Forum > Gaming Discussion > Ninja Theory presentation shows the sad state of AAA publishing.
Ninja Theory presentation shows the sad state of AAA publishing.
<< prev
avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 44068
News Posts: 57012
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Wed, 20 Aug 2014 18:14:31

It's not just the death of this mid-tier. It's the death of everything apart from the absolute highest and absolute lowest productions. You're either on a team with over 100 people, usually a fuckton more, or you're a 5 man or under team. Yes there are exceptions.

If AAA is defined by publishers as stuff that will sell, i.e male dominated cinematic shooters, who is going to make games like De Blob for instance? It wont get made cause it's not AAA as defined by publishers and a 4 man team can't make it because it's too big.

We need smallish sized dev teams that can make interesting, innovative games with a high polish on them. The AAA domination wont allow for that. So we get stagnation, where even with new IPs it feels like you've played everything before.

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 30275
News Posts: 1706
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Wed, 20 Aug 2014 18:19:52
gamingeek said:

It's not just the death of this mid-tier. It's the death of everything apart from the absolute highest and absolute lowest productions. You're either on a team with over 100 people, usually a fuckton more, or you're a 5 man or under team. Yes there are exceptions.

If AAA is defined by publishers as stuff that will sell, i.e male dominated cinematic shooters, who is going to make games like De Blob for instance? It wont get made cause it's not AAA as defined by publishers and a 4 man team can't make it because it's too big.

We need smallish sized dev teams that can make interesting, innovative games with a high polish on them. The AAA domination wont allow for that. So we get stagnation, where even with new IPs it feels like you've played everything before.

Nintendo is still making cool games like splatton. So there you go. Plus there is a ton ton ton of variety in the downloadable/ steam universe. Yes a lot of it is old school graphics but there are kinds of games for all.

660896.png
avatar
Country: BE
Comments: 5063
News Posts: 331
Joined: 2013-06-11
 
Wed, 20 Aug 2014 20:31:20
+2
gamingeek said:

who is going to make games like De Blob for instance?

Students of course, duh...

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 44068
News Posts: 57012
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 21 Aug 2014 11:26:08
Dvader said:

Nintendo is still making cool games like splatton. So there you go.

Just Nintendo. Great. sad

Dvader said:

There is a ton ton ton of variety in the downloadable/ steam universe. Yes a lot of it is old school graphics but there are kinds of games for all.

Yes, indie bullshit with 8  bit or 2D graphics. If people actually cared about these, why does no one give a shit about Wii U indie games? It's AAA or nothing.

Who is going to make Endless Ocean? Endless Ocean 2 was a full on 60 hour underwater RPG.

A four man indie team wont make it and publisher won't greelight it as it isn't a $50 million dudebro AAA cinematic production.

We all win with the AAA model. broken heart

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 14573
News Posts: 1029
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 21 Aug 2014 11:38:58
Dvader said:

Plus there is a ton ton ton of variety in the downloadable/ steam universe. Yes a lot of it is old school graphics but there are kinds of games for all.

So no problem if AAA games fuck off and mid-tier and indie reigns supreme. Agreed.

Edited: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 11:57:29
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere  
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst  
Are full of passionate intensity.
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 14841
News Posts: 221
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Thu, 21 Aug 2014 14:51:36
+1
  • Metro Redux
  • Diablo 3
  • Dragon Age 3
  • Destiny
  • Bayonetta 2
  • The Evil Within
  • Shadow of Mordor
  • Alien Isolation
  • Captain Toad
  • The Walking Dead 2
  • Many more

All by the end of the year, and leading into what is going to be a ridiculous 2015 gaming year. The fuck are you guys complaining about????

           4044.png?39869998

avatar
Country: BE
Comments: 5063
News Posts: 331
Joined: 2013-06-11
 
Thu, 21 Aug 2014 15:28:44
edgecrusher said:
  • Metro Redux
  • Diablo 3
  • Dragon Age 3
  • Destiny
  • Bayonetta 2
  • The Evil Within
  • Shadow of Mordor
  • Alien Isolation
  • Captain Toad
  • The Walking Dead 2
  • Many more

All by the end of the year, and leading into what is going to be a ridiculous 2015 gaming year. The fuck are you guys complaining about????

The man's got a point.  Bayonetta, Alien Isolation, Captain Toad, The walking dead 2, those are all mid tier games as far as I'm concerned.  Come to think of it. I consider Platinum to be as mid-tier as they get.

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 30275
News Posts: 1706
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Thu, 21 Aug 2014 15:33:43
SupremeAC said:

The man's got a point.  Bayonetta, Alien Isolation, Captain Toad, The walking dead 2, those are all mid tier games as far as I'm concerned.  Come to think of it. I consider Platinum to be as mid-tier as they get.

True, platinum is not really AAA but it is run by people that used to be the best capcom had. It's mid tier but mid tier that knows how to make a AAA game, fully polished, perfectly designed, the best of its genre. It's rare for usual mid tier developers to do that.

660896.png
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 30275
News Posts: 1706
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Thu, 21 Aug 2014 15:42:35
gamingeek said:

Yes, indie bullshit with 8  bit or 2D graphics. If people actually cared about these, why does no one give a shit about Wii U indie games? It's AAA or nothing.

Who is going to make Endless Ocean? Endless Ocean 2 was a full on 60 hour underwater RPG.

A four man indie team wont make it and publisher won't greelight it as it isn't a $50 million dudebro AAA cinematic production.

We all win with the AAA model. broken heart

They can make a Dudebro endless ocean game. "Explore the ocean and kill it!"

660896.png
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 30275
News Posts: 1706
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Thu, 21 Aug 2014 15:44:38
Foolz said:

So no problem if AAA games fuck off and mid-tier and indie reigns supreme. Agreed.

No, I would like the best games to be made and those are by far AAA games.

660896.png
avatar
Country: CA
Comments: 10759
News Posts: 0
Joined: 2008-07-01
 
Thu, 21 Aug 2014 17:03:17
Dvader said:

They can make a Dudebro endless ocean game. "Explore the ocean and kill it!"

I'd buy that. Nyaa

179417.png
avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 14573
News Posts: 1029
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 22 Aug 2014 01:12:53
Dvader said:

No, I would like the best games to be made and those are by far AAA games.

Nope, there's enough variety in indie for everyone. Suck it up princess.

edgecrusher said:
  • Metro Redux
  • Diablo 3
  • Dragon Age 3
  • Destiny
  • Bayonetta 2
  • The Evil Within
  • Shadow of Mordor
  • Alien Isolation
  • Captain Toad
  • The Walking Dead 2
  • Many more

All by the end of the year, and leading into what is going to be a ridiculous 2015 gaming year. The fuck are you guys complaining about????

It would be a good list if you hadn't included Diablo 3 and Metro Redux, which makes it look desperate when it doesn't need to be...

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere  
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst  
Are full of passionate intensity.
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 14841
News Posts: 221
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 22 Aug 2014 09:47:13
Foolz said:

It would be a good list if you hadn't included Diablo 3 and Metro Redux, which makes it look desperate when it doesn't need to be...

Nothing wrong with better versions of great games. NOTHING!

           4044.png?39869998

avatar
Country: AU
Comments: 14573
News Posts: 1029
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 22 Aug 2014 10:12:10
edgecrusher said:
Foolz said:

It would be a good list if you hadn't included Diablo 3 and Metro Redux, which makes it look desperate when it doesn't need to be...

Nothing wrong with better versions of great games. NOTHING!

Except in the context of a list showing off the wonderful future possibilities of gaming. Nyaa

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere  
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst  
Are full of passionate intensity.
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 14841
News Posts: 221
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 22 Aug 2014 10:53:20
+2
Foolz said:

Except in the context of a list showing off the wonderful future possibilities of gaming. Nyaa

Haha, the future of gaming's enhanced edition possibilities!

           4044.png?39869998

avatar
Country: CA
Comments: 100
News Posts: 0
Joined: 2011-12-31
 
Fri, 22 Aug 2014 12:14:56
edgecrusher said:

Haha, the future of gaming's enhanced edition possibilities!

Happy Having just finished MGS3 HD I simaltaneously laughed and winced at this one.

But yeah. All I'll say is that I pause when I think about gaming's future when compared to the past. Older games I've picked up but haven't even played yet, like Enslaved, Shadows of the Damned and Deus Ex: HR probably all fall into the mid-tier category, and I weep for their passing. That, and that I'm fairly sure that my 2014 GOTY list will have almost no 2014 games on it.


The VG Press
33507.png

avatar
Country: GB
Comments: 44068
News Posts: 57012
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Fri, 22 Aug 2014 15:52:22
Dvader said:

They can make a Dudebro endless ocean game. "Explore the ocean and kill it!"

edgecrusher said:
  • Metro Redux
  • Diablo 3
  • Dragon Age 3
  • Destiny
  • Bayonetta 2
  • The Evil Within
  • Shadow of Mordor
  • Alien Isolation
  • Captain Toad
  • The Walking Dead 2
  • Many more

All by the end of the year, and leading into what is going to be a ridiculous 2015 gaming year. The fuck are you guys complaining about????

Don't confuse last gen ports, cross gen games and Wii U games for AAA next gen productions. We're talking about variety and innovation in AAA games here. Also a lot of the games in your list are firmly within the AAA publishers remit of realistic art style, featuring cinematic shooting and/or space/marines etc. Aliens, Destiny, Evil Within etc.



Also nearly all Wii U games are mid tier and Nintendo doesn't even factor into this conversation, only Zelda is a production on the scale of most western AAA. In fact most Japanese games are midtier.

Can you guys just acknowledge all these developers who get sick of making AAA and start making cellphone games? There is something wrong with the system if it puts people off so much they want to quit their companies. I just saw Chris Seavor former Rare talking about making some casual shit on twitter. Gears of and God of War directors have both left, Inafune is gone, Molyneux and more.

Edited: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 17:13:31

avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 30275
News Posts: 1706
Joined: 2008-06-22
 
Sat, 23 Aug 2014 01:01:55

News page come back!

660896.png
avatar
Country: UN
Comments: 14841
News Posts: 221
Joined: 2008-06-21
 
Sat, 23 Aug 2014 01:23:21
gamingeek said:

Don't confuse last gen ports, cross gen games and Wii U games for AAA next gen productions. We're talking about variety and innovation in AAA games here. Also a lot of the games in your list are firmly within the AAA publishers remit of realistic art style, featuring cinematic shooting and/or space/marines etc. Aliens, Destiny, Evil Within etc.




Also nearly all Wii U games are mid tier and Nintendo doesn't even factor into this conversation, only Zelda is a production on the scale of most western AAA. In fact most Japanese games are midtier.

Can you guys just acknowledge all these developers who get sick of making AAA and start making cellphone games? There is something wrong with the system if it puts people off so much they want to quit their companies. I just saw Chris Seavor former Rare talking about making some casual shit on twitter. Gears of and God of War directors have both left, Inafune is gone, Molyneux and more.

I don't really care what kind of game it is....I'm just listing GREAT GAMES that are out or coming out, of which there is plenty so I don't see a problem. I like games with solid gameplay & the higher quality the production values, the better. I don't care if its considered AAA or mid-tier....does not matter to me.

I don't even get what you're trying to say. So people have left their companies.....yeah? Are you on an anti-AAA mission because some dude wanted to go make cellphone games?

           4044.png?39869998

avatar
Country: CY
Comments: 7370
News Posts: 30
Joined: 2008-06-24
 
Sun, 31 Aug 2014 21:58:14
+1
As with most other sector of the entertainment industry when stagnation comes about people look to the past.  People will dust off their PS2s/Wiis and go on ebay for games like Godhand, Okami, Sin & Punishment, Persona, Trauma Center, Devil May Cry, Punch-Out etc

___

Listen to Wu-Tang and watch Kung-Fu

The VG Press

<< prev
Log in or Register for free to comment
Recently Spotted:
*crickets*
Login @ The VG Press
Username:
Password:
Remember me?