-shared-qt3.i386.tar.gz

Then in the directory, just run the install script from the command line

./install.sh

And all should be well.

Edited: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 05:47:29

---

Tell me to get back to rewriting this site so it's not horrible on mobile
avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 17922
News Posts: 8727
Joined: 2008-08-18
 
Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:28:52
^Thanks. I'll give that another go today. I ran into some isues with it, I think thatcaused the issue I had with the standard install. Really appreciate it.


Twitter
: @gameunderphil

Log in or Register for free to comment
Recently Spotted:
*crickets*
Login @ The VG Press
Username:
Password:
Remember me?